• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Readigrass

mariposa

Mama Doe
So I find myself on the fabulous Hay Experts website again :lol: I've seen Readigrass mentioned a few times on here. Do you guys feed it mixed in with hay, or as a treat, or along with veg/herbs?
Thanks as always :)

So I find myself on the fabulous Hay Experts website again :lol: I've seen Readigrass mentioned a few times on here. Do you guys feed it mixed in with hay, or as a treat, or along with veg/herbs?

I free feed it instead of hay. Most people however, use it more sparingly - offer some now and again or mix it in with the hay.

For my boarding bunnies, I give a small handful of readigrass in the morning along with a few pellets.

They now sell green oat readigrass - I am going to get some to try one of these days :D

I free feed it instead of hay. Most people however, use it more sparingly - offer some now and again or mix it in with the hay.

For my boarding bunnies, I give a small handful of readigrass in the morning along with a few pellets.

They now sell green oat readigrass - I am going to get some to try one of these days :D

Thank you :)

Ooh, green oat too? More things to buy :lol:

Mine have theirs presented on their hungry caterpillar tray in the evening - just to fool them in to thinking they are getting something extra as they are incredibly greedy buns. I like the sound of green oat readigrass

I have always fed it sparingly as a treat as I understood it was a bit too rich to be a staple food. Probably depends on the bun though :)

Mine have theirs presented on their hungry caterpillar tray in the evening - just to fool them in to thinking they are getting something extra as they are incredibly greedy buns. I like the sound of green oat readigrass

Hehe, presented on a hungry caterpillar tray? Luck bunnies :lol:

Yaretzi, love that bowl :)

Thanks everyone!

I have always fed it sparingly as a treat as I understood it was a bit too rich to be a staple food. Probably depends on the bun though :)

Yeah that's the popular impression for sure. My dental buns find it far easier (and tastier) than hay, and eat just that and fresh grass. I've never had a problem with it, but as you say, probably depends on the rabbit :)

Hay experts do a set of sample hays if you want to try out different flavours :)

Readigrass is slightly richer than normal hay, closer to grass, so I'd switch gradually if your bun has a sensitive tum.

Isnt it higher in calcium than normal hay? Or am I thinking alfalfa...and also oat grass/hay?

I never used to give much redigrass as they got icky tummies on it...but this last winter I have added a handful every other day and they enjoy it. No issues but I do wonder about the calcium thing...

found this link below...its for gerbils...lol..but the info is general hay info which was interesting.

http://www.egerbil.com/hay.html

Isnt it higher in calcium than normal hay? Or am I thinking alfalfa...and also oat grass/hay?

I never used to give much redigrass as they got icky tummies on it...but this last winter I have added a handful every other day and they enjoy it. No issues but I do wonder about the calcium thing...

found this link below...its for gerbils...lol..but the info is general hay info which was interesting.

http://www.egerbil.com/hay.html

Calcium is very slightly higher (nothing at all like alfalfa) and protein is a little higher too.

I have never had a single bunny with any calcium/sludge issues in the last 20+ years. They get a lot more calcium in the water they drink than ever in the readigrass.

It's just freeze dried grass after all - nothing added.

I am looking forward to trying out the green oat readigrass :thumb:

My girls get it every day morning and evening in a little tree toy (it has a nice tray around the bottom).
It works out to about 4 handfuls a day and they love it.

I've never fed it as a hay substitute, but I feed it as a more than just a treat because as MightyMax said, it's just dried grass :)

Last edited:
My two highly recommend the green oat readigrass from The Hay Experts! Some good chunky bits and they especially like the seed heads :)

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Mine love the green oat readigrass. So far I can only buy it in small (1kg) bags, but buy four at a time, wrapped in plastic. It is coarse, with lots of stems and leaves, with some oat heads. It smells fantastic, and mine all ate it straight away. I also buy Rosewood grass cookies, they love those too.

I feed the normal readigrass on a free-feed basis, they eat it well. I buy it in large bags, normally packed for horses. It works out a lot cheaper than buying small bags.

Last edited:
Mine love the green oat readigrass. So far I can only buy it in small (1kg) bags, but buy four at a time, wrapped in plastic. It is coarse, with lots of stems and leaves, with some oat heads. It smells fantastic, and mine all ate it straight away. I also buy Rosewood grass cookies, they love those too.

I feed the normal readigrass on a free-feed basis, they eat it well. I buy it in large bags, normally packed for horses. It works out a lot cheaper than buying small bags.

Yes I get mine from a horse supplies shop when I go to get the hay and straw :thumb:

If you want a sample I have loads - used to feed to Flo but Tubsy can't have it cos he's a fatty haha.

Back