• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on the new rabbit palace

Dem

Young Bun
Hi Everyone,

Any suggestions on the new rabbit palace would be so gratefully received so please comment as much as you can.

Ok so following bubbles latest case of stasis i have decided to make him a house bunny, he is fully litter tray trained and really isnt a chewer but as i work from home its even better as i can keep and extra close eye on him.

Hubby is planning the palace which is going to be in keeping with a home so defo wont look like a hutch. Its going to be made from a new converted sideboard its going to be 4 metres long and approx 1.3 metres high. It'll have a couple of levels and a fully enclosed bed area where he can hide away when he wants to.

Any pics or suggestions you have for an exciting look please send over.

But the first hurdle i want to over come is the slippery levels, as this is smooth wood he may slide and also it wont help keep his claws down. Has anyone got experience or suggestions on a surface that i can put down that will help make it less slippery but most importantly will be fully safe for him.

In addition i was thinking of painting it white on the outside, this isnt imperative but if i choose to go ahead are there paints that are suitable for him?

Whats important is that this isnt just his home and palace but most importantly is fully safe for him. Ideas of toys for him would be great too, i need to avoid balls as he seems to get a little over, how shall i put it, "friendly" with them :lol:

Thanks for reading, and no matter how silly you may think the suggestion is please post, the more fun the better.

xx

That sounds like a great length, are you attaching a run or maybe allowing him free range? The rwaf recommends a space equivalent to a 6ftx2ft hutch with permanent access to an 8ftx6ft run. My house rabbit, Boots, has his own room, it's often easier to bunny proof a room rather than making a large pen.

For the floor you could use non slip Lino, you can often get roll ends free or cheap. There's loads of inspiration in the housing sticky. Lots of us use underbed storage boxes for litter trays, I use woodpellet cat litter with hay on top.

Tunnels, hides, and things to jump on and off go down well.

hi,

thanks for your help. yes he will get to roam the house during the day and only go back in at night so he should get plenty of exercise to try and keep that digestive system of his moving.

great idea with the lino!

thank you x

I agree with the lino, and maybe an area with carpet tiles or similar if you think he wouldn't be tempted to eat it or pee on it. For paint, I know Cuprinol garden shades is bunny safe and I've painted the inside of my shed in the White daisy colour but it doesn't give good coverage in the white so I don't know if it would be any good to paint a sideboard.

Baby toys seem to be good for rabbits - stacking cups (you can put treats in these too for them to find) or the little plastic rings etc.

I agree with the lino, and maybe an area with carpet tiles or similar if you think he wouldn't be tempted to eat it or pee on it. For paint, I know Cuprinol garden shades is bunny safe and I've painted the inside of my shed in the White daisy colour but it doesn't give good coverage in the white so I don't know if it would be any good to paint a sideboard.

Baby toys seem to be good for rabbits - stacking cups (you can put treats in these too for them to find) or the little plastic rings etc.

brilliant ideas, thank you very much xxx

Back