• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving house & taking 10ft run...

FloLo

Alpha Buck
I'm moving into a different rented house with Flo and Tubs, and taking the 10 x 6.5 ft run with!

Anyone else done this, would it be easier to dismantle or hire a very large van?! :lol:

Phew, that's a huge run to take with you :lol: I'd say van for convenience but it's probably best to dismantle it (although it's harder work it'd save you a lot). Good luck with your move! :D

Can you "borrow" a van (a friend or a friend of a friend) it would be easier to use a van but soooo much more expensive if you need to hire one

Is it easy to dismantle? I would probably dismantle if it was easy enough just incase it broke in transit. Will you be using a van anyway for the move?

If you hire a van you can ram all your other stuff in it :thumb: Runs are mostly space so easy to take everything else!

If you've not got much stuff to take I'd actually dismantle it though :)

I've moved 6 times with at least 5 setups - we just hired a van to move everything and left it as assembled as possible. If you take it apart too many times it can become less sturdy over time. If you are only moving it once though should be fine to dismantle. We got a 8ft x 6ft run and 6ft x 2.5ft hutch into a zafira dismantled.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to dismantle - i would have to use a drill and I don't own one :lol:
I don't have many belongings to take with me (living in furnished house) but I might hire a van anyway as I'm not even sure if dismantled I could fit it in a car !!

I'm not sure how easy it would be to dismantle - i would have to use a drill and I don't own one :lol:
I don't have many belongings to take with me (living in furnished house) but I might hire a van anyway as I'm not even sure if dismantled I could fit it in a car !!
Mmmm! Try and hire the smallest van you can (obviously), and if you can go to the hire place to see the doors etc., as just because the internal space will fit it doesn't mean it'll get through the doors (which I guess is the car problem?). My car has a great internal space, about 4'x4' if I put the seats down, so I can on-paper fit flat big things in it. Or could if the doors opened a bit differently! :lol:

Is there a 'man with a (big) van' service nearby? Or someone with a pickup truck (eg garden contractor) who could do it without dismantling it?
Even dismantled, I doubt that it would fit in our Vito, which is a fairly standard size van. We can get flat sheets of 8' x 4' in if they go over the top of all the seats, or the odd 3m length of wood if we put it diagonally and right over the dashboard.

Managed to do it!
I dismantled it (very easy to do) and then hired a man with a van who moved it for £30 :thumb:

Back