• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Theo

Warren Scout
I've had Bluebell now for about a month, she's lived in the living room and was spayed 10 days ago. I feed Theo and Bluebell either side of a pen wall each day and they can see each other while I am home. I am currently sat in the kitchen watching them eat hay together which they seem happy although if Bluebell gets In touching distance to Theo he lunges at her and pulls fur.

This is the second time in the kitchen to attempt bonding - the first time after a lot of fur pulling from Theo he chilled out, then Bluebell tried to hump him and i ended up separating them again as Theo was getting grumpy!

This is the set up at the moment... Any advice welcome!

Good luck :thumb: I hope you have a peaceful night with them. The only thing I would consider is that the tunnels could possibly be claimed by one of the rabbits, causing some friction. I think I would remove them.

I've had Bluebell now for about a month, she's lived in the living room and was spayed 10 days ago. I feed Theo and Bluebell either side of a pen wall each day and they can see each other while I am home. I am currently sat in the kitchen watching them eat hay together which they seem happy although if Bluebell gets In touching distance to Theo he lunges at her and pulls fur.

This is the second time in the kitchen to attempt bonding - the first time after a lot of fur pulling from Theo he chilled out, then Bluebell tried to hump him and i ended up separating them again as Theo was getting grumpy!

This is the set up at the moment... Any advice welcome!

It looks really good to me :thumb:

Good luck xx

I suspect the lunging and fur pulling is to make her keep her distance for now and also just to let her know who's boss. The longer they can remain together the friendlier they will become with one another as the initial wariness will subside and they start to relax together. Good luck :)

Are they behaving? :D

I only had them like that for an hour. I know it should be longer but there's no chance I can sleep in the kitchen and I've been working today. Theo doesn't like being confined to space so I think that's making him more grumpy towards her. I am off tomorrow so going to I intend on sitting with them the whole day.

They take it in turns being out in the living room... If I put them both in together do you think they will both be territorial? Even though they both use the room and share toys?

Good luck :thumb: I hope you have a peaceful night with them. The only thing I would consider is that the tunnels could possibly be claimed by one of the rabbits, causing some friction. I think I would remove them.

Thank you! I thought they would be somewhere for Bluebell to hide but I'll try taking them out next time.

I only had them like that for an hour. I know it should be longer but there's no chance I can sleep in the kitchen and I've been working today. Theo doesn't like being confined to space so I think that's making him more grumpy towards her. I am off tomorrow so going to I intend on sitting with them the whole day.

They take it in turns being out in the living room... If I put them both in together do you think they will both be territorial? Even though they both use the room and share toys?

I always use somewhere neutral to them both. Or somewhere you can easily disinfect the floor to make it seem neutral.

As for tunnels and boxes etc, I always leave them around for them. So long as they have an entrance and an exit, they are fine :thumb: Nothing that one can get cornered into though.

We all do things differently!

Good luck x

I always use somewhere neutral to them both. Or somewhere you can easily disinfect the floor to make it seem neutral.

As for tunnels and boxes etc, I always leave them around for them. So long as they have an entrance and an exit, they are fine :thumb: Nothing that one can get cornered into though.

We all do things differently!

Good luck x

I have no truly neutral space as Theo is a monkey and gets everywhere! I brought some old blankets from my parents house to put on the floor in the kitchen so I think that fooled him into thinking it was a new space (also steam cleaned the floor)! I'll see how they get on tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

I have no truly neutral space as Theo is a monkey and gets everywhere! I brought some old blankets from my parents house to put on the floor in the kitchen so I think that fooled him into thinking it was a new space (also steam cleaned the floor)! I'll see how they get on tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Fingers and paws all crossed here for you x

Thanks Tonibun and MightyMax. I have got all my jobs done for today and I've just out the bunnies in the pen. The walls are covered with fleeces that have been washed with different detergent and Theo is standing on his hind legs trying to figure out where he is...I think he is confused! Both distracted by hay at the moment! I'm about to stick a film on while I sit with them...wonder how much I'll be able to watch :lol:

Thanks Tonibun and MightyMax. I have got all my jobs done for today and I've just out the bunnies in the pen. The walls are covered with fleeces that have been washed with different detergent and Theo is standing on his hind legs trying to figure out where he is...I think he is confused! Both distracted by hay at the moment! I'm about to stick a film on while I sit with them...wonder how much I'll be able to watch :lol:

If my experience is anything to go by, not a lot :lol:

I don't think it's going too badly. A few chases and fur pulling from Theo in the first hour. Just into the second hour and Theo has chased Bluebell but didn't pull fur. Now they're both flopped out about a meter away from one another.

Just wanted to add a good luck. Ruby and Benny were bonded last week - they seem quite settled now.

Back