• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Depressed?

MiniC

Wise Old Thumper
I posted a thread a couple of days ago, so I hope people don't mind one again so soon. I'm new to rabbit ownership, so probably doing that 'new parent' type of thing, where every cough is the sign of a deadly disease!

Anyway, today I'm a bit worried our Billy might be depressed. He hasn't left his hiding place much for the last few days, he is eating less (about half of what he used to). Last week, if I put a puzzle or toy in for him, he'd be on it the instant our backs were turned, but he's not touched any for 3 days now (or if he has, he's given up pretty fast). We're still trying to gain his trust, and haven't been able to stroke him yet, so I can't tell whether he's interacting less. I don't know how to get him happier again - can anyone help?

It's all the more difficult as he's still getting used to us, so anything we do needs to be a bit hands off.

Hello, he may be poorly if he's off his food. One thing I've learnt is that even when rabbits don't want to interact / play they still love to eat. If there's a problem with his teeth then this would reduce the amount that he eats, but might also mean that he's in pain which could explain the change in his behaviour.
Is he still pooping?
I think you should get him checked out by a vet.

Hi Sara, thanks for the advice. He's still pooping, so that's something. Teeth might make some sense, he's not taking as much hay as I think he should. I worry about taking him out if it's nothing - we'd have to take the top off his safe space, and he won't like being touched...

Sorry to hear Billy is out of sorts. As prey animals the only sign we often see when bunnies are ill is withdrawn behaviour & reduced appetite (its in their interests as a species to hide illness). I'm afraid I agree he needs to see a vet - early intervention if he goes in to stasis / has dental issues is crucial.

I hope everything goes well for you both - please let us know how you get on

Thanks guys. I've booked him in to see the vet this evening. In all fairness, we need to take him to the vets anyway for routine jabs (adopted bunny, so we don't know his history) - I wanted to wait until he trusted us a little more, but at the very least I'll do two birds with one stone and save him a second stressful trip!

Will let you know how he gets on.

Thanks guys. I've booked him in to see the vet this evening. In all fairness, we need to take him to the vets anyway for routine jabs (adopted bunny, so we don't know his history) - I wanted to wait until he trusted us a little more, but at the very least I'll do two birds with one stone and save him a second stressful trip!

:thumb: good luck, it's always tricky - trying to avoid visits to the vets so's not to stress out your rabbit, but if you're having jabs anyway it makes sense to do both at the same time. Hope all goes well

Tell the vet firstly that you're worried about him not eating as he usually does. A rabbit who is unwell shouldn't be vaccinated. Get him back to normal eating levels, and playing with the toys he loved, before anything else - I would say :D

Good Luck at the vets tonight

Tell the vet firstly that you're worried about him not eating as he usually does. A rabbit who is unwell shouldn't be vaccinated. Get him back to normal eating levels, and playing with the toys he loved, before anything else - I would say :D

Good Luck at the vets tonight

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. I said on the phone that he was out of sorts, so they already know, but I'll mention it first thing in the appointment.

Hi all!

Back from the vets, and she said Billy is fine. Stomach feels fine, teeth fine, weight fine and she clipped his nails and gave him his jabs. Poor thing was petrified, and I felt awful for taking him! But at least I found a purpose to his visit with the jabs. She thinks it's still settling in nerves.

He ran to me for protection when the vet was trying to look at him. I hope it means I've not ruined all trust with him! He's not immediately bolting for his safe space when I walk past his cage ust now, but he's watching me really closely.

Last edited:
I'm glad all seems well with Billy. I'd keep an eye on his input & output anyway. My bunnies have never held a vet visit against me - I think they are just relieved to get back home. Rescue remedy might help him with future stressful events

I have rescue remedy - alcohol and non alcohol based, but I wasn't sure if/how much is safe. I can still give him some now, there's no harm in it.

I have rescue remedy - alcohol and non alcohol based, but I wasn't sure if/how much is safe. I can still give him some now, there's no harm in it.

Why not? It can't hurt - I'd go alcohol free though. I give 1 drop per bunny

I wasn't sure how much Billy weighed when we adopted him, so when the guy said he needs 70g of pellets a day, we didn't question it. Got his weight at the vets, and checked the GDA on the bag there, and he really should only have 50g. That would explain why he started eating less at least.

I wasn't sure how much Billy weighed when we adopted him, so when the guy said he needs 70g of pellets a day, we didn't question it. Got his weight at the vets, and checked the GDA on the bag there, and he really should only have 50g. That would explain why he started eating less at least.

That's really reassuring I feel. Making changes to his diet is easier than addressing dental issues & will go along way to preventing future ones. Some people don't feed pellets at all. 50g I would say is excessive still. My bunnies have 10g each & I'm probably over generous . How much does Billy weigh?

That's really reassuring I feel. Making changes to his diet is easier than addressing dental issues & will go along way to preventing future ones. Some people don't feed pellets at all. 50g I would say is excessive still. My bunnies have 10g each & I'm probably over generous . How much does Billy weigh?

Just shy of 1.9kg. He does get treats on top of the pellets, like dried flowers and little rabbit biscuits, and veggies as well. I'll confess he's a bit spoiled just now, as it's a new home...

Just shy of 1.9kg. He does get treats on top of the pellets, like dried flowers and little rabbit biscuits, and veggies as well. I'll confess he's a bit spoiled just now, as it's a new home...

I really hope you don't mind my saying but his pellet to weight ratio is really quite high & adding rabbit biscuits to this is too much. There are loads of really healthy treats that buns enjoy, forage, herbs, leafy greens & endless quantities of hay..they will still feel loved & spoiled but you won't risk spoiling their health in the process. I learnt the hard way with my 1st bunny.

This site is really useful
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Oh no, I don't mind you saying! The sooner we learn the better. I feel like we got very conflicting advice from the pet shop when we first stocked up, saying to avoid too much fresh veg - saying to only give half a golf ball sized amount of veg a day (incl lettuce), and also the over-recommended pellet amounts. I know to keep fruit quite limited because it's sugary. Anyway, I'll reduce pellets a little further still, and we don't intend to give him this many treats forever. He has as much hay as he can possibly want.

Oh no, I don't mind you saying! The sooner we learn the better. I feel like we got very conflicting advice from the pet shop when we first stocked up, saying to avoid too much fresh veg - saying to only give half a golf ball sized amount of veg a day (incl lettuce), and also the over-recommended pellet amounts. I know to keep fruit quite limited because it's sugary. Anyway, I'll reduce pellets a little further still, and we don't intend to give him this many treats forever. He has as much hay as he can possibly want.

Pet shops & breeders tend to be shockers for giving rubbish advice about feeding . lucky we have this delightful little forum. You can't beat the advice on that link I gave you though, the author is amazing & THE leading expert in rabbit diet, dentistry etc.

Glad to read through all this and he is healthy but just over eating and settling in..lol..bless him.

I agree -the link is a good one...she is an amazing woman and hugely qualified in rabbit stuff! ;-)

Just think the more wild diet a rabbit can have the healthier they will be with all that high fibre and constant chewing..they are grazers so should really be eating most of the time...it keeps their teeth worn down as they never stop growing so this is essential.

There is a brilliant forage book you can buy for £4...and once picked you can also dry the plants for winter use.
Remember to not use store bought plants due to insecticides & pesticides. Or pick near roads were car pollution can coat the plants or dogs can wee on them.

here is the link
http://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Just thought I’d pop in with an update on Billy now he’s had a few days to recover from the stressful vet visit!

Although I feel bad for subjecting him to the stress, it seems to have done some good. When I brought him home, I put him down outside his cage and let him hop in of his own accord, and it seems to have made him aware there is a world outside his cage. The cage has a big lip around the base, so we put a step down outside the cage around the same height, and started putting some food on it. Before the vet, he wouldn't go near the door, never mind the food, but after Friday he started sticking his nose out to take food from outside the door. Last night my OH put something a little further out, that would have required him to hop out to get, and while OH’s back was turned, the food disappeared, so either we have a poltergeist, or Billy left his cage for the first time!

He is spending more time outside of his hiding place while we are in the room, although he still runs from us, and is still wary about taking anything from our hands. We think bonding with him will be a lot easier when he feels comfortable enough to leave his cage though, as we can then start lying on the floor and coming down to his level. I don’t think he would have left his cage without the intervention, so it was worth our while. Ultimately, we want him to be free-range, but only when he is ready for it.

He seems to be alright with less pellets, and I have increased the amount of lettuce and other leaves we give him, but he doesn't seem to be complaining.

Back