• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a good sign???

I'm planning on bonding my remaining two as they have both recently lost their partners. They are neighbors and have been able to see each other for the last four years (but not to touch each other). The big day for bonding is this Friday so in preparation for this I've started to swap over dirty litter trays for each of them and I was watching them very closely but neither of them took any notice at all of the new smell they each had. Is this a good sign as I'm really hoping they will bond well. Both were neutered/spayed when they were very young and are now 7 and 4, male and female. The bonding will start in the natural area in my kitchen and we'll go from there. I'm prepared to stay with them through the night to supervise if needed.

Wish me luck on Friday as if this works we'll open up the whole hut and massive run area and they'll have the use of this all. It really would be so lovely for them : ) Plan is to open up a section at a time depending on how they are getting on over a two week period. :wave:

So sorry this thread was missed! Swapping litter trays doesn't really do much as with their semnse of smell they would know there's a rabbit probably half a mile away :lol: Anyway, the key points to bear in mind is female bunnies are more territorial than males so try to avoid any area she has been in before (until after they are bonded). Although they have lived next to one another for a few years, when you put them together the male will possibly still chase the female, as there is no hierarchy which has to be sorted out. So the best thing to happen will be the female will run away from him for a day or so before everything settles down. So, fingers crossed it should be a success. Who has lived in the big area before?

I'm sorry, too, that this was missed. I hope it all goes well - would be so good for all concerned.

Thanks guys, I'm really hoping it goes well. Guess I won't know until they are together. I'm kinda getting excited about it now but if it doesn't work out it's not a problem I'll just think of something else.

I'll keep you updated :wave:

You sound really positive - good for you! What I would say is not to rush things - by which I mean don't be in a hurry to move them from their bonding area even if they seem to be getting on ok: taking it nice and slowly should lead to a happily bonded couple. Fingers crossed. Don't forget to give us an update.

Well it was the big day on Saturday and we finally put Parsnip with Blossom. Gosh it was so stressful but I did lots of homework and the day went well. It was very hard not to get too involved when the humping started but all it took as a soft tap on the bum with an oven glove and things calmed down. Lots of humping but nothing nasty and Blossom just moved away completely not fussed at all. I stayed watching them all day and I have to say how fascinating their body language was. I didn't know how needy Parsnip actually is. Looking for head grooms whenever he could and trying every way he could think of to get attention. We knew he would be the most bossy of the two but he's doing it in the most lovely way.

We put them back in their hut outside the following day but kept them inside it. Sunday afternoon we let them into the run for an hour. So far there's still a small amount of humping but all very gentle and lots of grooming on both parts. Fingers crossed all continues to go well as I know it's still early days yet. It's so lovely to see them together at last.

Sounds like good news...bless them they both prob like Im so glad to have a friend again!

I do find it amazing to watch their body language...always something new to learn. At least you have a doe/buck to try bond...
Good luck

Back