• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

To Shut In or Not To Shut In

Christine662

Warren Scout
Hi All

For the last week we have allowed Lilah to have complete run of the hutch & run 24/7 instead of locking her in the hutch at night. This is after reading on the RSPCA website that unless its absolutely necessary don't lock rabbit in hutch.

The run is attached to her hutch so she can come & go as she pleases (seems to prefer out in the run on the grass...whatever the weather, she has tunnels etc to go in too). The run is secure etc.

Just wondered on your thoughts on this? She has a lovely big 2 tier hutch, bedroom area filled with lovely soft barley straw. Should I shut her in the hutch at night or not?

Thanks

Christine x

I wouldn't shut her in unless you are worried potential predators could get in? If it's very secure and not a possibility then no, leave her to it as she's showing she's happiest having access to the run at night :wave:

My rabbits are away being fostered at the moment, but I don't shut them in their hutch at night. Their housing is on paving slabs. It is a contentious issue - people tend to have strong views on shutting them in or not. If on grass, I would need to be certain that their run was secure so they couldn't dig out/foxes get in.

Last edited:
We don't shut in either. We've only ever done it in very very high winds because the run is fully roofed and I've worried about it lifting even though it's bolted down.

Hi All

For the last week we have allowed Lilah to have complete run of the hutch & run 24/7 instead of locking her in the hutch at night. This is after reading on the RSPCA website that unless its absolutely necessary don't lock rabbit in hutch.

The run is attached to her hutch so she can come & go as she pleases (seems to prefer out in the run on the grass...whatever the weather, she has tunnels etc to go in too). The run is secure etc.

Just wondered on your thoughts on this? She has a lovely big 2 tier hutch, bedroom area filled with lovely soft barley straw. Should I shut her in the hutch at night or not?

Thanks

Christine x

It's a difficult one to answer without seeing your exact set up. Rabbits out in a run can get freaked out by a night time predator and run and injure themselves. This could also happen in day time but at night we see less of them on a regular basis, usually.

I have known a rabbit who was tempted to sit by the side of the wire night after night whilst a fox got very friendly with him. Sounds strange, but it's true, and I boarded this little one many times subsequently. The fox waited and waited and then eventually managed to damage and bend the wire and pull the rabbit's front leg clean off.

That's why I say it depends on your set up, your predators, your security .. etc. Foxes pick and pick away at a weak point so don't underestimate the damage they can and will do ..

Hi

Thanks all for your replies.

My OH dug down & put mesh under and around the area which he then put soil then lawn on top of. The mesh extends maybe ten inches outside the perimeter of the run. The hutch itself is on concrete.

The hutch and run are both fastened to the ground.

She does tend to sit in the very far corner with her back to the garden, which is a worry. My dog goes up & sniffs her bum & she doesn't move, so yes cats (which there are quite a few round here) may be an issue.

The run isn't mesh, its quite thick bars. She has 3 tunnels to go into in the run & her hutch of course.

She does seem happier being left out. The first week we had her I was locking her in the hutch at night, but she would pace up & down the hutch & stare down at her little garden. Looking most displeased, diva that she is turning out to be. :D

Christine x

Concerned that the run is not meshed and can't really understand what you mean about bars? I assumed it was a wooden run with small gauge mesh: can't remember recommended gauge, but know it's small!

If it is one of the metal barred runs I'm thinking of then I would say that it wouldn't be predator proof for day and night, as the bars bend easily and there is a safety warning about them as rabbits have been trapped in them when they got their heads stuck. See this thread which does have a link containing distressing images.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...lease-read&highlight=Safety+warning+enclosure

Wooden framed runs made with 16 or 19 gauge weldmesh is much stronger.

That's it!

Lilah is now confined to her hutch till OH gets down the DIY for weldmesh. Am disgusted in myself. we have put 2 of these together.

No bad reviews when I purchased.

ive just emailed the company asking about the risks as manufacture may have changed & mine does look bit different to the one in the picture. The response below is from 5 mins ago....
Hi

The bar gap is 35mm x 80mm on the metal pens, all rabbits are different and some are not suited to these pens and need something with smaller wire, they should not be left unattended outside all day while at work etc as they can get scared by foxes or birds then they bolt and this is when they can get their head stuck

Tracey

So ive emailed back asking why the sales pitch states safety from predators, suitable for rabbits etc, but the email above is the total opposite. Fuming at them, but a am so upset at myself for being so wet behind the ears rabbit wise.:(

Last edited:
Please don't be cross with yourself. Unfortunately it just isn't possible to have everything perfect all of the time! I have made so many mistakes with Milo ( YOu should see the tiny hutch we had when we first got him!!!) but as long as you love your pet and do everything you can to make their lives happy then you're doing a good job :)

I was hoping against hope that it wasn't one of those but was suspicious when you mentioned bars. Hope you manage to get it sorted quickly so she doesn't have to be confined to her hutch. Personally I wouldn't leave a rabbit in one of those, unattended, even if meshed: wooden runs are much safer/sturdier. If you can't make yourselves, several companies sell on-line (where you can also specify exact measurements, including height). Sorry this has happened to you (and lots of other people, with disastrous results) and good luck!

Some of them have bendy bars. They tend to be the cheap chinese knock-offs of the better made ones which don't. I have one I use on occasion and it's very sturdy.

Some of them have bendy bars. They tend to be the cheap chinese knock-offs of the better made ones which don't. I have one I use on occasion and it's very sturdy.

I had one that looked similar 10years ago plus which was admittedly sturdier and made of stronger material, the newer barred ones are all very bendy :cry: I found about the dangers of them on here, don't be cross with yourself Christine, it isn't your fault, the important thing is that we are all learning and can pass on the message to others :thumb:

A weldmesh one will always be more predator proof, as cats/foxes etc can't get their paws through into them, and the rabbits can't put their paws out of them. I got my weldmesh from Amazon (easipet)

OH has just come in from work......ive showed him that picture. He is straight back out to go get weldmesh. So all being well Lilah should be back out in her beloved little garden by tomorrow evening. She doesn't look too happy at the moment. In the hutch, its nice big one too. She just loves outside.

OH has just come in from work......ive showed him that picture. He is straight back out to go get weldmesh. So all being well Lilah should be back out in her beloved little garden by tomorrow evening. She doesn't look too happy at the moment. In the hutch, its nice big one too. She just loves outside.

Thank goodness you posted the question on here :wave:

I'm glad you're going to get it sorted. Tell her she has completely security to come!

Aww Christine I really want to give you a hug. xx

As others have said very few people, if anyone, gets it perfect in the beginning with bunnies. I certainly found them a steep learning curve. It also doesn't help when companies sell you products you're led to believe are perfectly safe and you only find out by chance that they're not as safe as they claim.

The important thing is that nothing bad has happened and you're getting it fixed really quickly so she will be ok.

She might be a bit annoyed at being in the hutch for a night. I wouldn't be surprised if she over eggs it a bit to guilt trip you into giving her more treats ;)

Back