• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scab on skin

1203e041b4c8cdfe9f6b54584a5b3115.jpg

Can anyone please help. I have just noticed my little boy Henry has a scab on his back and I don't know what it is? Can anyone please advise. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

He was castrated a couple of weeks ago and chewed his clue wound open twice so ended up having to be stitched. He had his stitches out on Monday x

Hi, I think you may want to get the vet to check it out, my bun recently had similar on his nose and it was myxi. It is not so serious if your rabbit has been vaccinated, my rabbit is fine in himself, but its best to get it checked out.

He was castrated a couple of weeks ago and chewed his clue wound open twice so ended up having to be stitched. He had his stitches out on Monday x

The scab is probably from an injection of an antibiotic called 'Baytril'. This is sometimes referred to as 'Baytril Burn'. The problem should be self limiting and heal up well. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it remains clean and dry. Any signs of 'oozing' or if the area starts to look inflamed/swollen and/or feels unusually warm to the touch then you need to get the Vet to take a look :)

He was on that medication so hopefully that is what it is

It looks quite nasty for a one off Baytril 'burn', but whatever it is, so long as you keep it dry, it should heal up

A vaccination puncture is the most likely culprit, but he's not been vaccinated within the last month?

Think He had an antibiotic injection when he had he was castrated

Very likely.

Baytril injections can cause a deep tissue reaction in some Rabbits. The resulting wound forming quite a crater with a big scab on top. Complete healing may take a few weeks.

Think He had an antibiotic injection when he had he was castrated

You could ring your vet, explain where the sore is, and ask whether he had an antibiotic (or other) injection at that site. They should then be able to tell you whether to come in or to allow it to heal on it's own.

My vets only open for emergency at weekends. If it is the same or worse by Monday I will take him. The sides of the scab are lifting a bit but the middle seems deep

My vets only open for emergency at weekends. If it is the same or worse by Monday I will take him. The sides of the scab are lifting a bit but the middle seems deep

Please dont get overly anxious, I have seen similar reactions to Baytril injections on numerous occasions over the years. It is even noted as a possible 'adverse reaction' on the product data sheet

''In rabbits, reactions (from reddening to ulcerative lesions with deep loss of tissue), may occur. They may persist at least up to 17 days after the injection.''

Full details here :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Bayer_plc/Baytril_25_mg_ml_Solution_for_Injection/-67957.html

Thank you. I will keep a close eye on it. He seems well in himself so fingers crossed it heals. So pleased for this site and all your advice

It will be fine to wait until Monday - give them a ring and explain. Take him in if really worried ... I have had this with my rabbits before, and I have managed to heal them up quite fast :thumb:

Back