• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will she completely recover

Furballs

Young Bun
I took my little bun Misty to the vets nearly 4 weeks ago now, and she was diagnosed with E Cuniculi (rabbit parasite). This has probably surfaced as a result of her (and my) beautiful husbun Harvey passing away at the end of September. She has never been ill in her life and since Harvey died has had snuffles and now this. I was given a 28 day course of Lapizole, which she has had without fail, and we only have 4 days left. She is much better in herself, but does keep going round in circles still. Does anyone know if this is now permanent? Or will she recover from this? Do I need to be going back to vets? Any advice is appreciated.

Bless her :) Personally I would go back to the vets for a check up anyway to see what they think. It might help to set your mind at rest.
Has she got head tilt? And has an ear infection been ruled out at all? Xx

Bless you. My Luna had EC and she was very poorly, the vets only gave her a 20% chance of recovery but she did eventually make a total recovery. I would take her back to the vets for a check but hopefully it's just a matter foe time x

Bless her :) Personally I would go back to the vets for a check up anyway to see what they think. It might help to set your mind at rest.
Has she got head tilt? And has an ear infection been ruled out at all? Xx

She doesn't have head tilt. When I took her to the vets they said that it initially affects the inner ear, which is why she was going round in circles!
I will perhaps ring the vets tomorrow and she if they want to see her for a check.

I took my little bun Misty to the vets nearly 4 weeks ago now, and she was diagnosed with E Cuniculi (rabbit parasite). This has probably surfaced as a result of her (and my) beautiful husbun Harvey passing away at the end of September. She has never been ill in her life and since Harvey died has had snuffles and now this. I was given a 28 day course of Lapizole, which she has had without fail, and we only have 4 days left. She is much better in herself, but does keep going round in circles still. Does anyone know if this is now permanent? Or will she recover from this? Do I need to be going back to vets? Any advice is appreciated.

Awww I am so sorry you lost your beautiful Harvey :(

I've found that grief can really affect a rabbit's immune system so it's not surprising really that those things have come to the surface.

I had a rabbit who went around in circles, but he did finally stop doing it :) Is the going around in circles the way that the vet diagnosed EC?

I would go back to the vet for a full check up. With EC, often metacam is prescribed, as it's an anti-inflammatory to prevent any swelling in the brain. My vet doesn't prescribe it automatically, but its worth asking about. Also a check in the ears etc ...

And you could think of topping up her immune system with echinacea. A good brand is this one:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract

Wishing you both loads of good luck xx

The bun in my avatar waS diagnosed with EC at 2.5 she is now nearly 10. When she was sick she was completely paralysed. She isn't completely recovered, she's always been a bit wobbly. She now leans on something to groom. And as she's got older she falls o ver more.
But I don't think it's effected her quality of life. She's still been active and rabbity.

The bun in my avatar waS diagnosed with EC at 2.5 she is now nearly 10. When she was sick she was completely paralysed. She isn't completely recovered, she's always been a bit wobbly. She now leans on something to groom. And as she's got older she falls o ver more.
But I don't think it's effected her quality of life. She's still been active and rabbity.

I spoke to the vet yesterday. He advised that it will take quite a while to recover fully (if at all) and therefore I only need to take her back in if she gets worse. She is fine in herself and eating etc etc. She is 4.5 years old now - thankfully I caught it early so she isn't too bad. 😀

That seems good advice. It did take months with my bunny. That was from not moving at all to the stage where she was jumping on the sofas and giving me the run around in the garden.
Also, Google about herbs that may help. I think Echinacea is one.

Back