• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best way forward with abscess

cara

Alpha Buck
So, Rosie has had a little abscess (around half cent) on the side of her paw for around 6 weeks (ish).

She has had Baytril, but this has not shifted it. Having said that, it is not bothering her and has not altered.

Went to the vets today (injection for ear mites), and discussed with vet who advised she would usually sedate and lance abscess, but in view of Rosie's age (13), she would be more inclined to keep an eye on it due to dangers of sedation at Rosie's age.

I am more than happy to do that (prefer not to unnecessarily distress Rosie), but is this a good strategy to take?

Penicillin based antibiotics by injection (eg. every other day for several weeks or months) are the usual treatment for rabbit abscesses, usually after surgical intervention. The aim is removal of the entire capsule. If lanced, the infected bit doesn't drain like other species as it is thick and cheesy in texture. An open abscess needs to be swabbed out daily. A high UMF factor Manuka honey can be used to pack the cavity and aids healing.

Oh my word ... sounds very intense. Injection every other day? Wondering how that would work ....

Oh my word ... sounds very intense. Injection every other day? Wondering how that would work ....

I think I have discussed this with you before, and I probably suggested then that Baytril wouldn't help her little abscess.

If it doesn't grow, I would be inclined to leave it, and not think about doing anything unless it got bigger. To be lanced and drained she would need sedation, as local anaesthetic wouldn't be effective enough to take away the pain. I don't think penicillin injections would do much unless the abscess was lanced and drained.

I hope by leaving well alone, all will be well and Rosie will continue to have a happy life with you :D

I would ask your vet about the full range of options available, along with the possible benefits and risks - ie. everything from 'do nothing', changing antibiotics, to surgical removal / lancing, and combinations of options.

If you go down the penicillin (eg Depocillin or Streptacare) route, you can be taught how to do the injections at home into the scruff of the neck. You may be given the syringes pre-loaded with the right dose, which makes it a little easier as you have less to think about. Just make sure that there is nothing that she can lick off as it causes major digestive upsets if taken orally. I've not had any issues with it long-term on several rabbits via injection.

Abscesses can get bigger and sometimes affect the underlying bone, so it needs watching even if it appears to be stable at the moment. I can understand why you don't want to put a 13 year old rabbit through an anaesthetic, though. It's a brilliant age for a rabbit.

I have dealt with a lot of abscesses and I agree with the advice given in the other posts re penicillin based injections.

I would be inclined to go down that route and see if it helps, failing that I would want it lanced and I would clean it out every day. It does seem intensive but you do get the hang of it.

I would ask your vet about the full range of options available, along with the possible benefits and risks - ie. everything from 'do nothing', changing antibiotics, to surgical removal / lancing, and combinations of options.

If you go down the penicillin (eg Depocillin or Streptacare) route, you can be taught how to do the injections at home into the scruff of the neck. You may be given the syringes pre-loaded with the right dose, which makes it a little easier as you have less to think about. Just make sure that there is nothing that she can lick off as it causes major digestive upsets if taken orally. I've not had any issues with it long-term on several rabbits via injection.

Abscesses can get bigger and sometimes affect the underlying bone, so it needs watching even if it appears to be stable at the moment. I can understand why you don't want to put a 13 year old rabbit through an anaesthetic, though. It's a brilliant age for a rabbit.

I think this is very good advice, especially that in bold font xx

Back