• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit scratching at door?!

Hollip0p

New Kit
Hi all!

My male rabbit has started scratching at the door to their bedroom, as though he wants to come out. It's generally happening late at night, and he's been doing it for the past week or so completely out of the blue.

He and our female rabbit share a decent sized bedroom, they always have plenty of hay to graze, a few chew toys dotted about and a big cardboard box "house" to chew as well. They spend their weekdays in there whilst we're at work, but in the evening they have a few hours free to roam (most of) the rest of the flat. Strangely enough, when the door to their bedroom is left open they just have a quick hop about outside and then head straight back in their room anyway!

From googling the issue it looks like he's doing it out of boredom/curiosity but I'm not sure what else I can provide to stop him getting bored?! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Luckily the door doesn't seem to be marked yet but I'm getting really worried as were in rented accommodation and I don't want to ruin someone else's property!

Would really appreciate some suggestions :) thanks in advance!

Have you tried a digging box? I appreciate that this can be messy but you could use one with tall sides and put it on some newspaper or something to minimise the mess. I recently added one to my bunnies enclosure and they absolutely love it!

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

Our bunnies do this to our bedroom door - they've decided they love it in there, we've decided it's a lot easier for us if it's off limits to bunnies, so there's a difference of opinion there :p We put a panel from the puppy pen we have for them in front of the door so that they cant get to it. It's been a few weeks now and they are spending less and less time rattling the bars, I think they're working out that they're not going to be allowed in.

Have you tried a digging box? I appreciate that this can be messy but you could use one with tall sides and put it on some newspaper or something to minimise the mess. I recently added one to my bunnies enclosure and they absolutely love it!

Sent from my HTC Desire 620 using Tapatalk

I've thought about this before and always kind of written the idea off due to the mess involved, but I'll have another look into it. I looked at the pictures you posted - your buns look so happy in theirs!

Our bunnies do this to our bedroom door - they've decided they love it in there, we've decided it's a lot easier for us if it's off limits to bunnies, so there's a difference of opinion there :p We put a panel from the puppy pen we have for them in front of the door so that they cant get to it. It's been a few weeks now and they are spending less and less time rattling the bars, I think they're working out that they're not going to be allowed in.

Haha. It's weird though because, with ours, once the door is open they aren't that bothered about coming out and tend to go back to their room anyway! I think they maybe just like having the option lol. I wouldn't be able to put anything in front of the door, because it opens in to their room and so would block us trying to get in there too!

Thanks for the replies both :)

I've thought about this before and always kind of written the idea off due to the mess involved, but I'll have another look into it. I looked at the pictures you posted - your buns look so happy in theirs!

Before I put it in there I didn't think they would use it (particularly Willow as she is very shy and stays in the hutch most of the time) but they are always in it! I've had so many binkies and flops from them since I put it in there and it is lovely to see. Plus they don't actually make as much mess as I thought they would, which doesn't matter to me because it's outside, but that would definitely be a bonus for you haha.

I wonder if putting wire across the doorway (leaving the door open) would work. Perhaps they think they are missing something? :D The wire would have to be about 4' tall.

Back