• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc's having a bad back spasm - advice please

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
bisc has spondylosis and he's aggravated his back somehow and it keeps going into spasm which is making him very upset. he's pacing and breathing fast. but he paces and then lies down, then paces again :cry:

vet has advised letting him rest for now and seeing if he starts to calm down and is able to gradually move more easily. if his back end remains as weak as it is now then we have to take him in. although i'm not sure what they can do for something like this.

i'm so upset seeing him like this and not being able to help. worse still, he's still on 1.5ml metacam twice a day so the inflammation should be under control, and it has been until whatever has happened just recently today. i think it might have been the jump out the back door into the garden that has suddenly aggravated it :cry:

eta: could also be neurological but we'll know based on whether it improves with rest or not.

Last edited:
I've no advice but Binky has the same condition and had a bad episode about a months ago. The vet gave him vetergesic and gave me some more to give at home. Thankfully he didn't need them as he's been alright since. I hope Bisc's calms down soon too. Maybe just one or two shots of something stronger might see him through this

I'm so sorry. I have no advice but hope he improves quickly. It's awful seeing them in pain. Hopefully the metacam is helping. Is he still eating?

I've no advice but Binky has the same condition and had a bad episode about a months ago. The vet gave him vetergesic and gave me some more to give at home. Thankfully he didn't need them as he's been alright since. I hope Bisc's calms down soon too. Maybe just one or two shots of something stronger might see him through this

thank you. the vet said he can have an extra dose of metacam but just for a couple of days just to settle everything down. but he didn't mention anything else at this point. just that letting him rest first might be the best thing to do.

thankfully his pacing is slowing down now but his back end is still very weak. it's awful :cry:

No advice - but sounds utterly awful having to watch. Hopefully the extra metacam will help the poor boy.

I'm so sorry. I have no advice but hope he improves quickly. It's awful seeing them in pain. Hopefully the metacam is helping. Is he still eating?

it's horrible. i tried to comfort him but he was too frantic. he's not eaten anything yet since it happened. he's only just now starting to stop pacing. he doesn't normally eat this time of day anyway and is normally asleep but because the sun was out and it helps his back, we took him outside and then his back end just went and he came back inside and then it continued from there. we contacted the vet and thankfully he was able to come straight to the phone to speak with me.

i feel really helpless.

If the warm sun was helping his back, would maybe a warm cloth or something like that on his back help maybe?

Sorry to hear this.

I am late to this thread, but I do know that Tramadol is used for soft tissue pain like muscle spasms. I don't know if that would be appropriate to consider in Bisc's case?

There is also Gabapentin, but I'm guessing that would be for a stage on and not for now ...

I hope things are improving :D

he's in the corner still with his heatpad. i've been lying with him and holding it against his back for him. he seems to like that. and is letting me comfort him now. his breathing is still not right though but it's alot better than it was. he stands up every so often but then lies back down again and starts breathing more quickly again. hopefully he can move, he just needs to rest more first. i've moved his water and some food to right by him so he can reach it easily if he wants to.

the vet didn't say what they would give him later on if we took him in, but just mentioned the metacam for now and rest. then if he's not right later on, bring him in.

just now whilst typing, bisc has taken one step forward to bow at the moved water bowl, and then gone back again. so that's further than he's moved since i posted he had stopped pacing. hopefully the heatpad is helping now. and he's letting me comfort him which means he's calmed down alot.

he's up and about now. hopped to the litter tray to the toilet and is eating some hay. hopefully that means things are starting to settle down. i need to cry again now but with relief this time.

bisc is much brighter than he was and is moving around normally now. his back end looks ok again, no wobbliness, but maybe a bit stiff as you'd expect. he's eating and drinking normally now and toileting aswell but i think this will set his tummy off slightly which is what always happens when he's stressed. he's a bit worn out as you'd expect after something like that, but we've been comforting him lots and letting him know we are here for him. he's accepting strokes and massages again now so i've been doing that gently for him.

i think it was the heat pad that helped the most in the end. so he'll have that everyday/night now and we need to get a little ramp or something to help him get outside and back in again without hurting himself.

So glad he's feeling better :) It's heartbreaking seeing them poorly xxx

thank you. he's brightened up even more now thank goodness :love: i've been lying on the floor with him alot and covering him in kisses :love:

thank you so much again for asking if we needed anything from the vets earlier on. it probably sounds silly but it meant alot to me. i get emotional when people are kind to me :oops: x

What a relief he is feeling better now - and it does help knowing you can help him. Must have been so awful watching him go through the spasms - so glad he is feeling better now :thumb:

bisc's still ok today. a little bit quiet but not surprising after yesterday. but he's eating, drinking etc fine so that's good. think he just needs some quiet and rest and pampering x

Back