• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring/bedding in cage

Mzie1981

New Kit
Since removing the sawdust from all over fudges cage and just having it in his litter tray he's getting horrible black feet from the newspaper! What would be a good alternative?

I have old sheets on the cage floor. Handy to just brush off and place back in. Lily also has a few towels and a pillow in hers as she loves to dig in them. I just check that she's not eating any loose threads that appear and just cut them off. I pick them up from charity shops and wash when needed. They are both litter trained so sheets are a good choice for us. Vinyl is also a good choice as are door mats and small rugs. Just watch for chewing and that they are easy to clean.

The girls have a blanket or towel in the top half of their cage, and on the bottom half where one of their trays are they get fitch bedding on the bottom half. (This is a new thing we're trying to see how they like it but it is lovely and soft!!)

I use fleece blankets downstairs next to the litter tray...they usually lay there alot......newspaper just got wet...chewed...not a great thing....and it was a mission. Upstairs I just dump a heap of aubiose with hay.

I never even thought about a towel etc! When I had rabbits years ago they weren't litter trained and very messy, fudge came to me almost litter trained and I can't get over how clean he is!

If he's litter trained then anything washable is a good choice. It's so much nicer looking too. I found that everything stuck to fleece so i stopped using it but it's cosy, practical and they seem to love it. :thumb:

I use fleece in my hutches on both levels as they like to lay on them and dig in them. Although hay does stick to them like crazy! Have you tried using straw instead? If they are likely to chew fleeces than I would use a good layer of straw instead - especially as it is getting colder I'm sure your bun would enjoy snuggling into it

Back