• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really worried for Thumper :(

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
Last Monday (bank holiday) Thumper had one of her stasis episodes, ended up staying at the vets overnight. She then picked up and was fine, has been fine all week.

Went to them this morning, there she was lying stretched out on the floor, usual stance indicating tummy ache/start of stasis. Dosed her up, stroked her tummy very gently which she seemed to like for about 30 seconds and then she dashed off into the hutch and went upstairs and did about half a dozen poops. Excellent, I thought until I realised they were wet looking and absolutely stunk.

Long story short, she did some more very smelly wet looking poops so rushed her to the vet as they also stuck to her fur, indicating diarrhoea.

Her glucose is very high at 21 and she's been admitted, along with her sister for company.

Possible diagnosis is that part of her intestine/bowel has pushed through into another part causing the rush of poo which is why it's wet and smelly. They will x-ray to confirm. Sadly this can only be cured via surgery.

I've had enough. What with my mum I can't be doing with a seemingly constantly sick rabbit as well, I'm stressed out enough.

I'm tempted to say pts instead if it is the surgical route.

She's always sick.

Second time in 8 days.

I've had so many near misses re car accidents and gone over a red light re a rabbit, it's ridiculous.

I can't cope with it anymore.

I love her to bits and I'm sat here sobbing, typing this, but I just can't take it anymore :cry:

Last Monday (bank holiday) Thumper had one of her stasis episodes, ended up staying at the vets overnight. She then picked up and was fine, has been fine all week.

Went to them this morning, there she was lying stretched out on the floor, usual stance indicating tummy ache/start of stasis. Dosed her up, stroked her tummy very gently which she seemed to like for about 30 seconds and then she dashed off into the hutch and went upstairs and did about half a dozen poops. Excellent, I thought until I realised they were wet looking and absolutely stunk.

Long story short, she did some more very smelly wet looking poops so rushed her to the vet as they also stuck to her fur, indicating diarrhoea.

Her glucose is very high at 21 and she's been admitted, along with her sister for company.

Possible diagnosis is that part of her intestine/bowel has pushed through into another part causing the rush of poo which is why it's wet and smelly. They will x-ray to confirm. Sadly this can only be cured via surgery.

I've had enough. What with my mum I can't be doing with a seemingly constantly sick rabbit as well, I'm stressed out enough.

She's always sick.

Second time in 8 days.

I've had so many near misses re car accidents and gone over a red light re a rabbit, it's ridiculous.

I love her to bits and I'm sat here sobbing, typing this, but I just can't take it anymore :cry:

I am really sorry that Thumper is so poorly again.

I know how stressful it is to have a Rabbit with a recurring GI tract problem, made worse when other aspects of life are also causing a lot of upset.

I hope that the Vet will be able to support you in whatever decisions you make regarding Thumper xx

She's always sick.

Second time in 8 days.

I know how you feel and I'm so sorry Angie :(

We can only do so much in life, and that's our best and it's way good enough.

Sending hugs, and wisdom to know what to do next, and vibes to cope with it all xx

Thank you, everyone.

I've just rang the vet for an update and it's not looking great :(. Thumper's glucose is still high despite the meds, although she appears "settled", whatever that means. They can't x-ray because they want to sedate her to get a proper, decent x-ray, but she's not stable enough to undergo sedation so for now are leaving her to rest and will do another glucose test about 6pm.

Sadly, they close at 7pm and no longer have an emergency/overnight facility so if she's still unwell (which she will be) I will have to take her to Middlesbrough, an 8 mile trip in the car, to the out of ours vets where there are vets and nurses on site all night to monitor her/take action. I then have to pick her up by 8am in the morning to take her back to her own vet. Just what a sick rabbit needs, all this messing about in a car, which she hates anyway. Wouldn't surprise me if the car journey finished her off altogether :(.

Adrian has been in bed today after night shift and when he came downstairs I just burst into tears. My mum's been to the hospital today and naturally he thought there had been yet more bad news regarding her as I initially couldn't speak I was sobbing so much. (Mum's fine, it was to fit her facial mask for her radiotherapy treatment).

I've told my children to try and prepare themselves as Thumper is really struggling to shake this off again. She struggled last week too. Adrian said that we'll do what we can and just have to hope for the best but he's wondering if it's simply her time. She seems to be getting worse over the last 12 months. Last year she was ill nearly every month for at least 3 or 4 months on the bounce. She must be getting fed up too, poor little thing :(. She was shaking so much this morning I could hear her through the closed door of the hutch (she was on top of the bed chamber behind the solid door, but I could hear her claws scratching the wood through her body shaking). So she feels absolutely rotten when she's unwell. She was breathing like the clappers too, panting almost.

:cry:

Last edited:
Angie I'm really sorry all this is happening to you.

I hope events will unfold and become clear very soon and not be painful but peaceful on all fronts.

Sending hugs x

I do know that feeling when you've had enough :( Just having a Mum who is unwell is very stressful. Add to that an ill rabbit and it just feels as though it's too much to cope with. I am so sorry.

Sending loads of vibes for Thumper. I hope the meds start to improve things for her soon.

I'm sorry so read she's so poorly especially at a time when you have stress overload. I know moving her about when she's already poorly would stress me beyond belief also. I hope her symptoms improve massively soon.

Thank you everyone, your words and thoughts mean an awful lot xx

The vet has just rang with good and bad news.

The good news is that finally Thumper's glucose has dropped to 7, so within the normal range.

Bad news is she's still refusing to eat - which they are baffled by as she is "settled", with her sister, and of course glucose is back to normal. Also, her poops are still a bit wet.

We had 2 options:

1. Take her to emergency/overnight vets at 7pm when they open and our vets close or

2. Bring her home and monitor her myself with a view to rushing her to said emergency vets if necessary (I wasn't keen on this idea to be honest)

Asked vet's opinion, she said it's safer to have a vet watch over her and feed her every hour or so (no more meds required but she does need food), so off to the overnight vet we go at 7.

Early start then in the morning to collect her (hopefully no phone calls in the night as she seems to be picking up albeit very, very slowly) but whether that's to bring her home or back to our own vet we'll have to wait and see.

But at least her glucose level has dropped which has to be a good sign? But why isn't she eating? Maybe she's had enough herself and has given up :cry:?

Thank you everyone, your words and thoughts mean an awful lot xx

The vet has just rang with good and bad news.

The good news is that finally Thumper's glucose has dropped to 7, so within the normal range.

Bad news is she's still refusing to eat - which they are baffled by as she is "settled", with her sister, and of course glucose is back to normal. Also, her poops are still a bit wet.

We had 2 options:

1. Take her to emergency/overnight vets at 7pm when they open and our vets close or

2. Bring her home and monitor her myself with a view to rushing her to said emergency vets if necessary (I wasn't keen on this idea to be honest)

Asked vet's opinion, she said it's safer to have a vet watch over her and feed her every hour or so (no more meds required but she does need food), so off to the overnight vet we go at 7.

Early start then in the morning to collect her (hopefully no phone calls in the night as she seems to be picking up albeit very, very slowly) but whether that's to bring her home or back to our own vet we'll have to wait and see.

But at least her glucose level has dropped which has to be a good sign? But why isn't she eating? Maybe she's had enough herself and has given up :cry:?

It's guarded good news then ..

Bunnies are so secretive with their illnesses, it's hard even for a vet to know what to do.

I really hope she responds to treatment and you can get a good (albeit shorter) night's sleep.

Sending vibes xx

It's guarded good news then ..

Bunnies are so secretive with their illnesses, it's hard even for a vet to know what to do.

I really hope she responds to treatment and you can get a good (albeit shorter) night's sleep.

Sending vibes xx

It is, MightyMax, she's in the best place too.

When we picked her up she started to nibble on some hay and had a nibble while waiting in the overnight vet too, which is excellent!

They will both be looked after and Thumper monitored very closely overnight. So fingers crossed she settles down and eats more during the night tonight.

I have a stress headache, had it all day and am feeling emotionally drained yet again. I will dose myself up and have not too late a night tonight, I'm afraid unless Skittle (hamster) wakes early he'll not be getting a run out of his cage tonight :(.

All being well we can bring the girls home in the morning but only time will tell. No idea what has caused this bout of illness, the vet at the overnight place said it's definitely a new problem, not stasis obviously. No idea what it is even, let alone what caused it. It's not like it's been warm and then the temperature's plummeted, or vice versa. Not a clue.

Going for a bath now.

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts everyone, it means a lot :) xx

I'm so pleased the news is better for Thumper. I hope you have no phone calls during the night and that Thumper is well enough in the morning to come home.

I'm sure it will be difficult for you, but I hope that you manage to relax a bit and get some sleep.

Hope Thumper continues to improve for all of you. I know with Blossom, ongoing, very regular illnesses are so draining. Take care. xx

When we picked her up she started to nibble on some hay and had a nibble while waiting in the overnight vet too, which is excellent!

They will both be looked after and Thumper monitored very closely overnight. So fingers crossed she settles down and eats more during the night tonight.

I have a stress headache, had it all day and am feeling emotionally drained yet again. I will dose myself up and have not too late a night tonight, I'm afraid unless Skittle (hamster) wakes early he'll not be getting a run out of his cage tonight :(.

All being well we can bring the girls home in the morning but only time will tell. No idea what has caused this bout of illness, the vet at the overnight place said it's definitely a new problem, not stasis obviously. No idea what it is even, let alone what caused it. It's not like it's been warm and then the temperature's plummeted, or vice versa. Not a clue.

Going for a bath now.

Sending further and better nibbling vibes.

Also calm and peaceful ones for you Angie.

I hope it all works out :)

Going for a bath now.

I hope that you receive good news about Thumper this morning. Maybe a full blood profile might shed some light on what may be going on, especially issues involving Liver/Kidney function ?

Back