• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring for a Rex

JoFranks

New Kit
Hi, newbie here!

I have had rexes for year, used to show and breed.
I have recently gained a different line, for pet, who seem to suffer more with their hocks.
I am planning on keeping the skin soft with some coconut oil as I swear by the stuff - but I wondered if anyone can recommend a good floor covering. She is litter trained and I change that regularly, but at the mo she is just on dust extracted wood shavings. I used to use megazorb for my litter trays but I'm not sure if that would be any softer against her sores? I need something spongey!
She is in being spayed today so I am sure if there is any infection, they will bring it up, but I want to stop it getting any worse.
Thanks.

My mini rex has sore hocks. She's 8 years old and has had sore hocks since she was 6 months old. She has had countless vet visits to treat them, and we have learned to manage them. She is on long term Metacam to reduce inflammation and make sure she's pain free.

Her flooring is a thick layer of soft meadow hay. I've found this works best as her feet sink in and there's no pressure on any part of her foot. I also use Vetbed on areas of floor where it would be impractical to have hay. This also works well as her feet sink in.

Hi, newbie here!
g.png

welcome

My mini rexes are two years and two months and have beautiful paws
My tips would be keep their claws trimmed, make sure they're not overweight, give them plenty of space to exercise
Mine are on grass, with vetbed in their hutch living area and hay in the sleeping area and wooden platforms. But mostly on grass.
When they come inside, they have tiles and wood and a blanket

Yes I've read a few people that recommend vet bed. I guess I'm old school, in my head I want something absorbent but I know she always pee's in her tray!
I was wondering if there was a horse bedding that's quite thick and spongey. But again, I'm thinking absorbency. I guess I just need comfy.

Back