• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

abscesses in rabbits

Does anyone have abscesses in their rabbit? I have experience of this and have been successful in three out of three cases using my natural methods.

Yes I have & many others here. My greatest success has been with surgical lancing, flushing / cleaning of the site & use of Manuka 35+. I'm sure others would love to know what has worked for your rabbits

abscesses

Yes I have & many others here. My greatest success has been with surgical lancing, flushing / cleaning of the site & use of Manuka 35+. I'm sure others would love to know what has worked for your rabbits[/QU

I rescued a rabbit which had been attacked by other rabbits. The vet said that he would be dead in two weeks and that the only thing was to put him to sleep. I phoned a vet in Ireland and he said to put a couple of drops of 6 per cent food grade hydrogen peroxide in its food and water. This didn't seem enough to save him to me, so I used a syringe and put it in the abscesses, it didn't hurt the rabbit who never flinched. 3 months later I took him back to the vet and he couldn't believe it was still alive. The vet in Ireland said he hadn't used antibiotics for over 30 years and had used hydrogen peroxide with incredible results. I have taken hydrogen peroxide orally myself in orange juice and even put 6 per cent in my eyes so its perfectly safe. Vets use Hydrogen peroxide, but only to clean wounds on animals.

Last edited:
Yes I have & many others here. My greatest success has been with surgical lancing, flushing / cleaning of the site & use of Manuka 35+. I'm sure others would love to know what has worked for your rabbits[/QU

I rescued a rabbit which had been attacked by other rabbits. The vet said that he would be dead in two weeks and that the only thing was to put him to sleep. I phoned a vet in Ireland and he said to put a couple of drops of 6 per cent food grade hydrogen peroxide in its food and water. This didn't seem enough to save him to me, so I used a syringe and put it in the abscesses, it didn't hurt the rabbit who never flinched. 3 months later I took him back to the vet and he couldn't believe it was still alive. The vet in Ireland said he hadn't used antibiotics for over 30 years and had used hydrogen peroxide with incredible results. I have taken hydrogen peroxide orally myself in orange juice and even put 6 per cent in my eyes so its perfectly safe. Vets use Hydrogen peroxide, but only to clean wounds on animals.

Certainly hydrogen peroxide has historically been used to flush abscess wounds, it's been typically used alongside bicillin/penicillin injections. Manuka honey does much the same thing, and is more widely used these days :thumb:

Certainly hydrogen peroxide has historically been used to flush abscess wounds, it's been typically used alongside bicillin/penicillin injections. Manuka honey does much the same thing, and is more widely used these days :thumb:[/

I didn't flush it with H2o2 I injected it. I've taken three rabbits to vets with abscesses and none used hydrogen peroxide all they used was iodine. After I treated my first rabbit, The vet shook my hand and said : ''you've saved its life.'' The second rabbit was given Manuka but it failed to make any impression so I did the same again and it recovered too. My latest rescue has 6 abscesses and the vet just wanted to put it to sleep, as she thought it wouldn't last the night, its survived 6 days now after H2o2 and is recovering well.

Last edited:
Certainly hydrogen peroxide has historically been used to flush abscess wounds, it's been typically used alongside bicillin/penicillin injections. Manuka honey does much the same thing, and is more widely used these days :thumb:[/

I didn't flush it with H2o2 I injected it. I've taken three rabbits to vets with abscesses and none used hydrogen peroxide all they used was iodine. After I treated my first rabbit, The vet shook my hand and said : ''you've saved its life.'' The second rabbit was given Manuka but it failed to make any impression so I did the same again and it recovered too. My latest rescue has 6 abscesses and the vet just wanted to put it to sleep, as she thought it wouldn't last the night, its survived 6 days now after H2o2 and is recovering well.

Ah right, when you said you used a syringe and put it in the abscesses it wasn't clear that you actually used a needle and syringe and injected into the abscess without first draining it.

I understand now, thank you :)

MightyMax , your welcome, Hope this helps everybody who has a rabbit with this problem. It will take a while to make this little boy right again because of the severity of its injuries and the number of abscesses. Of course you have to be careful when doing this, its best if you can find a hole were the puss is coming out and insert the needle gently. you could also as I have done, get the vet to lance the abscess, but this can be risky if the animal is very ill and you think it may not stand the anaesthetic, that was my main worry. My rabbit was so ill I thought that he would not survive anaesthetic so this was an emergency. But I would advise getting the vet to lance it if you can.

Back