• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering advice?

tstait45

Young Bun
Hi all, I feel bad as I keep asking for advice and can only share cute pictures in return. But I'm hoping that will suffice.

Anyway, I took the boys to be neutered a couple of weeks ago, and whilst checking them over, the vet noticed Benji was 'lacking' on one side.

She was very good and explained it was up to me what we did, but she thought it would be best to wait a bit and see if his other one decided to show up in a couple of months before we went ahead.

She also said that if it didn't he might need a different surgery to see if it was inside and needed removing.

To be fair, we didn't go over the details as I imagine she was expecting it to appear. However I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience? Would they x-ray or something first?

He is a happy healthy boy and despite being the more submissive of the pair, has recently discovered humping his housemate Logan too, so he clearly has the right hormones.

Ideally I want them done at the same time as I don't want to upset their hierarchy as I'm worried if Logan is neutered and we have to wait for Benji, then Benji might try to be the more dominant whilst Logan recovers, which might lead to fighting.

Here are the boys.

Benji,
786292560339504487bb03cfa13a84ab.jpg

And Logan.
29f19db9be98b6fcb55e45b8d7f2d67b.jpg

I've not had this with rabbits but my dog had the same when he was a pup, we waited but it never materialised so went ahead and did the op. They didn't do an xray or anything first but he had a bigger wound and more stitches than normal as they had to make a bigger insisson to find the missing one

I've only had this once with a boy and they made an extra incision to find the hidden testicle. It is better to have it removed as they can become cancerous. With regard to hierarchy, neutering quite often messes this up anyway when having 2 boys done at the same time so it's difficult to say which is the best course of action. I see one rabbit is bigger than the other and the chances of them remaining good friends for ever are not high, but you might be lucky.

Logan is a little bigger, but he is also very hairy so he looks a lot bigger than he actually is.

Back