• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Killing green/blue bottle flies

Moonstone

Warren Scout
I killed 4 green bottle flies today by swatting them with a magazine. They'd made it into the house. Last week I killed one and maggots crawled out of it and starting making off in all directions, it was like a horror movie in miniature.

This is freaking me out, they must be breeding somewhere? Perhaps it has something to do with the horses in an adjoining field, but the bunnies are on the patio and I'm scared for them. Thinking of trying an electrical fly killer. Any ideas on what I can do?

Thank you.

Make sure you check your bunnies in case they are attracting them. They are very clever and know if there is a sick animal around.

Thank you. I just did bottom checks with a mirror while they were in my lap and all looks fine. I could put mesh over the windows but the rabbits are outside, I suppose I could put mesh over the hutch and pens, I hadn't thought of that.

Thank you. I just did bottom checks with a mirror while they were in my lap and all looks fine. I could put mesh over the windows but the rabbits are outside, I suppose I could put mesh over the hutch and pens, I hadn't thought of that.

yes that would maybe be a good idea

In addition you could also plant some rosemary near them, it repels a lot of insects and is rabbit safe too! I believe there are also some other herbs that a rabbit safe and repel flies, I"m not sure on specific types though.

Panels of voile over the rabbits would work. I gave up on the supposed fly curtains for my back door and bought a piece of voile from B&M reduced to £4, threaded a bamboo cane through the top and wedged over the open back door.

Not one fly has made it's way into the house :)

I am a bit paranoid due to Tilly pigs ongoing bladder issues, flystrike terrifies me.

Panels of voile over the rabbits would work. I gave up on the supposed fly curtains for my back door and bought a piece of voile from B&M reduced to £4, threaded a bamboo cane through the top and wedged over the open back door.

Not one fly has made it's way into the house :)

I am a bit paranoid due to Tilly pigs ongoing bladder issues, flystrike terrifies me.

That's a great idea K !

Thanks all. This is where they normally sleep during the day:

Not a great photo as I was inside the house - trying not to wake them up. I had to remove the canvas cover as they'd started to regard it as a major food group, I think they may also find voile appetising, though it sounds great for a door and if you could keep it out of reach. I've ordered some metal screening and I bought rosemary yesterday - great ideas, thank you. Both bunnies are currently fine.

The flies this weather are such a worry for rabbits and piggies :(

On our last visit with Tilly, the vet told me that they had already seen 2 rabbits and 1 piggy with flystrike :(

Back