• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating veg

Anthea

New Kit
Hi, can somebody please tell me why my bunnie has loose droppings every time I give him some veg, when I stop it for a day or 2 he's fine .

Hi, can somebody please tell me why my bunnie has loose droppings every time I give him some veg, when I stop it for a day or 2 he's fine .

Hello

How old is your Rabbit ? What type of veg are you feeding him and exactly how much at a time ?

Hi, my bunnie is 6 months old, I am only feeding him a small bowl full, of mixed veg, curly kale romain lettuce, very little carrot, cucumber green beans, cauliflower very little broccoli baby corn, this is a selection of what I feed him but not all at once

Hi, my bunnie is 6 months old, I am only feeding him a small bowl full, of mixed veg, curly kale romain lettuce, very little carrot, cucumber green beans, cauliflower very little broccoli baby corn, this is a selection of what I feed him but not all at once, any advice welcome .

I would say cut to a very tiny amount, like 50p piece of kale a day to gently get his tummy used to it. If you can give him more wild forage instead, that might go down better to start. Things like dandelion, or some grass from the garden hand picked and washed, still tiny amounts to start. Lettuce I know is more likely than others to give softer poos, and carrot wouldnt hurt to cut out. I dont know about corn, but broccoli can come out for now as thats another possibly tummy aggravating one. Theres a lot of wild plant forage you can feed them, that are usually tolerated much better til he gets used to greens, and if you have a browse on this forum there are some incredibly knowledgeable people with what plants bunnies can have. Also, herbs usually go down well with minimal tummy issues, mine love corriander leaves (all fresh of course) and parsley.

Grass hay is rich in Vitamin A and D as well as calcium, protein and other nutrients. Eating hay promotes healthy teeth and gastrointestinal tract and should be available to your rabbit at all times. Varying the type of grass hay or mixing hays is a great idea (such as timothy, orchard, oat hay, brome, etc). Avoid the use of alfalfa hay as the primary source of hay due to the fact it is very high in calories and protein, far more than the average house rabbit needs.

Back