• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does this look as potential accommodation?

Meg and Jas

Young Bun
I'm hoping to adopt my first pair of rescue bunnies this year and have been looking around at accommodation :D

I found out at the weekend that my brother is planning to get rid of his cat house/run that he's had in the garden for about 5 years or so. Basically he has a house cat but he hates going in the run anyway so they've decided to get rid of it. The most similar thing that I can find online is this..........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAT-HOUSE-AND-RUN-UK-DELIVERY-AVAILABLE-/201523080728

I would say that the meshed area in my brother's run is slightly shorter in length than that one and it's it's got wood panelling at the side rather than mesh (I think it's only mesh at the front).

I'm going to take some pictures of it next time I'm over there and check out the overall condition but I thought that potentially it could be good accommodation for a pair of buns but wanted to know what others think?

I'm thinking that the issues with it could be a) the ramp height is going to be too steep for bunnies? I was thinking that perhaps the ramp could come out altogether and I could put in a catflap to go from the indoor sleeping area to the outdoor bit? b) the mesh on it might not be fox (or cat as I have 2 cats!) proof so it might need to be re-meshed? c) I haven't quite thought of how to transport it as I'm guessing it came as flat pack so I was thinking perhaps I could hire a couple of blokes with a van but not sure if will fit out of the back gate so will have to measure?! Also I've got a gravelled area of the garden so hoping it could go on there as the floor is wooden the bunnies wouldn't be able to dig out. I know it's on concrete slabs at the moment but not sure if a pebble base would be okay as it might be slightly uneven?

Just really wanted to get some first impressions from people of how they think that looks? I was also thinking that I could potentially add a tunnel to an outdoor run that could be on grass that could be used with supervision? I'll get some proper pics of the actual run next time I'm over there so I can get some shots of the sleeping area too :) Just really hoping it actually fits out of the back gate now!!

Yeah I think that would be fine, it's very specous which is what bunnies need and it's sheltered definetly a good idea :)

It looks good but I think youre right about the ramp being too steep.

The only thing I would point out is that the run is too small.If you could attach an additional run via a tunnel or cat flap that would improve things a great deal.The additional run would ideally need to be at least 8ft x 6ft.Ive just re read and realised you had already thought about an additional run :)

You are definitely going the right way about sorting out your future bunnies accommodation.Getting things right to begin with-as you are-saves a lot of money and stress in the long run.Good luck with everything.:)

It looks good but I think youre right about the ramp being too steep.

The only thing I would point out is that the run is too small.If you could attach an additional run via a tunnel or cat flap that would improve things a great deal.The additional run would ideally need to be at least 8ft x 6ft.Ive just re read and realised you had already thought about an additional run :)

You are definitely going the right way about sorting out your future bunnies accommodation.Getting things right to begin with-as you are-saves a lot of money and stress in the long run.Good luck with everything.:)

I second everything hoppetylop has said

Thanks for the replies :) I'm going to my brother's on Sunday so I can get some pics and measurements but the bad news is that it definitely won't make it through the back gate apparently :(

Back