• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy eye - any way to stop fur getting crispy?

booboobunny

Warren Scout
My oldest bunny Boo Boo has a blocked tear duct in her right eye which causes her to constantly have a weepy eye. The vet attempted to flush it previously, but it only stayed dry for about a day.
Every evening I use cotton pads with warm water to wipe the area as her fur gets very crispy and almost matted.
I just wondered if anyone else has a bunny with a similar condition and if there is anything better than just water or a good technique to keep the fur from getting so crispy? Her right eye always looks a bit weird, even straight after it's cleaned, and the fur always feels crunchy.

Hi, sorry I don't have any advice sorry, but hope your bunny is okay?

I am currently treating my bun with ear drops and similar gets crusty fur on her head where she flicks out and I hate seeing her struggle to clean it, so also interested in hearing with others have to say!

X

We had this problem with our French lop. We usually cleaned it every day and trimmed the fur with scissors to help stop it getting matted. We also used a spray called leucillin to help the skin around the eye if it started getting sore or crusty.

My oldest bunny Boo Boo has a blocked tear duct in her right eye which causes her to constantly have a weepy eye. The vet attempted to flush it previously, but it only stayed dry for about a day.
Every evening I use cotton pads with warm water to wipe the area as her fur gets very crispy and almost matted.
I just wondered if anyone else has a bunny with a similar condition and if there is anything better than just water or a good technique to keep the fur from getting so crispy? Her right eye always looks a bit weird, even straight after it's cleaned, and the fur always feels crunchy.

Cooled boiled water and a cotton wool ball (I probably said this on your other thread?) is the key. However, once daily isn't enough. Do it twice daily, and where possible three times.

You can get a vet nurse to clip away the fur under the eye, but I don't think that's worth bothering with, as it will only grow back with the same problem.

A warm compress under the eye will release any gunk in the tear duct - you will still have to wipe it away, but it may give you and her a few hours without a discharge.

We had this problem with our French lop. We usually cleaned it every day and trimmed the fur with scissors to help stop it getting matted. We also used a spray called leucillin to help the skin around the eye if it started getting sore or crusty.

Leucillin is OK as a wound spray, although it contains 99.7% water and 0.03% sodium chloride, so you may be better off with *warm* water with a bit of salt added.

The Hyphochlorus acid, which is the active ingredient, has been shown to be effective against bacteria when used in a greater quantity than the 0.06% of the spray, but bacteria shouldn't be an issue with the skin around the eyes anyway. My view is not to put chemicals onto a pet unless absolutely necessary.

I am off my soapbox now :lol:

I have owned several elderly bunnies and with one bunny the tear duct flush lasted a short time and with his brother it was not able to open the tear duct.
Even though it is not a permanent fix; as others have said, clipping fur near the eye will keep the skin dryer and prevent the skin from becoming irritated.
Your vet may be able to determine if the 'crusty' is what is clogging the tear duct to begin with and if your bunny needs eye drops for any infection or inflammation.
If that is not the case, then I concur with using sterile water and pads to cleans the area. Be very gentle and soak any crusty area before attempting to remove it from the fur.
Ask your vet before trying anything over the counter.

A little fur trim there might be the best solution, it will still need wiping but it will stop matted fur that can pull and be sore.

Thanks everyone. I'll start wiping the eye twice a day which will hopefully stop too much gunk building up in her fur. She's not got very long fur (thankfully) and she doesn't seem to notice her eye any more than the other, but I don't like the thought that any dried fur might pull her skin. It's only the past month or so that it's really started to become noticeably crispy. I hadn't thought about actually having the fur cut away - I'll definitely ask my vet about that.
Her other eye gets fluff stuck in it daily so I'm having to pull it out of the corner of her eye every day. She is so good with all this though - she just sits and lets me poke away at her eyes, never struggles or pulls her head away :)

I use a tiny bit of Lacrilube as prescribed by my Vet

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/eyes/a6977/lacri-lube-eye-ointment/

It is perfectly safe if any goes into the eye, although as only a tiny amount is needed around the eye it is unlikely to go into the eye anyway. It is working very well for Enya, my Rabbit who has a 'weepy eye' due to a conjunctival abnormality.

I would only bathe the eye once-twice a day as too much bathing can irritate the delicate skin and exacerbate problems. The Lacrilube provides a protective barrier and prevents the accumulation of crusts. Any that may occur are easier to remove.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll start wiping the eye twice a day which will hopefully stop too much gunk building up in her fur. She's not got very long fur (thankfully) and she doesn't seem to notice her eye any more than the other, but I don't like the thought that any dried fur might pull her skin. It's only the past month or so that it's really started to become noticeably crispy. I hadn't thought about actually having the fur cut away - I'll definitely ask my vet about that.
Her other eye gets fluff stuck in it daily so I'm having to pull it out of the corner of her eye every day. She is so good with all this though - she just sits and lets me poke away at her eyes, never struggles or pulls her head away :)

Yes, a gentle bathe twice daily is what my vet recommended for my rabbit Max who had a constantly weeping eye!

We tried Lacrilube, but my vet was rather worried at the time that there have been two government recalls on the product, so decided against it. It also contains some ingredients (white paraffin and lanolin) which are known irritants and it's not indicated for rabbits.

She sounds like a real darling letting you help her out like she does :D

My Tenzing has this too. I was told it was her teeth pressing on the tear duct and nothing can be done just keep clean. We bathe it once a day with boiled cool water. I find cotton buds work quite well. Shes used to it now so lets me do it. Makes her look so poorly though.

Cooled Chamomile tea can also help with the redness and to reduce some irritancy, I use to bathe Merlin's eyes once-twice daily and clip fur away every few day's when he was suffering bless him

I tried chamomile tea when she first had this, it really stains the fur and makes her look like she's been in a fight! I just use plain water now. She seems to enjoy being pampered.

I tried chamomile tea when she first had this, it really stains the fur and makes her look like she's been in a fight! I just use plain water now. She seems to enjoy being pampered.

Glad it works! Don't all our buns enjoy pampering :D

Back