• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on helping remaining rabbit cope

Furballs

Young Bun
Sadly my georgeous little Harvey passed away yesterday. The vets couldn't seem to get to the bottom of what was wrong with him, and his heart stopped whilst he was with them for more tests yesterday.
I am dealing with my own grief, but could do with any tips anyone has for his widowed wifeybun Misty. I did not not the opportunity to show her Harvey's body, so she doesn't really understand where he is, and keeps looking for him!! She was a bit like his shadow, always sending him first to make sure things were safe. Thankfully she is still eating so no problems there so far. At this stage I don't think I am going to get another bun, so realise we need to spend as much time with her as possible (she is s house rabbit, although we are at work all day), but wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas?

Sadly my georgeous little Harvey passed away yesterday. The vets couldn't seem to get to the bottom of what was wrong with him, and his heart stopped whilst he was with them for more tests yesterday.
I am dealing with my own grief, but could do with any tips anyone has for his widowed wifeybun Misty. I did not not the opportunity to show her Harvey's body, so she doesn't really understand where he is, and keeps looking for him!! She was a bit like his shadow, always sending him first to make sure things were safe. Thankfully she is still eating so no problems there so far. At this stage I don't think I am going to get another bun, so realise we need to spend as much time with her as possible (she is s house rabbit, although we are at work all day), but wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas?

I am so sorry to hear of Harvey's passing :cry:

All Rabbits grieve in different ways, but in your specific situation and the fact that Misty was unable to say good-bye to Harvey I'd try 'distraction'. So some new toys, even upturned cardboard boxes to explore, a digging box (eg a plastic under-bed storage box filled with shredded paper).

Oh Furballs, I'm so sorry to hear about Harvey :cry: It's so very sad.

To try and get her adjusted to the fact he's not there any more, I would sit with her awhile and talk with her about Harvey and where he is now. That you're sorry he couldn't come home and be with her again. She will understand. Tell her that she is so loved and will always be with you and cared for.

You can then give yourself breathing space to think about what to do long term.

Good luck xx

I'm really sorry to hear of Harvey's passing :( Sweet dreams little man x

Lots of TLC may help, I'm glad Misty is a house bun so she can rely on you for company. It is heartbreaking not knowing what they are thinking or feeling & how they are coping. Given the opportunity I do show my remaining bun their partners body but my bunny who really struggled with bereavement had this so I don't think it is crucial to their coping.

Thinking of you both x

Thanks to both of you for your advice.
I have been sat with her a lot today nattering away. I will bring some extra boxes in for her to play with and create some new dens! Hopefully she will investigate - she would have always sent him in first �� But she's going to have to do it for herself now!

I'm really sorry to hear of Harvey's passing :( Sweet dreams little man x

Lots of TLC may help, I'm glad Misty is a house bun so she can rely on you for company. It is heartbreaking not knowing what they are thinking or feeling & how they are coping. Given the opportunity I do show my remaining bun their partners body but my bunny who really struggled with bereavement had this so I don't think it is crucial to their coping.

Thinking of you both x

His 5 and a half years just didn't seem long enough! Hopefully he's now found my last bun that passed just before I got him, and they are happily telling stories about me! I always thought they would be good pals! X

I'm so sorry that you have lost your little bun. I am in a similar situation, in that I lost my little boy 2 days ago. He was only 3, and lived indoors with his sister. I had to make the heartbreaking decision to have him pts, so was fortunate (if you can call it that) that I was able to show him to Treacle, as this was done at home.
Talking to Misty is great, just sitting with her even. This is what I'm doing with Treacle, and she does seem a bit more perky now.
She will be my last bun, but I am partially retired, so can spend more time with her.
Good luck, and gentle nose rubs for your little girl xxxx

Thanks to both of you for your advice.
I have been sat with her a lot today nattering away. I will bring some extra boxes in for her to play with and create some new dens! Hopefully she will investigate - she would have always sent him in first �� But she's going to have to do it for herself now!

Our animals understand a lot more than we think.

We always credit dogs with a great degree of understanding. Rabbits are, of course, far more intelligent :D

I'm so sorry that you have lost your little bun. I am in a similar situation, in that I lost my little boy 2 days ago. He was only 3, and lived indoors with his sister. I had to make the heartbreaking decision to have him pts, so was fortunate (if you can call it that) that I was able to show him to Treacle, as this was done at home.
Talking to Misty is great, just sitting with her even. This is what I'm doing with Treacle, and she does seem a bit more perky now.
She will be my last bun, but I am partially retired, so can spend more time with her.
Good luck, and gentle nose rubs for your little girl xxxx

I am so sorry for your loss too! xxxx
I am filled with grief myself over the loss of my little boy, but look at her and realise that actually I have no idea!!! My heart goes out to her! And all I can try and do is give her loads of love.

Back