• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do I spay my 5 year old bun?

Bebbeb

Young Bun
Hey guys!

I've been going back and forth about this for months now! I took on Ebony when she was 1 year old and up till just recently (Christmas time) I believed she was spayed!
Now my concern is her age, she's most likely 5 and a few months. Is she too old for the surgery? I love her to the moon and back and I know how painful cancer can be for rabbits and I know how common it is for females to develop it past the age of 5. I'm stuck between risking the surgery or risking her getting cancer.

Hey guys!

I've been going back and forth about this for months now! I took on Ebony when she was 1 year old and up till just recently (Christmas time) I believed she was spayed!
Now my concern is her age, she's most likely 5 and a few months. Is she too old for the surgery? I love her to the moon and back and I know how painful cancer can be for rabbits and I know how common it is for females to develop it past the age of 5. I'm stuck between risking the surgery or risking her getting cancer.

If Ebony is in good health and at a healthy weight then I would definitely have her spayed. I would request a pre op' blood profile to check her major organ function and also a chest Xray. Assuming both revealed no abnormalities and the Vet was very Rabbit Savvy I think spaying her would be a lesser risk than not doing so.

But really only you can make the final decision, good luck whatever that decision turns out to be xx

Well a few months back Ebony had a consultation due to something that concerned me but it was nothing serious and something that was to go on it's own. The vet said she was a healthy weight, good teeth and lovely fur so that itself must say she's good to go, right? I have another issue, I won't be able to get her done for another month or 2 due to my location! would that be fine or is that risking it?

Hey guys!

I would definitely get her spayed, if she's otherwise in good health!

80% of females begin to develop uterine cancer by the age of five years, as you know ..

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/neutering28807.pdf

The benefits far outweigh the risks, in my opinion.

I would ensure you have a *very good and rabbit savvy vet* !!

Well a few months back Ebony had a consultation due to something that concerned me but it was nothing serious and something that was to go on it's own. The vet said she was a healthy weight, good teeth and lovely fur so that itself must say she's good to go, right? I have another issue, I won't be able to get her done for another month or 2 due to my location! would that be fine or is that risking it?

We cross posted :D

Yes a month or two would be fine. No need to panic now, but get it organised with a great and safe vet :thumb:

I agree with whats been said and think having her spayed would be in her best interest.
I'd discuss with my vets closer to the time about pre-op bloods to help show her kidney function (they can then decide if she's in good condition, or if they need to take extra precautions such as fluid therapy before, during & after the op).
They'll do checks before she has the anaesthetic on the day (listen to heart, abdomen for 'gut sounds', listen to lungs, weight check etc)

I agree with whats been said and think having her spayed would be in her best interest.
I'd discuss with my vets closer to the time about pre-op bloods to help show her kidney function (they can then decide if she's in good condition, or if they need to take extra precautions such as fluid therapy before, during & after the op).
They'll do checks before she has the anaesthetic on the day (listen to heart, abdomen for 'gut sounds', listen to lungs, weight check etc)

:thumb:

The vet I use for rabbit spays (not my normal vet) always gives fluids as standard. I would expect that for such a major operation, but worth checking the vet is aware :D

Ok, thank you all!

I will spay her as soon as I get chance! i just so a neutered male bun up for adoption! he is 3 years old, is it too late to try bond them or would I best off leaving ebony on her own? He's a gorgeous looking boy <3

Ok, thank you all!

I will spay her as soon as I get chance! i just so a neutered male bun up for adoption! he is 3 years old, is it too late to try bond them or would I best off leaving ebony on her own? He's a gorgeous looking boy <3

It's never too late !! I'd leave it for a few weeks after Ebony's spay to allow her to fully heal both externally and internally :)

It's never too late !! I'd leave it for a few weeks after Ebony's spay to allow her to fully heal both externally and internally :)

Ok! She's a lovely girl, she can be feisty but she absolutely love's attention! so I'm hoping she will accept another bun because I know they like to have friends <3

If anyone is interested you can see ebony here https://www.instagram.com/bebbebs/
It's my Instagram page lol.

Thank you again! I really appreciate everyone's help :)

Ok, thank you all!

It's never too late!

I have bonded many rabbits, and the oldest has been 13 years old :D

It's never too late!

I have bonded many rabbits, and the oldest has been 13 years old :D

13 years!? were they indoor? Ebony is indoor and I'm thinking she's nearing the end because people keep saying they die at 7! I hope Eb's stays with me till she's 13 <3

13 years!? were they indoor? Ebony is indoor and I'm thinking she's nearing the end because people keep saying they die at 7! I hope Eb's stays with me till she's 13 <3

Yes the bonded bunnies were both indoors :D

Die at 7? Who says that?

I find if a rabbit has been more or less healthy up to the age of around 5 years, they seem to go on and on ... I love old bunnies :D

Yes the bonded bunnies were both indoors :D

Die at 7? Who says that?

I find if a rabbit has been more or less healthy up to the age of around 5 years, they seem to go on and on ... I love old bunnies :D

A few people! But I always said I've heard some live till they are 15! Haaa that calms me a little! I'm an anxious type and since ebony start showing white hairs I panicked, she's all black so I suppose it's a lot more noticeable, right? Either way I may have been killing her off too soon in my head, I guess they got to me when they said 7 years!

Thank you for the reassurance :)

Ok, thank you all!

definitely not too late - it's not uncommon for rabbits to live 10+ years, so they could potentially enjoy several happy years together :)

definitely not too late - it's not uncommon for rabbits to live 10+ years, so they could potentially enjoy several happy years together :)

Gosh yes, I have had Rabbits live to be over 14. I know of one Rabbit who almost made his 16th Birthday !

A few people! But I always said I've heard some live till they are 15! Haaa that calms me a little! I'm an anxious type and since ebony start showing white hairs I panicked, she's all black so I suppose it's a lot more noticeable, right? Either way I may have been killing her off too soon in my head, I guess they got to me when they said 7 years!

Thank you for the reassurance :)

You're really welcome :D

Thank you for the photos. What a beautiful and gentle soul Ebony is :love:

Back