• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing

daphnephoebe

Wise Old Thumper
Looks like we'll be taking Daphne to the vets :/ :(

She's been sneezing on and off for a couple days but today it just seems almost constant. She keeps rubbing her nose with her paw.

She's over due her myxo/RHD combi vaccine so I guess that'll be over due for even longer.

We can't really afford a vet visit, but at least we have insurance so should get it back if it goes over the excess.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Looks like we'll be taking Daphne to the vets :/ :(

She's been sneezing on and off for a couple days but today it just seems almost constant. She keeps rubbing her nose with her paw.

She's over due her myxo/RHD combi vaccine so I guess that'll be over due for even longer.

We can't really afford a vet visit, but at least we have insurance so should get it back if it goes over the excess.

Oh no! Not due to dust or anything? New batch of hay?

Maybe...
We do have a new batch of hay but it's less dusty than the last batch. (It started with the old batch).

We thought she might have a little hay stuck and after a day it stopped, then yesterday night she sneezed a couple times. And she started sneezing a bit at lunch and now she keeps having sneezing fits.

She's booked in for tomorrow evening as they have no appointments today and I don't class it as an emergency, urgent maybe but not life or death.

I'm going to shut her in the bathroom later today and see if we can steam it out with some fresh herbs.

The hoover has been broken for almost a week and I hoovered for the first time since its broken yesterday so it's possible I've stired up the dust. Not too sure... I have a habit of panicking and going to worst case scenario. Just odd how Phoebe is perfectly fine and apart from sneezing Daphne's behaviour is fine.

Maybe...
We do have a new batch of hay but it's less dusty than the last batch. (It started with the old batch).

We thought she might have a little hay stuck and after a day it stopped, then yesterday night she sneezed a couple times. And she started sneezing a bit at lunch and now she keeps having sneezing fits.

She's booked in for tomorrow evening as they have no appointments today and I don't class it as an emergency, urgent maybe but not life or death.

I'm going to shut her in the bathroom later today and see if we can steam it out with some fresh herbs.

The hoover has been broken for almost a week and I hoovered for the first time since its broken yesterday so it's possible I've stired up the dust. Not too sure... I have a habit of panicking and going to worst case scenario. Just odd how Phoebe is perfectly fine and apart from sneezing Daphne's behaviour is fine.

Like humans, some Rabbits can be more 'allergic' than others. Hopefully Daphne's sneezing will resolve on it's own over the next 24 hours xx

Like humans, some Rabbits can be more 'allergic' than others. Hopefully Daphne's sneezing will resolve on it's own over the next 24 hours xx

Thank you JJ. We'll keep a close eye, but seeing as it happened a couple days ago as well I'm guessing she's just putting her nose somewhere I keep forgetting to clean. She has a tiny amount of fur discolouration around her nasal passages, but she's always had this slight discolouration so I'm trying to ignore that as much as possible.
I'm just reminding myself it would be more of an issue if she's sneezing a lot every single day.

Is under her nose wet. Sometimes squiggles sneezes when i just brush up but dont hoover up. She does get snuffles though so i keep a close eye on her for wetness under nose or stained front paws. Hope everything turns out ok and its nothing serious. xxxx

Maybe...

I had one rabbit who began an allergic reaction *simply* because I changed his hay! There's no telling with the buns :shock::shock: Also, his companion never had any problem with allergy or anything.

Vets are notoriously bad at knowing what to do about allergies. I hope it resolves itself soon xx

Is under her nose wet. Sometimes squiggles sneezes when i just brush up but dont hoover up. She does get snuffles though so i keep a close eye on her for wetness under nose or stained front paws. Hope everything turns out ok and its nothing serious. xxxx
No wetness at all which has me baffled in all honesty.
I don't think it's an infection but I am worried about something like hay stuck up her nose, but I guess this would be more constant sneezing than start/stop?

When one of mine started doing the odd sneeze, and then, within a day or so, kept sneezing several times in a row, I took her to the vets. She was given a course of antibiotics for a chest infection, and it cleared up within a week. Hopefully yours will be as simple as that.

No wetness at all which has me baffled in all honesty.
I don't think it's an infection but I am worried about something like hay stuck up her nose, but I guess this would be more constant sneezing than start/stop?

Did she go to the vet DP? :wave:

Did she go to the vet DP? :wave:
We didn't take her in the end as she's been perfectly fine again.
We do need to book her in for vaccinations so will get that done soon while she's fine.

I've had a listen to her chest and all sounds clear and normal.

Tonibun- I don't think it's the smell of paint. We finished the painting a few days ago and this one we are using is next to no fumes so don't believe it's that.

We didn't take her in the end as she's been perfectly fine again.
We do need to book her in for vaccinations so will get that done soon while she's fine.

I've had a listen to her chest and all sounds clear and normal.

Tonibun- I don't think it's the smell of paint. We finished the painting a few days ago and this one we are using is next to no fumes so don't believe it's that.

A little blip then :D Bit like me :lol:

A little blip then :D Bit like me :lol:

Sadly I think its more sinister than a blip.
I've noticed her left side of her face (around lower jaw) is looking a little swollen. She's also a bit quiet today, spending time in her room instead of downstairs with Phoebe.
I think she might have something dental going on (she's had dental spurs since 8 weeks of age), maybe a root problem/abcess. I think root because of the sneezing, she started doing it again last night, but then abcess because of the swelling. We'll have to see what the vets say but I'll leave her until tomorrow as the OOH vets here are useless.

ETA: I think its all in my head & I'm just being paranoid. She has a little fur missing on that side of her face just behind her nose where the whiskers grow which I think makes it look swollen. I've had a real good feel (at her protest, she hates her face being touched) and all feels smooth & normal. She's still eating but does seem less excited about food (but she does tend to have "off" days). OH thinks she's fine but I just don't know... I'm not 100% convinced but I do have a habit of thinking something is wrong when in fact they're 100% fine. She did eat ivy yesterday (I didn't realise she was reaching through the chain fence into next doors garden).
I'm just going crazy with worry I think.... OH is constantly telling me she is fine. Should I be worrying? They're normally quiet during the day, but she just seems almost antisocial... she's come downstairs now & had a nose ache and a hop around our feet while we're painting, she's now sat in the corner next to the piano (we've moved the table so she's not sleeping in her normal place)... oh dear. I think I need to get distracted for a few hours then reassess her.

Last edited:
I hope you can get to the bottom of what's up with Daphne, if in fact anything. I find this sort of thing quite difficult at times. Mine are usually quiet/sleeping from around 10am until mid-afternoon. Sometimes, very occasionally they will refuse food during this time, which is highly abnormal for them, but it does happen and then after they've had a huge yawn and a stretch it's back to normal. Then also I know that Tan will sometimes sneeze quite a bit for a few hours, with no discharge, no wet paws and no other symptoms. Her whole body convulses. The other two don't do this at all. She's always done this with no further developments.

I think it's difficult, and in your case probably more so having worked as a vet nurse, as symptoms can mean the start of something, but they also might not.

I try not to overthink any of these events and just watch much more closely for a while. I find also that when they're moulting it is impossible not to get concerned at lumps and bumps in the fur, especially around the face.

I don't think I've helped much. I've just rambled :oops:, but I hope that Daphne becomes more like her normal self again soon.

Sadly I think its more sinister than a blip.
I've noticed her left side of her face (around lower jaw) is looking a little swollen. She's also a bit quiet today, spending time in her room instead of downstairs with Phoebe.
I think she might have something dental going on (she's had dental spurs since 8 weeks of age), maybe a root problem/abcess. I think root because of the sneezing, she started doing it again last night, but then abcess because of the swelling. We'll have to see what the vets say but I'll leave her until tomorrow as the OOH vets here are useless.

ETA: I think its all in my head & I'm just being paranoid. She has a little fur missing on that side of her face just behind her nose where the whiskers grow which I think makes it look swollen. I've had a real good feel (at her protest, she hates her face being touched) and all feels smooth & normal. She's still eating but does seem less excited about food (but she does tend to have "off" days). OH thinks she's fine but I just don't know... I'm not 100% convinced but I do have a habit of thinking something is wrong when in fact they're 100% fine. She did eat ivy yesterday (I didn't realise she was reaching through the chain fence into next doors garden).
I'm just going crazy with worry I think.... OH is constantly telling me she is fine. Should I be worrying? They're normally quiet during the day, but she just seems almost antisocial... she's come downstairs now & had a nose ache and a hop around our feet while we're painting, she's now sat in the corner next to the piano (we've moved the table so she's not sleeping in her normal place)... oh dear. I think I need to get distracted for a few hours then reassess her.

It's important if you see a little patch with the fur missing that you keep an eye on it. Not to worry you, but the beginnings of a jaw abscess can look like that in the early stages.

I know you'll keep an eye on it, but I really hope you don't get too worried. It's really easy to convince ourselves of problems that don't exist and it's hard to distinguish between the real and imagined. Not just you!

The answer as to whether you should be worrying is always NO. No use in worry, just in vigilance. Noticing something is there or not there, and then putting it behind you until the next time you decide to look.

Sending hugs, I know what it's like to overthink things xx

From what you have said here

She has a little fur missing on that side of her face just behind her nose where the whiskers grow which I think makes it look swollen. I've had a real good feel (at her protest, she hates her face being touched) and all feels smooth & normal.

I very much doubt that there is an abscess. I know that it's easy for me to say 'try not to worry', I am the worlds worst for thinking of worst case scenarios if I notice something different about one of my Rabbits. A Vet check tomorrow will hopefully put your mind at rest. If she needs a Dental that does not automatically mean that she also has tooth root problems :)

Thank you everyone for your support and input.
I do find with my VN background that I add things up quickly in my head and relate them to all the possible problems that can relate to the symptoms, I do the same with all my animals.

She's been out in the garden free ranging again today (she sat at the back door for quite a while but phoebe kept running over, hopping in, giving a nudge then hopping out and binkying as if trying to encourage Daphne to join in). Once she was out she completely changed, playful cheeky self, eating all the grass and keen for it. I've also seen her grooming and eating her ceacals which has me less worried too.
Getting her back in and she went back to all her normal behaviour so I do feel less concerned. I'll call the vets in the morning and get them both booked in for their combi vaccines, and I can get a thorough health check of her then mentioning my worry about her jaw. The trouble is I rely on my OH to drive us as I don't have my full car licence yet so will have to book it in around his work times.
I shall update on how it all goes xx

Thank you everyone for your support and input.
I do find with my VN background that I add things up quickly in my head and relate them to all the possible problems that can relate to the symptoms, I do the same with all my animals.

She's been out in the garden free ranging again today (she sat at the back door for quite a while but phoebe kept running over, hopping in, giving a nudge then hopping out and binkying as if trying to encourage Daphne to join in). Once she was out she completely changed, playful cheeky self, eating all the grass and keen for it. I've also seen her grooming and eating her ceacals which has me less worried too.
Getting her back in and she went back to all her normal behaviour so I do feel less concerned. I'll call the vets in the morning and get them both booked in for their combi vaccines, and I can get a thorough health check of her then mentioning my worry about her jaw. The trouble is I rely on my OH to drive us as I don't have my full car licence yet so will have to book it in around his work times.
I shall update on how it all goes xx

I think this is a wonderful thing, particularly with rabbits where you hardly find out what's going on with them until it's too late.

I'm glad she'll get a check up when she goes for her vax x

I think this is a wonderful thing, particularly with rabbits where you hardly find out what's going on with them until it's too late.

I'm glad she'll get a check up when she goes for her vax x
It's a blessing and a curse.
I knew a month before Dude the Syrian hamster started showing obvious signs that he was ill. I took him to the vets and they found nothing, I insisted on GA and x ray + exam.
The x ray showed slight swelling in the abdomen but nothing of concern. A month later his abdomen was incredibly swollen, and he started going down hill. We believe cancer but done no further investigations as he was 3yrs old

Back