• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing thoughts

katie2000

Alpha Buck
Hello:wave:

We are moving house shortly, and to a smaller garden so I am looking to source new accomodation for the buns.

What do people think of the below:

http://www.aquatix-2u.co.uk/pph129-pisces-barcelona-extra-large-8ft-coop-and-run.html

http://www.aquatix-2u.co.uk/pph128wcb-pisces-malaga-chicken-house-including-cover.html

I thought to save space, it might be bettter to have rasied accomodation to maximse run space below, but wasn't sure if the buns would like this. I know ramps can be an issue, but these could be easily modified/boxed if needed.

Thank you!! :)

Raising the living space is a good idea for space saving but the runs on those are very small as they are so narrow - it's only about half the recommended minimum exercise space. Try looking at hutch/run combinations with the hutch sat on top. They should manage ramps ok as long as they don't have any mobility issues :)

Yeah, I agree. I think those are deceptively small, they often appear much larger in photos than the reality (we looked at similar recently when upgrading). What accommodation do they have at the moment? Will your new garden have room for a shed setup or similar?

I currently have one of the hutch / run combinations (hutch sat on top) that Tamsin suggested. It does work really well and the rabbits have no problem with the ramp. Although it's tricky to clean out the run, as it's so low. It's not big enough either, so we have ordered a new run and will be connecting the two with tunnels and eventually a shed.

Good luck with what you decide x

Rabbits need permanent access to at least 60square feet of predator proof space accosting RWAF. Welfare hutches make some great quality hutch and run combinations boyles pet housing also do walk in runs with raised hutches.

Thanks everyone! I hadn't even thought to look at the run diameter as I had just looked at it being 8 foot long so had assumed it was a decent size 😳

At the moment they are in a brick outhouse (non heated) with attached run (8ft by 4ft) via a catflap.

To be honest they seem to prefer being inside on their cosy blankets and mats so I need to think about maximising the 'inside' section of their new accommodation too.

I was hoping for a non walk in run if possible, purely because I prefer the lower level runs.

If there are anymore suggestions then please let me know!! I'm also considering looking at custom made stuff too (price dependent!)

You could look at a shed, if you'll have space, or go for a double height hutch paired with your existing run. That would give you the most indoor space.

Back