• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this okay? Bonding ?

AmberNikSee

Alpha Buck
Hoss and Lolly have been living side by side separated by a gate for nearly two months and we have been doing "dates" without much issue, minimal fighting the first few times, and hoss even groomed her a bit!
My question is, we spend most of the bonding time like the below picture...is that a good thing or should we be doing something else?
Eta:please excuse the toilet! It's the only viable option of space to do it in!!

How long have you been doing your dates for?
Ignoring isn't a bad thing, but they might have hit a brick wall so to speak and need a push into bonding. You can introduce piles of hay to encourage eating together which is a social experience. (This sometimes causes a small scuffle).
It may also be worth increasing the length of time for the date. E.g. if you're only doing 20 mins then up it to an hour.

Never end the dates on a fight. (Only if it's a serious fight where actual bodily harm happens)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

They look very relaxed with one another so I would keep them together now. Obviously if they do start fighting (which I doubt) then you will need to separate.

How long have you been doing your dates for?
Ignoring isn't a bad thing, but they might have hit a brick wall so to speak and need a push into bonding. You can introduce piles of hay to encourage eating together which is a social experience. (This sometimes causes a small scuffle).
It may also be worth increasing the length of time for the date. E.g. if you're only doing 20 mins then up it to an hour.

Never end the dates on a fight. (Only if it's a serious fight where actual bodily harm happens)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

We typically have them together for about an hour, and about halfway thru we bring out some greens so the little pigs can eat! Usually they do pretty good at that. We have some moments when Hoss bites at Lolly but she nips back and they kind of settle, but usually after that happens once it happens more frequently. We always try to end on good notes :)

We typically have them together for about an hour, and about halfway thru we bring out some greens so the little pigs can eat! Usually they do pretty good at that. We have some moments when Hoss bites at Lolly but she nips back and they kind of settle, but usually after that happens once it happens more frequently. We always try to end on good notes :)

This sounds really good.
I'm with tonibun in the sense of leaving them together. I wouldn't move them into their shared area yet. But try keeping them together in the neutral space all the time from now on. If you can put a mesh across the door so they can't get out - you can sleep & watch from the hallway and intervene if anything happens.

Back