• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks, what do you use?

Julia123

Warren Veteran
Hi

I'm interested to know what folks use for sore hocks.

My bun Giselle is a 6 yr old french lop. She has arthritis and therefore weight bears on her hocks, complicated also due to her size. Initially the hocks were scabbed and had been bleeding. So we started her on septrin and topical dermisol cream. The cream and abx seemed to help initially but once the scabs were off and the new skin showing they flared up again. So we moved to wrapping, I tried all sorts, initially vet grade manuka with pressure dressings (melolin with one layer cut with a hole and a top layer) then wadding, then baby sock (toe cut out and cut down) then vet wrap. I cut the wrap with a section out to avoid wrapping over the front of the ankle. The manuka was really messy so I switched to sudocreme which made them wet, at this point I added foam into the dressings over the wadding and before the sock. The foam (toe foam) kept slipping so I abandoned it. I then switched back to dermisol after having cleaned and dried them. They started to heal but we decided that too much debriding wasn't good so went for dry dressing with melolin, sock and vet wrap. I then started to brush the fur with a toothbrush to help clear any residue from the creams. So far so good - however I noticed that the front of her ankles were losing fur - even though there was no wrap on them, the sock must have been bunching. So today I have completely covered their indoor and outdoor pens with 30mm green back vet bed and removed the wraps. After discussion with my vet the wraps were only really keeping them clean and not helping with the pressure issue.

I was recommended a product called Camrosa Ointment, by the company where I bough the vet bed. Have any of you used it? My vet is looking into it and I have sample on the way. Its meant to promote healing and act as a barrier to moisture and infection.

So this is where I am at, and nervous about whether the vet bed will be enough to support the hocks. I'm also using Oxbow joint support supplements and she's been back on septrin for early two weeks (primarily due to an infected nail bed, but helps her hocks too) She's on twice daily metacam and I give zantac and hour before the septrin doses as she has gut issues. So far she's tolerating the septrin better than before.

Anyone with any other suggestions? I am planning on putting a wooden floor in the run to keep it dry, but for now the vet bed is on rubber backed mats. Its a roofed run with 3 sides timber walls.

I'm aware this is now a life long condition and I just want to be able to do everything possible to stop it getting worse. Her hocks are currently not red, but still swollen, fur covers one but not the other.

Please share any tips and advice

Many Thanks x

Gutted, hocks are red this morning. Have tried to wrap leaving entire front ankle open by cutting holes out of the socks. Don't think they will stay on.

Anyone any suggestions? Please? At my wits end :-(

Hi Julia.

I have two layers of vetbed down for my buns who have both had problems with sore hocks in the past. Perhaps that would help Giselle :wave:

Thank you, so extra support underneath is needed? I will pop to the carpet shop and see what underlay they have as this my quickest option. I will order more vet bed. Although I think it's the friction that is causing the problem as she doesn't hop high enough due to her arthritis.

My camrosa sample has arrived, so just need to know what my vet thinks.

Just wish there was a way of covering the sore bits without wrapping over the foot and round the ankle. I've even thought about plasters! But don't see how they would come off without damaging the fur. Oh this is so hard!

I wish I had some advice. My bridge bun had sore hocks (bare & pink, they didn't get infected fortunately) & I can remember how stressful it was. My vet recommended lots of towels for my indoor bun but that only works if your bunny doesn't like to rearrange stuff. Sending healthy feet vibes for Giselle

My girls live outside and suffered with sore hocks. The only thing that cured them was a thick, and I mean thick, layer of hay on both the shed and run floors. Gradually they healed and have been absolutely fine ever since. I tried creams but they just licked it off - when they allowed me to put it on in the first place of course, which was rare. My vet suggested the layer of hay and I've never looked back.

I know when the hay is getting thin as their hocks start to go pink, so out goes more hay and the pinkness goes away.

My girls are Rex Minis and Rexes are notorious for getting sore hocks, and yet since they have had hay on the floor they've not suffered.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions folks! So its either extra matting such as memory foam under the vet bed or deep hay?

The only issue with the deep hay is that they will use both shed and run as a giant litter tray! But if thats what it takes then I can do it. I think I will try the matting underlay first. I might even try both, vet bed inside hay outside.

What about wrapping folks?

I've never tried bandaging the hock up, I just can't see it would have worked for Chloe or Dave. They would have removed it within minutes :lol:

As you probably know I have had rather too much experience with managing chronic sore hocks :cry: Over the years I have found that the best substrate is always soft, deep hay. I have never found Vetbed or anything similar to be of any benefit, infact I have mostly found that any fabric, however soft, just makes things worse. But I also think that there can never be a one size fits all for managing this nasty painful condition. What works best for one Rabbit may not do so for another.

With regards to bandaging, if this is to be done then it must be with extreme caution. If applied too tightly bandages can reduce the blood supply to the limb and this will further impede wound healing. It will also cause oedema. Taking pressure off the actual wounds is the aim, so a sort of 'corn pad' needs to be devised, if you see what I mean. Then of course some Rabbits will not tolerate bandaging at all and they will chew them off as soon as they are applied !!

Does the Vet think that there is any osteomyelitis (bone infection) and/or any displacement of the tendons involved ?

These are some of the topical treatments I have used over the years. Again, it can be trial and error to find what works best for each Rabbit. Obviously great care is needed to avoid the Rabbit ingesting any cream applied.

Flamazine Cream
Vetgold Cream
Savlon Advanced Healing Gel
Activon (Medical Grade Manuka Honey Gel)
Dermisol Cream
Aloe Vera Gel
Derma Gel

I really hope that you can find a treatment regime that helps Giselle xx

Hi All

I'm still battling this :-( I put 6 inch deep barley straw inside and two layers of vet bed outside. I changed full wraps to just socks with toes cut out secured top and bottom to avoid the sore skin she started to get on the ankle crease. They also have slits cut out of the socks over that area. But they have scabbed up again. :-(

Ive just put some dermisol on again as I read the scabs can cause added pressure. Ive also emailed the pics to my vet.

No Jane she didnt mention a concern for osteomyelitis or tendon displacement. She's just finished a month long course of seprtin for an infected nail bed, this will of course have also helped her hocks.

They dont seem to like the barley straw and spend 90% of the time in the run on the vet bed.

We just seem to be going round in circles :-(

Funnily enough I noticed a spot of blood yesterday after months of no issues with Daves hock. It's a never-ending battle!

Very interesting thread as my new foster bun has sore hocks. She's on rubber matting covered with blankets or vet bed or a thick layer of hay depending on the area. She's having sudocrem applied twice a day which seems to be preventing things getting worse at present.

am interested in other people's experiences with different creams.

Back