• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will moving house affect my rabbits?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place for this post!

We are moving house next week and I hope to make it as painless as possible for everyone, including our three rabbits.

The new house is approx 1 1/2 hours away, and the move will involve the rabbits spending a night in a large indoor cage (as their hutch and run will go on the removal truck) and obviously a car journey the following day. Before going back in their hutch and run at the new house.

Will this be stressful for them? Is there anything I should do or remember to make it easier for them?

Thanks x

I usually give my bunnies Bach rescue remedy in their water for a couple if days before any planned travelling. I'd try and put something like their litter tray in the overnight cage so it smells of them and if possible leave the carrier in their run fir a few days so they are familiar with it. I'm sure someone else will be along with better advice shortly. Good luck with the move.

It might unsettle them for a short while, being territorial animals, but they should be ok. Hope the move goes smoothly :thumb:

Thank you for your replies.

I will make sure I put some of their litter / bedding in the indoor cage and they are able to travel in it in the car also, so I won't need to disturb them again until they go back in their hutch / run. Hopefully the car journey won't unsettle them too much, but it has to happen obviously, so no way round it.

Thank you for your well wishes. Trying to pack up 9 years of stuff, while also looking after 3 children, 2 dogs and 3 rabbits, is a challenge to say the least x

!!! Oh the joys of moving !!!

I have transported rabbits on trains, buses and cars with no stress (as far as I could see). They were all flopped in their carriers and once introduced to their new homes just hopped about eating drinking and exploring.

Not quite the same for us humans is it?!

Thanks for your reply x

Hopefully they will do just that and not really be that bothered. As long as they have their basic needs taken care of, they will be back in their hutch / run before they know it.

I'm just enjoying the calm before the storm, when the removals arrive tomorrow x

I'm moving in 3 weeks time aswell, and taking my 4 buns with me of course. We are only moving a 15min drive away though! :lol:
I have moved with them before twice and although they are unsettled at first they are surprisingly adaptable so try not to worry too much. Just go slowly and calmly settling them in.

I'm planning to try and bond my 2 couples together when I move so it's going to be a pretty stressful time for all of us, hopefully worth it though :)

Back