• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit in shock - won't eat unless fed. No poos

Hi,

My two rabbits live outside in the garden. They have a big sturdy run which they are in at night and free range during the day. The big run is covered at night but I also attach another run at night to give them more room which has a wire top. On Tuesday morning I was horrified to find an enormous cat trapped with the bunnies in the run. It had fallen in through the wire top of the run some time during the night, bringing down the wire and apparently trapping one of the bunnies underneath. I could immediately see that the bunny under the wire was in shock and unmoving. The other bunny did not appear injured and scampered off into the garden quite happily and ate and played normally.

I took Rosie, the trapped bunny to the vet. We found a small wound on her neck, possibly from the edge of the wire, and not much else. She was given antibiotics and painkillers. She as far from her normal self but was eating small amounts and if I put her on the ground she would hop into a hiding place.

On the second day I found the other bunny miserable in his run. I took him to the vet. Again, we could only find a couple of small scratches on his ears but they weren't inflamed. He got fluids, antibiotics, painkillers and a gut motility medication as he wasn't eating. He died on the way home from the vet.

Rosie ate on the morning of day two when we picked her up to feed her but looked increasingly miserable. I was feeding her two hourly. She would only take apple puree from a syringe and some water, with a few dandelion and apple leaves and there were no poos. By lunchtime when I left for work I was convinced that she would die before I got home. Husband came home at 2pm and carried on with two hourly feeding. I was still convinced that she would die overnight.

On day 3 when we picked her up and fed her, Rosie powered her way through dandelions, apple leaves, some bok choy, plantains, roses and I was so hopeful that she had turned a corner. I carried on but Rosie was still not eating for herself so rang the vet for advice re no poos and took her back in. In between feeds she is in an indoor cage which I cover so she feels safe. She just sits by the water bowl. The vet found no infection, possible that one front foot is sore because she seems to favour it. Apparently her gut sounds were good, so she got fluids and painkillers and she is still on oral antibiotics. Vet said to carry on.

Today Rosie is holding up her head better, weeing and eating small amounts. She loves dandelions, plantains and roses but is not keen on much else. But still no poos. I put her outside briefly while cleaning up her cage and she jumped on and off her box a few times and pottered around but didn't eat any grass or clover which she normally loves. I don't know what to do. I don't know why she won't eat unless we hold her sitting up on our laps in what I would call the feeding the baby position. If we leave the dandelion leaves by her nose in the cage or try to feed her while she sits the right way up on our lap she won't touch them.

Has anyone any advice please?

It sounds like you've had a really rough time. I'm so sorry that you lost your other bunny and that you are struggling with Rosie.
I'm not an expert at all and I'm sure that someone will come along and give you some really good advice soon but in the meantime I just want to say that it sounds like you are doing really well so far.
Is she drinking? Water will encourage pooping and will keep the gut moving. If not you could try syringing in some water or maybe try giving her some wet leafy greens. Herbs that smell strongly might tempt her too, Coriander or mint maybe?
If you are worried that she isn't eating enough then syringe feed her some critical care.
Rosie might also be depressed because she has lost her partner. Did she get a chance to say goodbye? If not she might be missing him and wondering where he has gone.
I hope Rosie starts feeling better soon xxx

Last edited:
Did the vet check Rosie's teeth? Some of my buns have stopped eating for themselves when they need a dental.

The lack of droppings is a worry. If food is going in, it should be coming out.

I think I would take her back to the vet and get them to check for a blockage - they can often tell by feeling the stomach but I would never try to do this myself in case I hurt the bun - and because I wouldn't know what a 'normal' bunny tummy felt like anyway.

My cats and buns live together harmoniously but it must be terrifying for a bunny to find herself shut in with a cat if they aren't used to cats. I managed to lock one of my cats in the hutch with two buns overnight by mistake - the buns were fine but the cat was NOT happy - she didn't like hay or pellets at all and was very hungry.

Sending Rosie lots and lots of vibes

Hi,

My two rabbits live outside in the garden. They have a big sturdy run which they are in at night and free range during the day. The big run is covered at night but I also attach another run at night to give them more room which has a wire top. On Tuesday morning I was horrified to find an enormous cat trapped with the bunnies in the run. It had fallen in through the wire top of the run some time during the night, bringing down the wire and apparently trapping one of the bunnies underneath. I could immediately see that the bunny under the wire was in shock and unmoving. The other bunny did not appear injured and scampered off into the garden quite happily and ate and played normally.

I took Rosie, the trapped bunny to the vet. We found a small wound on her neck, possibly from the edge of the wire, and not much else. She was given antibiotics and painkillers. She as far from her normal self but was eating small amounts and if I put her on the ground she would hop into a hiding place.

On the second day I found the other bunny miserable in his run. I took him to the vet. Again, we could only find a couple of small scratches on his ears but they weren't inflamed. He got fluids, antibiotics, painkillers and a gut motility medication as he wasn't eating. He died on the way home from the vet.

Rosie ate on the morning of day two when we picked her up to feed her but looked increasingly miserable. I was feeding her two hourly. She would only take apple puree from a syringe and some water, with a few dandelion and apple leaves and there were no poos. By lunchtime when I left for work I was convinced that she would die before I got home. Husband came home at 2pm and carried on with two hourly feeding. I was still convinced that she would die overnight.

On day 3 when we picked her up and fed her, Rosie powered her way through dandelions, apple leaves, some bok choy, plantains, roses and I was so hopeful that she had turned a corner. I carried on but Rosie was still not eating for herself so rang the vet for advice re no poos and took her back in. In between feeds she is in an indoor cage which I cover so she feels safe. She just sits by the water bowl. The vet found no infection, possible that one front foot is sore because she seems to favour it. Apparently her gut sounds were good, so she got fluids and painkillers and she is still on oral antibiotics. Vet said to carry on.

Today Rosie is holding up her head better, weeing and eating small amounts. She loves dandelions, plantains and roses but is not keen on much else. But still no poos. I put her outside briefly while cleaning up her cage and she jumped on and off her box a few times and pottered around but didn't eat any grass or clover which she normally loves. I don't know what to do. I don't know why she won't eat unless we hold her sitting up on our laps in what I would call the feeding the baby position. If we leave the dandelion leaves by her nose in the cage or try to feed her while she sits the right way up on our lap she won't touch them.

I am very sorry to hear about what has happened to your Rabbits. I would definitely take Rosie back to the Vet this morning. I would want her admitted for more diagnostics. If she has any internal injuries from the Cat attack they may not have been picked up on in the initial examinations. A full blood profile may be a place to start, especially looking at her Liver Function.

I do hope the Vet can help her.

Hi,

Hi there.

I am sorry to hear about this. Your rabbit was certainly (and still is recovering from) shock, as you say in your title.

I am glad the cat didn't actually attack the rabbit, from what you can determine. It sounds like her gut has gone into stasis as a result of the shock. You are doing right by keeping her warm and quiet and with more time she may well pull through.

You've probably seen this already? http://www.vettimes.co.uk/article/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits/
Stress and shock can cause a rabbit to decline, and she needs to be well hydrated.

I have brought rabbits through shock, and you do have to be patient for a few days and make sure they are fully on their feet. Also, it would be advisable to keep them out of the area they were distressed in, at least for a short period. Or else alter it around with more protection.

Good luck xx

Oh dear, I'm so sorry this has happened, it must be very distressing for you too. I honestly hadn't thought about the possibility of a cat falling through the top of a run.

I'm new to rabbits, but it does sound like she needs to be checked again. Like Rhianna said if she is eating, you would imagine it needs to come out the other end. Good luck x

Update: We have poos

Thank you for all your replies.

This morning when I went to see Rosie I saw 4 small irregular poos (hooray!) but when I picked her up to feed her I realised she was sitting on a whole lot more. So, the good thing is she is now pooing.

I am slightly concerned that she seemed to have made no attempt to clean herself and had sticky poos stuck all over her underneath but am hopeful that will resolve in time. I am also still puzzled that she will not help herself to food or take food from us in any other position than sitting up in my arms.

In between feeds Rosie just sits in the corner of her indoor cage, but on her way back to her spot after feeding this morning I saw her trying to rearrange one of the fleece blankets. if you put her somewhere else she will hop off but still looks like she is looking for a safe spot.

Thanks, Jacks-Jane for the link. I will have a look.

Back