• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help bonding! Please help!

SoxTheBunBun

New Kit
I have to bunnies that I have the intention of trying to bond, but the one doesn't seem to like the other. We didn't have the liberty of letting one pick the other, they both needed to be adopted when we found them. Our two buns are named Sox and Boots. Sox is a girl and is about 6 months old while Boots is a boy and is about 4-5 months. Sox doesn't like him and tends to nip and 'box' at him when they're near each other. I was thinking it would be best to wait until he's older, but I don't know if it would help. Neither of them are spayed/neutered... We're getting Boots done definitely but we're having a hard time getting Sox done because girls cost a ton here and we don't have any vets who are super willing to do it at a lower price.... Would just getting him fixed and waiting until hes older to introduce him help? Is there anything else we can do to help? Any advice is appreciated.

If you are putting them together then the girl will get pregnant, if she is pregnant then she won't want the boy bothering her. So I would get the boy neutered asap. The other reason she seems not to like him is if you are putting him into her "space". Females are territorial and defend it, so, once the boy is neutered, leave a couple of weeks for him to heal, then you can introduce them in a neutral area where the female has not been and see if she likes him better when she is away from her territory.

They are both old enough now to be neutered and bonded.

Although the average length of time until most rabbits are pretty well bonded is about one week, we have seen rabbits take as little as one afternoon or as long as many months to become friends. Neutral territory is imperative. YOU MUST put the rabbits (and keep the rabbits) in a small, neutral area for about one week. Beginning the bonding in a small, neutral territory is vital to this relationship working out. A kitchen, bathroom, or portable exercise pen all work well. DO NOT put them in a cage together until they have been getting along perfectly for several days. If a serious fight breaks out in a cage, it is generally difficult to separate them.

Although the average length of time until most rabbits are pretty well bonded is about one week, we have seen rabbits take as little as one afternoon or as long as many months to become friends. Neutral territory is imperative. YOU MUST put the rabbits (and keep the rabbits) in a small, neutral area for about one week. Beginning the bonding in a small, neutral territory is vital to this relationship working out. A kitchen, bathroom, or portable exercise pen all work well. DO NOT put them in a cage together until they have been getting along perfectly for several days. If a serious fight breaks out in a cage, it is generally difficult to separate them.

I agree but these 2 bunnies aren't neutered yet!

Back