• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutered Thursday, in pain but already had metacam?

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Cody was neutered on Thursday. He's on 0.6ml of metacam once a day (he's 1.89kg, a bit underweight imo but eats a lot)
He's suddenly started grinding his teeth loudly so I know he's in pain. He has his first dose of metacam at 12pm yesterday and isn't due for his next dose until the same time today. The vet doesn't open for two and a half hours. Do you think I'm safe to give him his metacam early? Or should I just give him a little bit? I'll call the vet when they're open but don't want him to be in pain in the meantime :(

Edit: He's been up eating hay for about five minutes and has gone and squashed himself behind his tunnel now. Even if he's not showing it I'm sure he's in pain, just hiding it. The tooth grinding was loud, not soft like purring. I heard it from across the room. I'm not sure if I'm happy to leave him like this until the vets are open :(

Last edited:
Well when my bunny was neutered he was on 0.65ml of metacam twice Daily and he was 1.8kg too. But this was dog metacam.. Do you not have an out of vet number? I can competly understand how you feel, it's horrible seeing them in pain and don't want to give you any incorrect advice but if it was me & my bunny I would give him some. But obvious the choice is yours.

Last edited:
Thanks Ruthyjones89. Sorry, it's dog metacam. I meant to say. I've given it as long as I can and have decided to give it to him early anyway. I don't want him in pain and it's only four hours now until he should be having his next dose. Hopefully that's not the wrong thing to do, but I can't see him in pain. I will call the vet when they're open anyway and see what they'd like me to do from now on.
Edit: Sorry, missed part of your post. Yes, I have the VetsNow number and was thinking about calling them but I'm not sure if it should be for emergencies only. I'm not sure if this would qualify at this stage?

I've just given it to him with some pureed apple (only way he would take it.. Why do none of my rabbits like metacam?! I'm always being told how most bunnies like the taste! Mine apparently didn't get the memo :lol:) and will give the vet a call when they open.

Last edited:
I hope the Vet can offer you additional advice. Is Cody weeing normally ? Is his scrotum very swollen and bruised ?

No, it looks okay to me. I checked it earlier when he seemed to be in pain as I was worried. He has been urinating normally, though I haven't seen him go since the tooth grinding, and is still eating. If any of that changes then I would of course be calling the emergency vet

No, it looks okay to me. I checked it earlier when he seemed to be in pain as I was worried. He has been urinating normally, though I haven't seen him go since the tooth grinding, and is still eating. If any of that changes then I would of course be calling the emergency vet

Glad he's not swollen. I asked about his weeing as sometimes a Buck can develop a slight UTI/cystitis after being castrated.It does not happen frequently, but it's not unheard of, UTIs/Cystitist can make weeing painful.

Ah, I didn't know that. I've had four girls spayed but he's my first boy. I will keep an eye on him but so far everything seems normal. I've been watching him closely for anything wrong in that area.
He was laying down when he was grinding his teeth but it was definitely not gentle grinding/purring. He seems okay at the moment, doesn't seem to be in pain anymore. He's eating hay again (the vet said he was a 'greedy guts' when I asked if he'd eaten before coming home - pretty much sums him up :lol:) I will watch him closely, obviously and keep checking him underneath (fun as he hates being handled or even touched at the best if times :roll:)
Vet should be open soon so hopefully can get some advice.
Thanks, Jack's-Jane :D

Last edited:
Thanks, MightyMax :D
He seems a lot better. The vet said that giving it to him early was fine as long as it was within six hours. They don't want to increase the dosage, though. They said if he seems to be in pain again I should take him up and they'll give him something stronger. So will watch him carefully. So far he's been okay, doesn't appear to be in pain at the moment and is still urinating normally (though I will keep a close eye on that, thanks again Jack's-Jane!). He's starving as usual and is eating everything in sight :roll:

Thank you all for replying. Hopefully he'll be okay now but will take him up to get something stronger if he seems to be in pain again.

He seems a lot better. The vet said that giving it to him early was fine as long as it was within six hours. They don't want to increase the dosage, though. They said if he seems to be in pain again I should take him up and they'll give him something stronger. So will watch him carefully. So far he's been okay, doesn't appear to be in pain at the moment and is still urinating normally (though I will keep a close eye on that, thanks again Jack's-Jane!). He's starving as usual and is eating everything in sight :roll:

Thank you all for replying. Hopefully he'll be okay now but will take him up to get something stronger if he seems to be in pain again.

Thank you for updating .. this is hopeful news :D

I hope he continues to improve overnight and tomorrow. Good luck with him :wave:

That's OK !

Glad to hear that he's obviously feeling a lot better now xx

You're really welcome :thumb:

I hope he's doing well today?

Yes, he's been doing really well today - thanks for asking. He's currently digging up his vetbed and moving his litter tray to somewhere 'better' :roll:
And Mishka, who was spayed at the same time (hoping to bond them once they've recovered :D) is currently in a binky frenzy. I can't get either of them to keep still.
As long as neither manage to rip their stitches I think they will both be fine :roll::p

Yes, he's been doing really well today - thanks for asking. He's currently digging up his vetbed and moving his litter tray to somewhere 'better' :roll:
And Mishka, who was spayed at the same time (hoping to bond them once they've recovered :D) is currently in a binky frenzy. I can't get either of them to keep still.
As long as neither manage to rip their stitches I think they will both be fine :roll::p

It's always nice to hear of our bunnies misbehaving :lol:

Mishka is such a lovely name :) I'm sure they will bond - male/female is the best pairing I think!

I hope you all have a good night x

Back