• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

normal for rabbits to stay in cold part of hutch ?

Griffski

Warren Scout
hi .. last year I acquired two rescue rabbits. now that the weather's milder i have transitioned them to life outside in a hutch in a shed linked to a rabbit run via a pipe. the big bonus for them is easier ( no pet carrier involved) and more frequent access to a much larger grassed area ( enclosed cat run), the major site for their binkies and speed runs.

my query concerns their preference for sitting in the coldest part of the hutch - next to the pipe connector . they only occasionally lie on the open part of the upper level and I have no evidence that they use the straw filled bedding area (+ heat pad on cold nights)(food placed there has remained uneaten).

from your experience with your own bunnies ... is this just down to individual (pair) preference ? is it just that the shed affords sufficient shelter that it doesn't get cold enough for them to seek out the straw/heat pad area? might the heatpad make it too hot for them ?

The bunnies seem absolutely fine ... normal eating and interactions ... I am just curious ...

thanks.

Hi there, mine are just the same! They have areas which are enclosed with lots of hay and shelter from bad weather but they prefer to sit near the opening into their grass run. I wonder if it is so they can see what is going on in the rest of the garden - I have a cat who wanders about in the garden (he belongs to me) and they keep an eye on him, and they seem to watch the birds on the feeders near their run. I'm sure if they were cold they would snuggle up somewhere warm. Don't worry!

My bunnies have always been the same too. Even in the middle of the winter, they prefer to sit in the most exposed part of the run and completely ignore any heatpads and snuggly places I provide. :roll::lol:

I don't know if it's because they prefer to sit out somewhere in the open with a good view to keep look out but, as long as they have somewhere warmer to retreat to if they need to, I tend not to worry. I make sure they have plenty of bedding in the sheltered part of the hutch, and a couple of cardboard boxes filled with hay too but they're not really used.

I bet your bunnies love all the extra space. :love:

It's fairly normal for rabbits to ignore chilly weather. They'll often be out and about even when it's cold or wet. The heatpad might well be making it too hot - remember they have built in fur coats. Where they choose to sit can be down to exits, view, flooring etc. so as long as they seem happy and relaxed and have the option of extra shelter if they want it I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks to you all for your responses.. so good to hear your experiences .. I am still on a learning curve with bunnies ! Tamsin i'll try giving the heat pad a miss tonight and see if that makes a difference.

The move outdoors is working out better than I expected especially for Crixus, who has always lived indoors. Spartacus has always seemed in his element outside. I hope to link an outdoor hutch to the setup (with an 'escape being put in the pet carrier' pipe (Tonibun you're so right!)) to provide a bit more space and a better vantage view (KarenM and Pippin'sMum .. that hadn't occurred to me). When allowed access they share the bigger cat run with the cats - luckily everyone gets on fine..

I miss them indoors but the trade-off will be more binkies and I can live with that :)

Back