• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Have my bunnies bonded?

StuDot16

New Kit
Hello there! I am a pretty new bunny parent and so I am unsure about what is and is not a well bonded pair.

Here's the background...

I got my first rescue rabbit, Stu (neutered and about 1 year old) in February this year. He roams around my flat freely day and night as he WILL NOT stay in a hutch or pen, even if it's big! After he had settled, I took on a second, female rabbit, Dot. She is also around 1 and has been spayed. Before I got her I did tonnes of research about how to bond a pair of rabbits and I set up a special pen in my kitchen (where Stu doesn't really go). I then gradually introduced them slowly over two weeks, having first spent several days swapping their bedding and litter trays.

I moved Dot's pen into the living area and she and Stu were enjoying nose toughing through the bars and seemed very content and happy about their new environment. When they met without the bars there was no humping, mounting or aggression of any sort. They would occasionally groom one another, but only quite rarely, otherwise just getting on with their own thing.

Two weeks later they are absolutely fine in living together, eat from the same hay box and sleep under the same bed (not sure if they snuggle!). However, I have noticed that they do not groom each other readily, despite Stu often bowing to Dot asking her to. Sometimes Dot bows to Stu, but not often. They do not spend much time together and are not particularly affectionate. They groom themselves and lay out stretched at the same time, but across the room from one another.

I am worried they haven't properly bonded because they have so much space in my flat to roam. It is a studio flat, but pretty spacious. They are never in separate rooms, but are usually apart. It has not been possible for me to decrease their space because Stu is a beast and will not stay in the confines of anything.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Have a ruined their chances of loving each other, or will they grow closer?! Any suggestions or advice mist welcome!

Many thanks!

Some rabbits never groom each other. I used to have a quad of rabbits, the 2 girls would never groom each other or the 2 boys. Yet the boys would groom each other and the girls. So your two are probably very happy together :love:

Welcome to RU firstly & secondly, lovely to hear you respect Stu's demands for loads of space. Mine free range inside too, I have three & they often cuddle together but its not unusual for them to have time out from each other, or mirroring activity but positioned apart. the extent to which bunnies bond varies loads & in my experience it often deepens with time. Some bunnies love to groom, others more reluctant. I dont think you have anything to worry about. They sound really happy. Space & company of their own kind are so important & they have that. Lucky Stu & Dot

Hello there! I am a pretty new bunny parent and so I am unsure about what is and is not a well bonded pair.

Here's the background...

I got my first rescue rabbit, Stu (neutered and about 1 year old) in February this year. He roams around my flat freely day and night as he WILL NOT stay in a hutch or pen, even if it's big! After he had settled, I took on a second, female rabbit, Dot. She is also around 1 and has been spayed. Before I got her I did tonnes of research about how to bond a pair of rabbits and I set up a special pen in my kitchen (where Stu doesn't really go). I then gradually introduced them slowly over two weeks, having first spent several days swapping their bedding and litter trays.

I moved Dot's pen into the living area and she and Stu were enjoying nose toughing through the bars and seemed very content and happy about their new environment. When they met without the bars there was no humping, mounting or aggression of any sort. They would occasionally groom one another, but only quite rarely, otherwise just getting on with their own thing.

Two weeks later they are absolutely fine in living together, eat from the same hay box and sleep under the same bed (not sure if they snuggle!). However, I have noticed that they do not groom each other readily, despite Stu often bowing to Dot asking her to. Sometimes Dot bows to Stu, but not often. They do not spend much time together and are not particularly affectionate. They groom themselves and lay out stretched at the same time, but across the room from one another.

I am worried they haven't properly bonded because they have so much space in my flat to roam. It is a studio flat, but pretty spacious. They are never in separate rooms, but are usually apart. It has not been possible for me to decrease their space because Stu is a beast and will not stay in the confines of anything.

Does anyone have any advice on this? Have a ruined their chances of loving each other, or will they grow closer?! Any suggestions or advice mist welcome!

Many thanks!

Welcome to RU :wave:

Sounds like you have engineered two happy and contented bunnies!

Some rabbits are not close all the time, but they appreciate each other's company. It may be they never become lovey dovey with one another, but they are still a pair and enjoy one another's company.

In time you may find they find their similar sides. But even if they don't, you have done the right thing by both of them :D

My bridge buns were house rabbits. The girl cleo was always grooming the boy rio, washing his face and eyes every morning. He being a carpet slob boy lay there and let her. He did groom her occasionally, but would stop when she started to groom him. I 'd say she did 90% of the grooming, though they did snuggle together. She never allowed me to stroke or pet her, the boy loved being petted and stroked.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond and reassure me :) I definitely feel more confident that Stu and Dot are getting along. You've all really helped! I'll relax now :)

Back