• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Problem with 2 year old bunny :(

C1A1RE

Warren Scout
Evening all me and my fiance have an indoor little mini lop who we've had since he was 12 weeks old, he's now nearly two and a half years old. He's been ok all day but about an hour ago he went into his litter started digging and biting the edge of his tray which he's never done before but then jumped straight out of it, he did for another couple of times so my fiance cleaned his litter tray out, it was cleaned out early this afternoon but we decided to clean it out again to see if his behaviour changed but no it didn't. He keeps going into his litter tray and jumping straight back out, there's no sign of any wee in his tray (I know hes had wees today before this start happening ) but there is poos in there and another thing is that when either me and my fiance go anyway near him he's really flinchy and runs away from us (he's normally a very fussy bunny who follows us around everywhere).
Has anyone else had the same problem with their bunny or got any idea what the problem could be (this is our first bunny)
I was wondering would it be ok to wait and take him to our vets that open at 8.30am in the morning or find an emergency vets in our area? I'm leaning more towards the emergency vets and just looking them up in our area as I'm writing this post.

Thank you all in advance

Has anything changed in your house, new furniture, sounds, smells.....? Could be he's spooked...but like you are already thinking, a check up at the vets would be a good idea to hopefully rule out any medical problems.

Has anything changed in your house, new furniture, sounds, smells.....? Could be he's spooked...but like you are already thinking, a check up at the vets would be a good idea to hopefully rule out any medical problems.

Thank you MrsBunnykins for your reply. Nothing has changed at all in the house.
He's been in his litter tray and jumped straight back out twice since I wrote my first post. My fiance has just slowly gone up to him and Gizmo (our bunny) has just done his 100mph dash behind the back of the sofas into the corner of the living room.

It's not something I have encountered before, but it also sounds to me that something has spooked him. Have you tried holding out a treat for him and seeing if he will approach you? If it were me I think I would get him checked by a vet tomorrow. Hope you get on OK.

Thank you Omi for your reply.
Well we've not long got back from the emergency vets, we didn't want to leave him until the morning.
Little Gizmo has cystitis, he was given two injections Baytril and Metacam and we've got to take him to his normal vets in the morning so they can reexamine him and start treatment. He had a wee while he was at the vets which we were so happy about.

Well we've not long got back from the emergency vets, we didn't want to leave him until the morning.
Little Gizmo has cystitis, he was given two injections Baytril and Metacam and we've got to take him to his normal vets in the morning so they can reexamine him and start treatment. He had a wee while he was at the vets which we were so happy about.

Poor little fella, fingers, toes and paws crossed for a speedy recovery. And well done you for noticing something was wrong and acting so swiftly.

Thank you so much Mrs Bunnykins. He's an indoor bunny so he's around us quite alot so luckily we notice quite early on and quickly when he's not his normal self.
He's cuddled up in the corner of the living room at the moment.

Thank you so much Mrs Bunnykins. He's an indoor bunny so he's around us quite alot so luckily we notice quite early on and quickly when he's not his normal self.
He's cuddled up in the corner of the living room at the moment.

Sleep tight little bunny....you are in the best of hands. x

He's very lucky that he has owners who recognise something is wrong and act promptly!
Hope he starts to feel better soon - cystitis is so painful.

I am pleased that you got to the bottom of his unusual behaviour. Sending lots of vibes that he makes a speedy recovery :love:

So glad to read this update :thumb:

I hope he continues to improve! You did the right thing :)

This is Claires other half. We have the little man booked into the vets for check up and to check his vitals are ok etc....Thank you all for your concern and well wishes. Adrian.
795c03e7393ea4ca000dc77f29a82c6b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

That's our little Gizmo having a cuddle off Claire as he doesn't like being prodded and poked by those nasty vet people lol. He's a cutey, he truly is, such a character.
44db09e983c26544b171cc95f775baf4.jpg

That's our little Gizmo having a cuddle off Claire as he doesn't like being prodded and poked by those nasty vet people lol. He's a cutey, he truly is, such a character.

I hope all went well for Gizmo.........................and the Vet !!

Thank you so much Tulsi and Mighty Max.

The edited photo of Gizmo at the vets made me laugh Jack's-Jane, thank you so much for that, it's a good one lol :)

Back