• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping warm outdoors

bizziel

Alpha Buck
We moved house this summer and my house-bunnies, Harvey and Coco now have new accommodation in the garden. We moved them outside at the beginning of Oct and they have settled in well. But I have heard this is likely to be a cold winter so I'm worried about them staying warm. They are in a large hutch inside a summerhouse. We have insulated the walls and ceiling with that silver foil stuff and they have anest box with thick vetbed on the bottom and straw. I have put a high-low monitoring thermometer in the summer house and it got down as low as 1 degree in there the other night. Does anyone have any tips on how to keep them warm? How much straw should I put in? Thanks :)

Google acclimatising indoor rabbits to outdoor rabbits. As they generally have warmth options.
Best wishes with it all.

The main thing with rabbits is that they grow a thick winter coat. I am not sure if your two will have had time to do this if they only moved outside in October.

Being in an insulated summerhouse sounds good. Could you get electricity out there and put a small heater in (wall mounted and or caged in)?

I feel pretty sure your rabbits have been growing a nice winter coat and by the time when it is usually colder, ie Jan/Feb they should be fully acclimatised. They have the added protection from the strong winds and rain in the Summer House. Lucky!

Thanks everyone, that's reassuring. I should have said that before they were in the summerhouse they were in a hutch in the garage for 2 months so I don't think the move outside was a big change in temp. I've done a bit of googling and think I'll invest in a snugglesafe for them.

Should I fill their nest box full of straw or will it be OK if they just have enough to burrow into? Tbh they don't seem to like it much, I never see them in there but that may just be that they never had any straw before and they'll appreciate it more when the weather gets really cold.

Last edited:
Maybe try them with a mixture of hay and straw. Flopsy never cared for straw, he acted like it irritated him and it was like it seemed too rough for him. When I added hay into it, he seemed to tolerate it more.

Straw is a great insulator and hay is ... yummy! A cardboard box upside down with a couple of doors cut into it makes a great hidey and stuffed with hay it is really cosy for them.

Hi

My 2 are a nightmare, they've got numerous cosy spots to go in their set up. They just love to sit on a little mat in the run, whatever the weather. Got me on a knife edge worrying about them. But have been assured on here if they are cold they will seek a cosy spot.

Christine xx

Back