• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Gone seed crazy & ordered from Galens garden seeds for growing indoors :-)

chelle

Warren Veteran
As above,,,just ordered

Cocksfoot Grass seed (Orchard Grass)
Italian Rye grass seed
Oat grass seed
Barley grass seed
Alfalfa grass seed
Fenugreek seed

wahooo...going to set up lots of containers & plant the seeds then put a grid over the top so the bunnies can only eat down abit & not to the roots..then take away and hopefully they will just keep re sprouting...will post pics if I remember..lol

Just a little excited..lol.
:wave:

lol....I was saying to him yesterday that maybe a pot on the bedroom windowsill would get better light than at the fronof the house...he was like yeah///noo/////yeah///maybe///lol

I dont have much windowsill space where there is light...so abit awkward...

I want it to look nice too but he just says grow it all next year & im, like I bought it to start off indoors for the winter..lol...
we will see..he knows that the buns will love it when its grown...lol

lol....I was saying to him yesterday that maybe a pot on the bedroom windowsill would get better light than at the fronof the house...he was like yeah///noo/////yeah///maybe///lol

I dont have much windowsill space where there is light...so abit awkward...

I want it to look nice too but he just says grow it all next year & im, like I bought it to start off indoors for the winter..lol...
we will see..he knows that the buns will love it when its grown...lol

I wonder if you could design some fancy window display holder for them, like people do outdoors in summer, but just on your windowsills instead :)

The only thing about stuff grown on windowsills is that it can get a bit 'leggy'

If you've anywhere outside, to cover them with polythene or put them in a cloche of some sort, it doesn't happen so much :thumb:

Your buns will be very lucky :D

This might be an idea for me to keep my lady ticking over while I sort the garden out. My grass supplies are getting less and less lol. Thanks for posting! I would never have know about this :)

No worries - its fun though it does take a few weeks for them to grow but still you can alternate them so eventually you'll have something on the go all the time...im thinking of cutting bits off to feed the buns so it re-grows another shoot but it might be more fun to just give the buns all of it and let them destroy it..lol

Sounds wonderful for you bunnies :) I'm planning on planting two tubs with a rabbit mix for my Ruby, but I don't know if two tubs will be enough. Any ideas on how long it takes for the grass and weeds to grow back? Do I need to have more than two tubs?

Sorry for hijacking your thread a little bit. How many containers are you going for?

Oh wow, maybe I need to buy more storage boxes :p I imagine the rabbits will probably clear one each day! Are you going to be taking cuttings for them or just giving them the container?

Sounds wonderful for you bunnies :) I'm planning on planting two tubs with a rabbit mix for my Ruby, but I don't know if two tubs will be enough. Any ideas on how long it takes for the grass and weeds to grow back? Do I need to have more than two tubs?

Sorry for hijacking your thread a little bit. How many containers are you going for?

Its a wonderful idea and then you get the seeds and realise oyu could plant half a gardens worth - lol!

I started my orchard (cocksfoot) grass 9 days ago and this is what it looks like now

https://goo.gl/photos/5CiVTZLaFsiEQ5f48

Its about almost 7-10 cm tall but super fine..so might put it outside during the day at least to toughen up abit.

Depends on the size of the tubs but Id do more for sure as they reckon it takes about 3 weeks for it to grow...except the rye which can take longer (I think) as Ive not grown it before. But i bought it from galens garden - the seeds that is and the lady there is very very helpful and knows all about what works etc.

Id grow 4-6 tubs and alternate them...but depends how much space youve got thats out of reach for the bunnnies..lol

Oh wow, maybe I need to buy more storage boxes :p I imagine the rabbits will probably clear one each day! Are you going to be taking cuttings for them or just giving them the container?

Not 100% sure - i know that they would just devour them straight away...so might do cuttings until Ive a few good pots and then just give them one.

If I had more room Id grow two of each kind and then always have one devoured and one growing if that makes sense... :)

I might start with 2 and see how they work out :) They are underbed storage boxes that I'm using, so a fairly good size I think. But I'll get some more if I need to.

What size tubs are you using?

Oh underbed storage tubs are perfect - id use them if i had space but i dont ....the one Ive planted is about 30 cm long & about 20cm wide...so not huge...the ide a was to plant loads of tubs so that I could share smaller ones between the three buns however space is an issue ...welll for my OH - lol!
Id get an indoor plant stand & plant trays of stuff if i could...lol....

Where are you keeping yours?
What seeds are you planting?

I might start with 2 and see how they work out :) They are underbed storage boxes that I'm using, so a fairly good size I think. But I'll get some more if I need to.

What size tubs are you using?

I'm planning on keeping mine outside, I'm going to drill holes in the bottom of the storage boxes so they can drain. I'm just going to gave to find a raised area to put them so that Ruby doesn't eat them during free time.

I got my seeds from Shelled Warriors Shop on Ebay, and they are a mix of:

1. Meadow fescue

2. Cocksfoot

3. Sheeps fescue

4. Tall fescue

5. Creeping red fescue

6. Red fescue

7. Timothy grass

8. Dandelion

9. Chickweed

10. Crimson Clover

11. White clover

12. Red clover

13. Aslike clover

14. Chicory

15. Plantain

2. Trefoil

17. Yarrow

18. Shepards Purse

19. Vetch

20. Ladys bedstraw

21. Hedge bedstraw

22. Knapweed

23. Chickweed

24. White Musk Mallow

and some free dandelion seeds :D I just need to figure out how many to plant in each tub now, I have no instructions

I have the seeds for shelled warriors :D I just gave them a good sprinkle over the seed tray :D they are coming up at the moment, I'm so excited haha

Brilliant, so a few weeks to get a couple of tubs up and running :) I might do them a week apart so I can cycle them.

Back