• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unwell rabbit

inthe wind

New Kit
Hi there. I'm a first time poster, and can I just say that this site has been invaluable to me in learning about rabbits. Thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm feeling a bit helpless at the moment. My friend, who I live with, got a pet rabbit(her second one) almost 3 years ago. His name is Truci and after a few months he became more bonded with me and would always come to me for a head scratch/rub. I have become really attatched to the little guy.

He had always been in good health but this morning he wasn't interested in his breakfast and came out of his cage and was just sitting around looking uncomfortable. At first we thought he might just be having a bad morning but then we became concerned because it was totally out of character. We made an appointment for the vet for 5pm and my friend took him in and they did x-rays and concluded that something is stuck in his stomach. They gave him something to make him eat and she brought him home and we were told to watch him for an hour or two to see if there was some improvement. He did eat a little and drank quite a bit of water, but still just sat around not looking too happy.

As he didn't seem better, 45 minutes ago my friend took him to the emergency vet, where he'll have more x-rays to see if there has been some movement, or worst case scenario, have surgery(if possible at this time of night). As I said, I'm feeling a bit helpless and just wanted to post this where there are like-minded rabbit lovers. Any positive energy or vibes much appreciated as I'm a bit worried about him having surgery if it is necessary. Also, he might not be able to have the surgery tonight so any advice on how to care for him till morning would be good. Thanks a lot:)

Well, firstly, well done on getting him to a vet quickly. The vet is certainly thinking along the right lines although I'd expect meds and intensive nursing rather than surgery in the first instance. Sending lots of nose rubs to him. Paws crossed. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there. I'm a first time poster, and can I just say that this site has been invaluable to me in learning about rabbits. Thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm feeling a bit helpless at the moment. My friend, who I live with, got a pet rabbit(her second one) almost 3 years ago. His name is Truci and after a few months he became more bonded with me and would always come to me for a head scratch/rub. I have become really attatched to the little guy.

He had always been in good health but this morning he wasn't interested in his breakfast and came out of his cage and was just sitting around looking uncomfortable. At first we thought he might just be having a bad morning but then we became concerned because it was totally out of character. We made an appointment for the vet for 5pm and my friend took him in and they did x-rays and concluded that something is stuck in his stomach. They gave him something to make him eat and she brought him home and we were told to watch him for an hour or two to see if there was some improvement. He did eat a little and drank quite a bit of water, but still just sat around not looking too happy.

As he didn't seem better, 45 minutes ago my friend took him to the emergency vet, where he'll have more x-rays to see if there has been some movement, or worst case scenario, have surgery(if possible at this time of night). As I said, I'm feeling a bit helpless and just wanted to post this where there are like-minded rabbit lovers. Any positive energy or vibes much appreciated as I'm a bit worried about him having surgery if it is necessary. Also, he might not be able to have the surgery tonight so any advice on how to care for him till morning would be good. Thanks a lot:)

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I'm glad you've found some info on this site useful :D

Poor little Truci. I hope your vet is experienced in rabbit surgery for blockage. Sending you lots and lots of good vibes - eating and drinking and pooing, and hopefully it won't come to that!

Very often it's a gut slow down and not actual blockage. Let's hope!

Please call in again tomorrow and update us here :D

Hello, I am very sorry to hear that Truci is unwell.

You do not mention if the Vet administered any pain relief at the first consultation ? If not that could well be why there was no apparent improvement. Rabbits in pain (regardless of the cause of the pain) will not eat. Also, what fecal output has been occurring is very relevant, had Truci passed any faeces at all just prior to/during her current illness ?

As the Vet hopefully explained surgery on the GI tract of a Rabbit is a high risk procedure and not one to be carried out by a Vet with little experience in the specific surgery required.

A blood glucose test is a useful tool in assessing a case of gut stasis. A significantly elevated blood glucose can indicate a full intestinal blockage, Xrays are also necessary which, as you say, Truci had. But as the Vet administered drugs to promote gut motility it seems that he/she concluded that there was not a full obstruction. Prokinetics (gut motility meds) are contraindicated in cases of full obstruction.

It is a positive that Truci had a good drink of water, fluids are as essential as medication when treating gut stasis. When a Rabbit's GI tract stops working its contents rapidly dehydrate, making it even more difficult for ingesta to break down and pass through. Fluids by both oral and IV routes are usually necessary to maximise hydration.

These links may be useful to Bookmark

http://www.vetsonline.com/publicati...n-42-47/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits.html#f1

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/GastricStasis_Rabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/AcuteGIT_ObstructionRabbits.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/PhysicalTraumatic/GIT_ForeignBodiesRabbits.htm

http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf

http://www.sawneeanimalclinic.com/d..._obstruction,_gastric_dilation_in_rabbits.pdf

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I do hope that this morning you and your friend will hear some better news about Truci.

Thanks for your well wishes and advice. About 3 hours after returning from the second vet visit, where we got pain killers and something to induce his appetite, he started moving around as usual, eating/drinking and being himself again. We took him to the vet at 8am this morning just to be sure and got good news(though we'll keep a close eye on him). Just now he's eating his hay and looking happy. So relieved...

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more and contributing in the forums.

Thanks for your well wishes and advice. About 3 hours after returning from the second vet visit, where we got pain killers and something to induce his appetite, he started moving around as usual, eating/drinking and being himself again. We took him to the vet at 8am this morning just to be sure and got good news(though we'll keep a close eye on him). Just now he's eating his hay and looking happy. So relieved...

Thanks again and I look forward to learning more and contributing in the forums.

Great, sounds as though it was the pain relief which made all the difference. That is one thing to bear in mind for future reference. Some less 'Rabbit Savvy' Vets seem unable to grasp the fact that Rabbits do not exhibit signs of pain in the same way as other species such as cats or dogs. So sadly it is still the case that some Vets fail to address the fact that pain may be playing a significant part in a Rabbits malaise. Dont be afraid to ask outright about pain relief for an unwell Rabbit if the Vet fails to prescribe it. I would also want to consider seeking out a more 'Rabbit Savvy' Vet for future consultations as I would not be happy to continue consulting a Vet who failed to prescribe pain relief to my Rabbit.

Another link to bookmark !

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=500&S=1&SourceID=43

Thank you for the update!

I am so pleased that Truci is now himself! It sounds as though your vet knows just what to do in these circumstances.

I bet you are really relieved! x

cpayne - I'd like to share some pics but can't work out how to. I don't have any pics on the web so can't add a url, and it seems I don't have the permission to add an attatchment so I'm not sure how to do it. Any guidance would be appreciated:)

MightyMax - Not sure who is more relieved and happy, me or Truci... when I pet him he chatters louder than I've ever heard him before:)

Jack's-Jane - I'm sure it was the pain relief that made the difference. Thanks for your advice and the links. The second vet we tried was certainly better and we'll stick with her.

cpayne - I'd like to share some pics but can't work out how to. I don't have any pics on the web so can't add a url, and it seems I don't have the permission to add an attatchment so I'm not sure how to do it. Any guidance would be appreciated:)

MightyMax - Not sure who is more relieved and happy, me or Truci... when I pet him he chatters louder than I've ever heard him before:)

Jack's-Jane - I'm sure it was the pain relief that made the difference. Thanks for your advice and the links. The second vet we tried was certainly better and we'll stick with her.

You're welcome. I hope that Truci will remain well now xx

It's certainly good to find out who you can trust! :D

Here are a few pics of him(if it works...). First 2 from this morning, other 1 from last Xmas:)

xDLkglz.jpg

dDFjCgO.jpg

PtY6sm3.jpg

Back