• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mice in Rabbit Shed!

SammyJae

Warren Scout
This morning when I went to feed the bunnies there was mouse poop everywhere in the shed! I've taken out all their food/treat tubs & will get metal tubs to put them in but will the mice keep coming in for the hay or will they not be interested in that? There is never any food lying around as the bunnies hoover it up as soon as it hits the floor!

I don't think I'd be overly concerned if mice got into our shed to be honest as they're not as germy as rats (allegedly). You've taken out the food tubs BUT you cannot remove all the food as you still feed the rabbits in there so there will be bits left behind that you can't do anything about. No matter how good your bunnies are at hoovering, there will be bits left behind and the mice will find them. Best thing to do is to try and find the entrance hole. It/they will be tiny, as small as the diameter of a pen or pencil, and block it up.

They may be after the hay for bedding for their own nests - they may just decide that the shed is a better, easier option for said nests!

Do not use traps or poison (obviously).

The only way you can stop them is to find out where they're getting in and block it.

Good luck!

Not too worried about germs, more about them chewing the electric wires or a big hole somewhere! I had a look around but can't find any holes, the cat flap is open 24/7 so I guess they could come in that way? Is there any kind of natural repellent that's bunny safe? I read about peppermint oil but I'm not sure if that's safe

Yes, they're probably using the cat flap then. I don't know about peppermint oil - sounds tempting to a rabbit to be honest so whether it's safe or not I have no idea. As for the wires, I don't have electric in my shed as I don't see the point so I can't help you on that one either I'm afraid.

I'm all out of ideas, sorry. I don't think you could even use humane traps as the rabbits would either move them and/or set them off so they'd be pretty useless and of course you couldn't use any other traps because you'd run a very high risk of injuring your rabbits.

Looks like your bunnies are going to have permanent shed mates!

Back