• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken foot?

Today I stepped back and stood on my rabbits foot. I was wearing clumpy shoes so it was probably quite heavy. He's still eating and drinking and hopping around fine but I hear that rabbits can mask their pain because they're prey so I'm not sure what to look for to know for sure if he's ok??

Hello, I'm sorry you've trod on bunny's foot. It's so easily done. I think you may have to book in to get that xrayed first thing in the morning. There are lots of bones in rabbits feet and such slim bones all over, bunnies are very fragile. Make sure you tell the vet that you were wearing heavy shoes. Hope bunny will be okay. Good luck. These accidents happen.

Today I stepped back and stood on my rabbits foot. I was wearing clumpy shoes so it was probably quite heavy. He's still eating and drinking and hopping around fine but I hear that rabbits can mask their pain because they're prey so I'm not sure what to look for to know for sure if he's ok??

Sorry to hear this :cry:

Is he limping at all? Or licking at his paw?

My daughter trod on one of our rabbit's paws completely by accident and she squealed - and I mean she really did squeal; it was loud! (so much for being a silent pet!). However, we didn't take her to the vet (didn't think of it to be honest :oops:) and she was fine; didn't favour that paw, no extra licking etc and the paw's fine. This was when we first got them though, so like 4 years ago when we were still learning.

So I personally think that if your rabbit is behaving normally and not favouring that paw/limping, then the chances are he will be okay. However, you must keep a very close eye on said paw and if things change over the next 48 hours - extra licking, limping, swelling, you MUST go and see your vet immediately.

But of course I'm no vet, I'm just going on what happened with us; maybe Niamh, being only 8 years old at the time, was light enough not to cause damage and the rabbit (can't remember which one now) squealed through the shock only, rather than pain.

So you know your rabbit, it's your conscience, if in any doubt, take him to the vet tomorrow for your own peace of mind.

Looking back, we should have but we got lucky I guess.

Last edited:
No, completely fine. No limping or licking. I watched him just to see how he landed and he was fine. When it happened he didn't make a noise or anything. He hopped off then he started following me around the kitchen. It's not sore to touch so I'm not sure if I've done any damage

No, completely fine. No limping or licking. I watched him just to see how he landed and he was fine. When it happened he didn't make a noise or anything. He hopped off then he started following me around the kitchen. It's not sore to touch so I'm not sure if I've done any damage

I would keep an eye out to see if anything changes.

It sounds like everything may be OK. I hope so!

has been bookmark, this seems like a very interesting thread
g.png

Back