• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Abscess has returned What shall I do?

Hi all,
I took my 3.5 yr old bunny to the vets 5 days ago to have a jaw abscess investigated.

After the procedure took place the vet rang me to say she had drained the abscess but was unable to remove it totally due to being deeply seated in the jaw.

I knew that didn't sound good .

I picked up my bunny later that day and the nurse Gave me Baytril to administer orally and was told to bathe the incision once aday with Hibiscrub.
I asked about pain relief and was told it was in the same bottle as Baytril!

YEsterday was the 4th day after operation and I definitely notice the abscess was back.
Today it's a lot bigger and is is back to the size before the operation.

So my dilemma is shall I go back to the same vet or try somewhere else?

I got the impression when the vet called me that there was no more they could do and was told see the bunny goes on with the antibiotics .

Hi all,
I took my 3.5 yr old bunny to the vets 5 days ago to have a jaw abscess investigated.

After the procedure took place the vet rang me to say she had drained the abscess but was unable to remove it totally due to being deeply seated in the jaw.

I picked up my bunny later that day and the nurse Gave me Baytril to administer orally and was told to bathe the incision once aday with Hibiscrub.

YEsterday was the 4th day after operation and I definitely notice the abscess was back.

I got the impression when the vet called me that there was no more they could do and was told see the bunny goes on with the antibiotics .

Hello

I would definitely consult another Vet. Here are some links which may be useful to look at :

*Warning- Graphic images on this link*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Treatment/Facial/abs_dental.htm

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/navc/2006/SAE/615.pdf?LA=1

You could start another thread in 'Rabbit Chat' asking for 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Recommendations' in your area.

I agree with JJ and would seek a consultation with another vet. Ideally one that is extremely rabbit savvy as treatment could take a long time and may need to be adjusted and changed a lot.

Hi all,

Welcome to the Forum, and I am sorry to hear about your rabbit.

What sounds like has happened, is that the abscess was lanced and drained, and it has scabbed over and filled up with pus again. This normally happens if you've not been told to keep it open and drain and clean it twice daily.

Also, Baytril is ineffective against abscesses and an injectable penicillin like Duphapen is usually prescribed.

If I were you I would find a rabbit savvy vet. You can begin another thread with the heading:

"Rabbit savvy vet needed urgently in (your location)" People will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you can contact the RWAF or look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

Good luck and please get back for more advice :wave:

Hi all,

Poor bunny :( I think you should try a different vet, maybe start a separate thread with 'rabbit savvy vet needed in (your area). Never heard of baytril and painkillers being put in the same bottle, they can be given at the same time but actually storing them together is another matter. What does the label say on the medicine?

Welcome to the Forum, and I am sorry to hear about your rabbit.

What sounds like has happened, is that the abscess was lanced and drained, and it has scabbed over and filled up with pus again. This normally happens if you've not been told to keep it open and drain and clean it twice daily.

Also, Baytril is ineffective against abscesses and an injectable penicillin like Duphapen is usually prescribed.

If I were you I would find a rabbit savvy vet. You can begin another thread with the heading:

"Rabbit savvy vet needed urgently in (your location)" People will help you out with their recommendations.

Alternatively you can contact the RWAF or look here:

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/vetfinder/vets-owners-recommendations

Good luck and please get back for more advice :wave:

this baytril doesn't have an effect my late mabel they tried her on it, defo try and get another vet rabbit savvy to see your rabbit for second opinion

I also agree with what everyone else has been saying, especially to find another vet. I have treated an abscess successfully in my rabbit, who had an operation to remove the abscess and then injectable Penicillin. A knowledgeable vet will decide whether to lance and then keep open, clean and drain or wthether to operate, giving the Penicillin injections as well in both scenarios. You will need a vet to examine your rabbit and decide on the best course of treatment.

Sending lots of vibes. I hope all goes well.

Back