• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sudden Death??

sammyjane

New Kit
Hello,

Unfortunately late last week one of my lovely bunnies, Lilly, passed over. Obviously i'm very upset but mostly confused as to what happened and worried that i may of missed something.

She was absolutely fine the night before, her hutch was inside the conservatory and every night i pop a blanket over the front of the pen on cold nights (we dont have full heating in the conservatory - it isnt cold by any means but over the night in winter it can get chilly). The sides are left open for air and we have done this for years. But she was absolutely fine - hopping around, eating and drinking, everything was fine in terms of toilet. When i went to say good morning she was dead :(
She looked like she had literally been sleeping and then fell over dead. The pen had been freshly cleaned the day before and there was no sign of a struggle - nothing had been kicked etc. Her sister was just cuddled up next to her.
Im just very worried that i missed something, or that i could of done something. I did notice the day before she did sneeze a couple of times but i thought maybe she had some hay tickling her nose. I took her out and checked her - her eyes were bright (no weeping) and her nose was clean and dry, as were her paws. She was a brown and white dutch rabbit and so any marks would be easy to see. I know it sounds morbid but i did give her a quick check over after she had passed but there wasnt so much as a runny nose. Im devastated as to what happened to her - she was 4 and a half years old, vaccinated and spayed. Did i miss something?

Also her sister is obviously very upset. Luckly i read its best that they spend time with the body to accept death and by the looks of things shes spent a few hours with her in the night. I really cant get another rabbit due to things out of my control (i had to move back home to look after my ill dad and he doesnt want anymore). I've been giving the remaining rabbit lots of cuddles and attention and playing with her. Shes eating and drinking fine (she didnt even go off her food for a day), i've brought her some new toys to distract her and cheer her up but she actually seems ok. Will she be ok on her own. I know its not ideal but i work from home and have the rabbit play pen in with me during the day - it would just be the evenings/nights she would be alone.

I'm sorry you lost Lilly. It does sound a bit of a mystery and hopefully someone will be along who may have some ideas as to what may of happened.

x

Hello,

Unfortunately late last week one of my lovely bunnies, Lilly, passed over. Obviously i'm very upset but mostly confused as to what happened and worried that i may of missed something.

She was absolutely fine the night before, her hutch was inside the conservatory and every night i pop a blanket over the front of the pen on cold nights (we dont have full heating in the conservatory - it isnt cold by any means but over the night in winter it can get chilly). The sides are left open for air and we have done this for years. But she was absolutely fine - hopping around, eating and drinking, everything was fine in terms of toilet. When i went to say good morning she was dead :(
She looked like she had literally been sleeping and then fell over dead. The pen had been freshly cleaned the day before and there was no sign of a struggle - nothing had been kicked etc. Her sister was just cuddled up next to her.
Im just very worried that i missed something, or that i could of done something. I did notice the day before she did sneeze a couple of times but i thought maybe she had some hay tickling her nose. I took her out and checked her - her eyes were bright (no weeping) and her nose was clean and dry, as were her paws. She was a brown and white dutch rabbit and so any marks would be easy to see. I know it sounds morbid but i did give her a quick check over after she had passed but there wasnt so much as a runny nose. Im devastated as to what happened to her - she was 4 and a half years old, vaccinated and spayed. Did i miss something?

Also her sister is obviously very upset. Luckly i read its best that they spend time with the body to accept death and by the looks of things shes spent a few hours with her in the night. I really cant get another rabbit due to things out of my control (i had to move back home to look after my ill dad and he doesnt want anymore). I've been giving the remaining rabbit lots of cuddles and attention and playing with her. Shes eating and drinking fine (she didnt even go off her food for a day), i've brought her some new toys to distract her and cheer her up but she actually seems ok. Will she be ok on her own. I know its not ideal but i work from home and have the rabbit play pen in with me during the day - it would just be the evenings/nights she would be alone.

Welcome to the forum SammyJane :wave:

I'm so sorry you lost your rabbit. That's awful, especially when you weren't expecting it at all.

As I'm sure you know, without a post mortem, there's really no way to even guess at what might have been the case with Lilly. It seems you were looking after her, had her spayed and vaccinated, and couldn't do more.

I would suggest, if it feels right to you, to have the vet take a look at your remaining rabbit just to check there isn't anything going on with her. Just in case something was passed between the two of them, though I realise that's unlikely.

Rabbits can do fine on their own with lots of human company. Of course they would much prefer a rabbit friend, but as that's not possible for you right now, she sounds like she will get on with you OK.

Hello,

I am very sorry for your loss :cry: I very much doubt that you missed anything, sudden deaths can occur for a variety of reasons. There may be no warning signs at all. Once I actually witnessed it with one of my Rabbits (Maya). She was sitting in her litter tray munching hay and showing no signs of illness or distress at all. She hopped out of her tray to go and see her Rabbit companion, lurched forward and died. The shock was horrendous and I could hardly believe my eyes. I actually posted about it on here as soon as it happened

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...44-ANOTHER-U-D-FURIOUS-!!&highlight=maya+died

But really, if there is such a thing as a 'good death' then how Maya went and by the sounds of it how Lilly went are examples of just that.

I think Lily's sister will be fine as a single House Rabbit. Perhaps eventually she could be with you in the evenings too, so it'd just be overnight that she was completely alone ?

But obviously as your Dad is not well that may not always be possible. I am sure that you will do all you can to make sure that Lilly's sister (sorry, you haven't mentioned her name) is happy

Oh no so sorry for your loss. I too have been in a similar situation to you this week. It's very difficult to understand how bunnies can go from seeming o.k to passed away in a short space of time. I suppose with them being prey animals they will do their absolute best to hide symptoms so they don't appear weak being prey animals. They also go downhill extremely fast. I think if your other bunny seems fine on her own and you can spend time with her then she will be fine.

Oh no so sorry for your loss. I too have been in a similar situation to you this week. It's very difficult to understand how bunnies can go from seeming o.k to passed away in a short space of time. I suppose with them being prey animals they will do their absolute best to hide symptoms so they don't appear weak being prey animals. They also go downhill extremely fast. I think if your other bunny seems fine on her own and you can spend time with her then she will be fine.

Over the years of keeping bunnies I've come to realise this is key to trying to understand them. Basically, it's almost impossible to know whether a rabbit is really suffering. What's really going on inside. We get some inkling, but they are just such hidden and mysterious creatures, I don't think we will ever fully fathom them.

Bless all their little hearts :love:

Over the years of keeping bunnies I've come to realise this is key to trying to understand them. Basically, it's almost impossible to know whether a rabbit is really suffering. What's really going on inside. We get some inkling, but they are just such hidden and mysterious creatures, I don't think we will ever fully fathom them.

Bless all their little hearts :love:

I had this inkling and wish so much I had acted on it quicker than I did. That's a really good way to explain it. It's very difficult to understand prey animals when we are built so different to them. It's all about survival instincts.

Back