• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard

Christine662

Warren Scout
Hi All

Lilah our new rescue rabbit has been to the vet today for her vaccinations, health check, worming & flea stuff to bring home. Vet also applied Rearguard showing us how to do it next time. Lilah is now back in her run but is frantically cleaning all round where the Rearguard was applied......is she now washing it off?

Had her nails done for her too as they were quite long, she is 2kg so a bit under but otherwise vet says she doing great after her spay.

Thanks

Christine

Hi All

Lilah our new rescue rabbit has been to the vet today for her vaccinations, health check, worming & flea stuff to bring home. Vet also applied Rearguard showing us how to do it next time. Lilah is now back in her run but is frantically cleaning all round where the Rearguard was applied......is she now washing it off?

Had her nails done for her too as they were quite long, she is 2kg so a bit under but otherwise vet says she doing great after her spay.

Thanks

Christine

Hi Christine :wave:

Why did the vet apply Rearguard? Is she at special risk?

She may well be washing it off, and ingesting it too :shock: When did the vet tell you to apply it next?

Personally I wouldn't use it, as I've seen too many adverse reactions, but I know vets are in favour of it.

I'd call the vets and discuss her cleaning it of. If I remember correctly it's potentionally dangerous when ingested.

I've never found need to use it for my bunnies, but as said. A lot of vets highly.recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Oh No....am worried now.

No she has no special issues...also I'm bit OCD over her hutch etc being clean.

The vet sais they've had a few deaths this year with fly strike. I thought I was doing my best for Lilah. :cry:

Oh No....am worried now.

The vet sais they've had a few deaths this year with fly strike. I thought I was doing my best for Lilah. :cry:

Try not to worry, the Rearguard was almost certainly dry by the time you got home so I doubt that any damage has been done. The product is licensed for use in Rabbits specifically (unlike many other Veterinary treatments) so whilst there may have been some reports of adverse reactions that does not mean that it is 'dangerous'.

Just make sure that Lilah is eating drinking pooing and weeing normally over the next 24 hours. You have not done anything wrong, far from it, you took Lilah to the Vet, had her health checked and vaccinated. If only all Rabbit owners did that.

Thanks...

Ive rang the vet & told them she is licking like crazy, she said it fine & not to worry.

I will def keep eye on her for next day or so feeding, toilet wise etc.

Oh No....am worried now.

I'm sure there will be no harm done, but it's always a good idea to question the vet as to the treatment he proposes. Don't forget they are a business and need to encourage you to spend with them, and they get leant on by companies promoting their own products.

Fly strike can be prevented with good husbandry, and if Lilah is well enough in herself, and not overweight, I should just keep an eye on her for now :D

Thanks.

Poor thing went through the mill with going in carrier to the vet, the jabs, nails, etc.

The rescue were unsure if she had been vaccinated as she was left in a box on the doorstep a while ago. Another few weeks & we will be browsing for a husband for her. :love:

Thanks.

Poor thing went through the mill with going in carrier to the vet, the jabs, nails, etc.

The rescue were unsure if she had been vaccinated as she was left in a box on the doorstep a while ago. Another few weeks & we will be browsing for a husband for her. :love:

Ahah lucky little one :love:

Don't worry, I would certainly recommend rearguard for outdoor bunnies, as no matter how clean you keep her surroundings you can't guarantee the cleanliness of neighbours' gardens, surrounding areas or even just booms in bluebottle populations (speaking from bitter experience). Mine sometimes have a good lick after but they've always been fine. Google it if you're worried but it's gotta be less risky and potentially devastating than flystrike.

Never beat yourself up for trying to take good care of your bunnies. It's more than most would do, sadly. Good luck hubby hunting x

Back