• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help me with bonding, please? ***Video Added***

anaqi

Warren Scout
Hi!

I know this is a big ask but is there anyone in the north Nottinghamshire / north Derbyshire / south Yorkshire area able to help me with bonding my bunnies? I live in Worksop, north Nottinghamshire and I've been having a few problems. I'm not sure if they are a good match and I would very much appreciate an experienced opinion and some hands on help.

I've had Edward for a year, he is almost 2 years old and neutered. He lost his partner on 2nd January and has been living alone outside ever since.

I adopted Ursula 5 weeks ago. She is around 8 months old and she was spayed 3 weeks ago. Ursula is quite a nervous bunny, she was in the pet shop for 5 months and put in the adoption section as no-one wanted to buy her because she's a black and white dutch. I have managed to gain her trust a little, she will take food from my hand but she runs and hides if there are any sudden noises. She is currently living in a XL dog crate in my conservatory.

They have had a few short bunny dates in neutral territory but they have all ended with aggression from Edward. Ursula is very interested in Edward but he nips her, pulls her fur out, plucks her whiskers out and eats them, he digs on her back pulling the fur out and he grunts and lunges at her. Edward's behaviour results in them circling and chasing and leaves Ursula in a very frightened state.

I know some of this behaviour is normal for bonding but I'm not experienced enough to tell if the match is going to work or not. I was hoping to get them bonded before the spring because I can't keep Ursula in the conservatory forever.

I live in Worksop, Nottinghamshire. Is anyone local available to give me a helping hand please? I can cover your costs and provide unlimited tea and cupcakes.

Thank you!

Clair

Last edited:
I gave the bonding another attempt on my own. Edward started out ignoring Ursula but then he randomly lunged at her and she flattened herself to the ground. She stayed very still for a few minutes but every time she dared to move he would lunge at her and nip her face again.

It doesn't feel like bonding. Ursula is terrified and I'm on edge waiting for Edward to attack her again. I've cuddled them up together and stroked them both at the same time but that only works for a few seconds before Edward nips her again. Edward isn't happy and Ursula is terrified.

I took a video on my phone. The attacks just come out of the blue. I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do.

I've bonded several pairs, but I wouldn't call myself experienced. I've not really come across unprovoked aggression, particularly when the other bunny is lying down submissively. The nearest I had was when I tried to bond my conti Bentley with Sugar. Sugar attacked Bentley's face every time he came near to her, in the end I decided that they probably just weren't compatible so I gave up on that pairing.

I know how stressful bonding can be for us and bunnies can pick up on our stress and tension, which doesn't help the situation. Would sending them away to be bonded be an option? Some rescues will do it for a donation, although it's still not guaranteed to work of course.

Another way would be to try a slower bond and keep them in pens side by side so that they can get used to each other being there, but Ursula would hopefully feel safer and gain some confidence. I know it's not always possible to do this as finding room for a double pen indoors can be an issue.

I'd be more than happy to come up and help, but I don't really know what I'd be able to do different from what you are already doing.

Hi Tracy!

Thank you for your reply. I think you've confirmed what I've been thinking, they aren't a compatible pair :(

The first time they met Edward pulled all of Ursula's whiskers out. At every meeting he has been aggressive, nipping at her, pulling her whiskers, grunting at her. The only thing that has stopped them having a big fight is the fact that Ursula is too scared to move. Edward just doesn't seem to like Ursula.

I already tried putting them next to each other. I used two sets of puppy panels in the conservatory. Ursula was very interested in Edward and would sit next to the adjoining panel and he would nip at her until she moved away. I thought they might calm down but after an hour they started rearing up at each other so I put Edward back outside in his hutch.

I hate to give up on things but it's too stressful for both me and the rabbits so I think it's time we stopped. Sadly I will have to rehome Ursula. We don't have the space to keep her, it wouldn't be fair to keep her on her own and I don't have the resources to look after two pairs of rabbits. I'll give Edward some time on his own and start looking for another partner for him in the summer.

Thanks again for your advice!

Clair

Back