• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peanut Butter is in hospital U/D coming home!

I've had to take Peanut Butter to the emergency vets this evening. I gave the boys their dinner as usual this evening (a few pellets and forage) and Peanut Butter is usually really enthusiastic about his food. However tonight he was barely interested. He reluctantly ate a few pellets but wouldn't eat anything else, even when I waved it in his face. I gave it 20 minutes but still no interest. I phoned the hospital and they said to bring him straight down, which I did.

During the consultation, the vet noted that his tummy felt "doughy". He also do a glucose test which has come out quite high. In addition they have noticed lumps near his ears which they suspect could be abscesses. The vet said that due to their location it could be possible to remove them via surgery, although that is something we would have to deal with later. For the time being he is being put on fluids and gut medication.

I was given the option of admitting him over night or bringing him home to administer meds here. It was really hard to know what to do for the best. I opted for admittance as, because he hates being handled so much, my attempts at giving him medication might stress him even more and precipitate full on gut stasis. I also thought it might be better for him to be kept under close monitoring and if his condition gets worse they'll be able to deal with it better than I could. Snoopy is staying with him so I'm hoping that well help him settle.

I'm beside myself with worry. The vet said he was quite pessimistic, although I'm not sure if he means the immediate future or long term because of the suspected abscesses. Scrappy passed away at the hospital and I'm convinced I'm going to get another awful phone call in the middle of the night. :cry:

Last edited:
I'm really sorry. You have done absolutely the right thing having him admitted. If his blood glucose reading is high it needed to be monitored along with all the other 'red flag' symptoms. Making that judgment call at home during the night is really hard. That said, I've had loads present like that and after the basic treatment they've been fine. Elijah has had about 20 admissions with high blood glucose readings.

Sending good news vibes.

Oh no :cry: Poor Peanut Butter and poor you. You must be beside yourself with worry. Sending loads and loads of vibes for your little one. I really hope you get some good news in the morning.

Thanks Bunny Buddy and Omi. I'm really hoping the treatment will help him. It's frightening how quickly they can turn, up until this evening he was perfectly fine with no indication at all that anything was wrong :(

I'm sorry Peanut Butter isn't well. Truffle is another bun who suffers with similar symptoms-maybe a couple of times a year-usually she recovers very quickly. I hope Peanut Butter is better in the morning.

I'm really sorry to read this :cry:

Praying for a good outcome and I hope you can remain as calm as possible during this stressful time.

Sending hugs x

Oh poor Peanut Butter :( adding my vibes and prayers for his successful treatment and return to health.
((((((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))))) to you as well...I can imagine your discomfort at having to leave him at hospital after Scrappy... it is doubly hard to have to trust such a situation again. But I really hope all will be well and that he can come back home with you and Snoopy tomorrow. xxxxxxx

I hope that PB will have responded to treatment overnight and that the Vet can provide good advice as to the best way forward to address the possibility of an ear abscess.

Oh no scrappy, poor little peanut butter!!

Sending millions of vibes for him and hope he had a comfortable night. I can imagine how your feeling, but you did everything right! Take care and really hope he has improved over night xxx

Just read your thread, so sorry Peanut Butter has had to be admitted. I really hope that the news is good this morning. Sending healing and eating vibes for your little bun xxxx

Ahhhhh no I'm so sorry, I hope Peanut Butter has improved this morning xx

There must be something in the air, I had to take Shadow to the emergency vets last night, I put the pellets in yesterday evening and neither were fussed although Susan did eat.

Shadow wasn't even tempted for a fenugreek crunchie :shock: I gave him tummy rubs which he seemed to find some ease with and then at 9.30 I decided he needed the vet as he was hunched up then laying flat out pressing his tum to the floor.

The vet was very thorough and he has a gut stimulant and painkiller and he had perked up somewhat before that, I came home with him and syringed 5ml of mushed up pellets and it all went in, settled him back with Susan for the night and this morning he didn't have pellets but ate a crunchie and some dried herbs, HOORAY, he's being monitored by my husband all day.

I'm so sorry I babbled on.

Loads of love heading to PB xxx

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your vibes and well wishes. I really do appreciate them.

Just managed to get through to the hospital (the line has been permanantely engaged all morning which hasn't helped my anxiety levels!)

Apparently Peanut Butter is doing a bit better. He has eaten a bit but they want to see him eating more. They think he's passed some poos, although it's obviously difficult to tell if they're his or Snoopy's. Although I'm assuming if he's got gut issues and is eating less his will probably be a lot smaller. They want to keep him in today and continue monitoring. They said they will keep me updated.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your vibes and well wishes. I really do appreciate them.

Just managed to get through to the hospital (the line has been permanantely engaged all morning which hasn't helped my anxiety levels!)

Apparently Peanut Butter is doing a bit better. He has eaten a bit but they want to see him eating more. They think he's passed some poos, although it's obviously difficult to tell if they're his or Snoopy's. Although I'm assuming if he's got gut issues and is eating less his will probably be a lot smaller. They want to keep him in today and continue monitoring. They said they will keep me updated.

Well that sounds to be relatively positive news. Hopefully he will continue to improve throughout the day xx

awww thank you for the update!

Hugs and vibes for further and continued improvement! :wave:

Back