• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

It's all gone Pete tong... Looking to recover it

Xtra

New Kit
Hi all

This is a long one!!

So had my first rabbit for a few weeks. (Amelia) She is not a very cuddly rabbit and only does what she wants but she is so lovely my husband and I fell in love

We wanted to get her a partner so just over a week ago got what we believed to be a little boy. We started slowly introducing them. We were told not to do it in her territory which was a room upstairs. We therefore took her down to where he was. At first she aggressive through the cage (we kept them separate) and the one time they managed to be together (bit of a **** up) they just kept leaping over them. We were hopeful though as they are both young and the breeder where we got him said that it is better then. The last few times they have either ignored each other or sniffed each other.. But nothing more.

We then found out he was a she! I know bonding females is harder. I also read that bonding requires spending more time near each other than we were giving them. What we therefore have done is moved the new bunny onto the top floor with Amelia but have put a gate between them. Amelia is unhappy as she was allowed in that room when we were home but it was the only way we could have them together but apart... I am now scared that they won't bond.. And Amelia is really upset we won't let her in the other room (planning to leave it a few days before we allow them to meet between the gates as hoping Amelia will have calmed down as I know she will feel that we have taken her territory)

Basically this was the best of a bad situation... But I really need to do whatever I can to help them bond.. Does anyone have any advice??

Thanks for those who didn't give up on my post half way through!

Thanks x

They are 3 months and 3.5 months so not neutered yet. The plan was to do the "dating" for a bit then neuter them before getting them together
The vet has said he was confident he could neuter Amelia at 4 months and the boys can be done at 3 so the timing would have worked out... But now not so much and our rabbit (Oscar clearly a boys name but he has been called it for a few weeks so seems cruel to change it) is really small so no way she can be done for ages
No plan if they don't bond. Praying it doesn't come to that...

I think the best way forward is to wait until they are both spayed (personally I think 4 months is too young), give lots of time for hormones to settle, then try to bond them in a neutral area. If you put them together beforehand and they squabble, this might jeopardise any future bonding. So keep them separate and make sure they can't get to one another.

I was thinking that might be the best way. Not going to be easy though purely from a practical viewpoint but they are worth the hassle

Could they be next to each other do you think or not even able to see each other?

I think they should be ok next to one another but don't allow any aggression if one goes up to the other's cage as this could poil your chances of bonding them.

On a side note- my female and male were sexed incorrectly by the rescue vets (they were over 1 year so no excuse) so we have a male Rosie and female Roger hehe!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Back