• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Elderly rabbit

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hey all, most of you guys know Lady Blue my 8 year old Rex bunny :)
Ive seen for a while that she has problems with her back legs, she doesn't really hop, more walks.
Her feet point inward when she walks, and more pulls her back feet with her then using them to push herself forward (if I'm making sense)
I did get the vet to check her and he said more then likely it's old age taking effect.
She does fall over, only when the ground is uneven (going from carpet to wooden floor) or when she tries to walk on wooden floors she slips, and just lays on her side looking sorry for herself.
We've enclosed her so she's fully on carpet and it's all even and she's fine :)

Been looking online and it does look like old bunny legs, she can still walk to her food, water and to pee in her box (we cut the side off so she can just walk into it and not have to hop over the side)

She has feeling in her tootsies as she pulls her foot away when I touch her toes and she spreads her toes when I clean her bum lol, she also moves her feet when I tickle them :)

Ive noticed as well she sometimes pushes herself by using her toes more so then her actual foot, sorta like crawling. She has lost a little fur on her knees, where she crawls, not enough to be bare and get sore though!

Has anyone else experienced this? Will she just gradually become paralysed? Will she become in pain?
I'm just preparing myself incase she does get a lot worse.

Ive seen for a while that she has problems with her back legs, she doesn't really hop, more walks.
Her feet point inward when she walks, and more pulls her back feet with her then using them to push herself forward (if I'm making sense)
I did get the vet to check her and he said more then likely it's old age taking effect.
She does fall over, only when the ground is uneven (going from carpet to wooden floor) or when she tries to walk on wooden floors she slips, and just lays on her side looking sorry for herself.

Been looking online and it does look like old bunny legs, she can still walk to her food, water and to pee in her box (we cut the side off so she can just walk into it and not have to hop over the side)

She has feeling in her tootsies as she pulls her foot away when I touch her toes and she spreads her toes when I clean her bum lol, she also moves her feet when I tickle them :)

Ive noticed as well she sometimes pushes herself by using her toes more so then her actual foot, sorta like crawling. She has lost a little fur on her knees, where she crawls, not enough to be bare and get sore though!

Has anyone else experienced this? Will she just gradually become paralysed? Will she become in pain?

well I would just enjoy the little old lady as she is :D

I recognise everything you are saying. Old lady legs/feet - yes.
And is she on any pain relief? Perhaps Metacam or even Tramadol?

She won't become gradually paralysed, if my experience of older ladies is anything to go by. Just more sleepy, and sleeping in odd (but comfortable for her) positions :D

Sending loads of love for your little elderly. Though I don't really class 8 as elderly :D

Did the Vet suggest that her mobility problems may be related not only to her age but also to her weightloss ?

During all of the Vet's examinations has he mentioned anything about how her uterus feels ?

well I would just enjoy the little old lady as she is :D

I recognise everything you are saying. Old lady legs/feet - yes.
And is she on any pain relief? Perhaps Metacam or even Tramadol?

She won't become gradually paralysed, if my experience of older ladies is anything to go by. Just more sleepy, and sleeping in odd (but comfortable for her) positions :D

Sending loads of love for your little elderly. Though I don't really class 8 as elderly :D

haha Yeh she definitely doesn't act "old" When a treat is involved she can move bloody fast!
Not on anything bar her Baytril for her infection :)

Did the Vet suggest that her mobility problems may be related not only to her age but also to her weightloss ?

During all of the Vet's examinations has he mentioned anything about how her uterus feels ?

No he just said it's old age, he said she is still the best looking 8 year old he's seen apparently, and that she's doing well for her age.
He hasnt said anything about her uterus, no?
He gives her tummy a feel most times we go, checks her weight, the lumps on her, and then gives her eyes and nose a good look to make sure there's nothing else happening :)

No he just said it's old age, he said she is still the best looking 8 year old he's seen apparently, and that she's doing well for her age.
He gives her tummy a feel most times we go, checks her weight, the lumps on her, and then gives her eyes and nose a good look to make sure there's nothing else happening :)

Sounds great - I wouldn't worry about her uterus at all :D

I should ask about the Metacam, given what you've described, but not as a matter of urgency. I love your descriptions of her. She sounds like an adorable middle aged lady :D

Did the Vet offer any suggestions as to how LB's mobility could be improved ? Does he think that she has age related arthritis ?

Sounds great - I wouldn't worry about her uterus at all :D

I should ask about the Metacam, given what you've described, but not as a matter of urgency. I love your descriptions of her. She sounds like an adorable middle aged lady :D

Haha she is adorable! Considering when we got her she'd have your face off if you went near her, she snuggles, kisses, and let's me basically tickle her front nose to tail and doesn't bat an eyelid! She's definitely calmed and become a very loving mummy bunny :)

Did the Vet offer any suggestions as to how LB's mobility could be improved ? Does he think that she has age related arthritis ?

No he didn't, he just said her movement issues are age related, it's to be expected. He didn't seem concerned at all about her, she's due in again in about 3 days for more baytril so I can ask him about it more?

Haha she is adorable! Considering when we got her she'd have your face off if you went near her, she snuggles, kisses, and let's me basically tickle her front nose to tail and doesn't bat an eyelid! She's definitely calmed and become a very loving mummy bunny :)

You must have the magic touch, Sharpie :D

Back