• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

48 inch Dog Crate as a base.

Milo2015

Warren Scout
At the moment the rabbits have a 180cm cage which they spend far too much time in. It is two dog crates joined together so has a sort of ridge in the middle for poo to escape into. The floors are lined (correx and kiddie mats) and Milo and Penny have toys and steps etc. And a litter tray.

I could rearrange the room, rabbit proof it thoroughly and let them have full time access to the room aside from when I am asleep. however in order to cover all the power points and leads and still be able to sit at my desk and see the tv from my bed (!) they would have to have a smaller base. I can't figure the furniture any other way and at the moment it isn't safe to have them out without unplugging everything and wrapping up all the wires(a total pain). The move would mean all the electrics on one side of the room hidden behind furniture and sellotaped to the back of furniture so none run along the floor and them on the other - in a 48 inch dog crate.

If Milo didn't have a habit of jumping on my head I would leave them out as they are litter trained and so good. But he does that and it scares the life out of me. also I am renting so can't put them anywhere else in the house.

I would rather they had the bigger cage but it is so impractical in terms of.....well everything! Long term I am figuring they will have to live outside really. Land lady not entirely thrilled with them - they have won her over in some ways by being super cute but am pushing my luck. She would be okay with them freeranging so they have been so good.

SO after that massive ramble Is a 48 inch dog crate enough for a pair of rabbits as a base?

Hi, so would your base remain open for them 24/7?

Only because I use a dog crate as a base which remains open and I find it works great! :) in regards to wires, I used to cable tie ours back?

I can complelty understand how you feel about your bunny jumping on your bed and I know the thought must be scary.. But have you checked to see if he does it when your not their, only because my bunny jumps on our bed but Only if I'm in the room with her.. Like she's showing off? Don't know if this is a similar case? As maybe he wouldn't do it when you leave them? Xx

Milo does it all the time - he has landed on my head a fair few times, as originally I did leave them out full time. The thing is it makes me jump so much and it scares us both. I have pretty much decided to buy the 48 inch crate, it is 30 inches wide and 33 inches high so enough to have a shelf.

Back