• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back with a new bun and a wwyd!

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

My new, and 7th :shock: bun is arriving tomorrow and I'm not sure of the best way to house them.

It's a spur of the moment heart ruling head thing and having only spotted her yesterday online, I'm having a panic. All I knew was that I could give her a good life and avoid her being sold with her tiny hutch she has currently. The small hutch has an upstairs, but you can see in the photos that the ramp is missing and she has hardly any bedding or hay.

I currently have two trios, the first share a 12ftx6ft run, plus playhouse attached with a welfare tunnel.
The second share an 8ftx6ft shed and we have a run we are going to attach.

My questions is, where would you put the new bun? I'm certain that I don't want to upset either trio, so I have the option of seperate accommodation outside or my daughters bedroom.

I'm leaning towards outside,as she does currently live outside, but she might get lonely (don't think she's spayed so getting her a friend is a way off) We do have a huge garden but I don't have long to figure something out. If she came inside, in the meantime, then it might be too cold for her to go back out and she would need to stay in over winter.

I have got a second hand chicken coop, which could be used temporarily and would offer more space than she has had all her life, but it does need some modification.

I'm so confused, please help x

I'd start with outside on her own.
That way you'll hopefully be able to tell by her behaviour if she's spayed & get to know her personality a bit better. If she has a personality that would suit one of your trio's you can always bond her into it at a later date. If she doesn't then you have time to think about what's best for her, without worrying about her getting a decent coat etc.

Maybe try to connect her old and the coop, fixing the ramp on the old one, to provide her some extra space as well as something she feels "safe" in.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I agree with Daphnephoebe. My buns were a bit spur of the moment too (from RSPCA) and we housed them in a coop for a little while until we could get them sorted with something better.

No matter where she's housed, she's already soooo much better off with you! :)

Bless you for taking on a 7th bun. I hope she can settle with you soon.

I don't have much to add - but I definitely agree with your sentiment of not "upsetting" either of your trios, especially as you worked so hard to make them work. I think giving her time to settle in a new environment, find her footing, getting her spayed and vaccinated, and then figuring out where to go from there is probably your best bet.

Yikes you've acquired another one :lol: hope she's settling in, I missed the post but agree with the others - see how she gets on outside firstly if that's what she's used to.

Nice to see you back :D I agree with others, I would start her off outside in the accommodation you have and then decide what to do with her.

I can't see pics btw :(

Thanks everyone :) Not got any pictures uploaded yet Omi, but I'm working on it :)

She's settling in well thank you. In just a few days she has gone from being afraid of us and hiding away, to coming over for hand feeding and strokes :).

We had so little time to organise things that we decided to keep her in my daughters bedroom for the winter at least. She has a large cage as her 'base' and we spent today rabbit proofing the rest of the room for free ranging. My daughter has a cabin bed with a desk underneath, so the bun will be able to have almost the entire floor space.

We have called her Dottie, we think she is an English Spot rabbit, white with a butterfly pattern on her back. She's lovely x

I think indoors is definitely the best option for her. Lucky girl having the run of most of the bedroom.

Thank you :)

We have decided that we will keep her in for the winter and then reassess. Realistically, we didn't have time to get everything ready outside and I'd prefer her to have some company, until we can get her a friend. We need to get her vaccinated and spayed before then x

Back