• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Now Cody Sick :( coccidosis? ?!!

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
Cody stopped eatting this evening 6pm and is still not eatting at 11.40pm. I have given him cisapride, zantac and metacam. I syringe fed him at 10.30pm. I hav jjust checked his bum for poos and noticed a small amount of clear jelly lime substance which had some bits of pink in it. Possibly traces of blood but i am not sure. It was quite faint.. He was fine this morning and I don't have a decent vet to take him to til Monday morning :(

Just checked his bum again and definately pink jelly / mucus coming out. I have Googled this and coccidosis comes up !! What do I do??

Last edited:
If it is coccidosis do I need to quarantine Cody ?? Can I not allow Oliver in the garden where Cody has been lots ?? Guys I really have no more money for vet bills. Olivers bill today was £200 and i had a balance skready of £300 :( :( So stressed. The past year and a half i have paid nearly £4000 in vet bills with no insurance.

If it is coccidosis do I need to quarantine Cody ?? Can I not allow Oliver in the garden where Cody has been lots ?? Guys I really have no more money for vet bills. Olivers bill today was £200 and i had a balance skready of £300 :( :( So stressed. The past year and a half i have paid nearly £4000 in vet bills with no insurance.

Hi Nicky

I am so sorry to hear this.

Mucous in the poop indicates an inflamed gut. It's more serious I would say because Cody isn't eating. Is he drinking? Can you syringe him some water and baby food/fibreplex/critical care?

I would keep them apart for a little while, but it may not be coccidiosis - it's not that common ... there is always enteritis.

Have a read here: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

I absolutely sympathise with your predicament re vets bills. You really need a decent vet to see him in order to prescribe appropriate treatment - how is he now? Is he till the same? Not eating still and passing mucous?

Sending you loads of love and hugs x

Hi Might Max. Soo glad to see ur reply as I cannot sleep and have myself worked up. He still isn't eatting. I am syringe feeding critical care but no he isn't drinking so will syringe him water with his feed shortly. I have some fibreplex in the fridge bit its 6 months old but still in date. Wonder would it still be ok. I also have avipro prebiotic which i will put in his syringe water. Thanks for the link. So hope it's not cocidosis. Would he be more at risk with him still being on twice weekly depocillin? ? Glad to hear it could be enteritis as obviously not good but better than coccidosis. Could enteritis cause pink mucus ?? Thanks for the hugs. Mean alot. X

Morning Jane . Cody is maybe a bit brighter but still not eatting. I haven't seen anymore mucus since the 3rd wee bit around 2.30am. That should be positive i am thinking? ? He is taking his critical care very well 15mls every 3 hours and drinking his 10mls water from the syringe. I don't know what more to do at this point and just hope he starts to improve. Thank u so much for asking about him. Cody has been through alot recently also. X

Morning Jane . Cody is maybe a bit brighter but still not eatting. I haven't seen anymore mucus since the 3rd wee bit around 2.30am. That should be positive i am thinking? ? He is taking his critical care very well 15mls every 3 hours and drinking his 10mls water from the syringe. I don't know what more to do at this point and just hope he starts to improve. Thank u so much for asking about him. Cody has been through alot recently also. X

Nicky, it sounds like there are slow signs of some improvement. The Fibreplex should be OK.

Did you get any sleep yourself?

Please keep me posted ... :)

Is he still on the Azopt ? What about his 'sleepiness' has that remained the same ?

I hope that he will show some more signs of improvement throughout the day xx

Hi Mighty Max yes I got a couple of hours sleep inbetween feeds. I have now given him some fibreplex.

Jane no I stopped the drops as I didn't want them making him more sleepy if that is what is causing the sleepiness. Saw some more clear mucus but still no poos.

Last edited:
Hi Mighty Max yes I got a couple of hours sleep inbetween feeds. I have now given him some fibreplex.

Jane no I stopped the drops as I didn't want them making him more sleepy if that is what is causing the sleepiness. Saw some more clear mucus but still no poos.

Guys is it bad to feel I can't do this anymore mentally and financially?? I am a bad person for thinking this but I am just not coping very well with everything. I love them so much but I am becoming ill myself. I don't know what to do :( :(

Nicky, no it isn't bad. You have done, and are doing much more than millions would. But I know that's no consolation, and we all want to do everything we can.

No one will blame you and we will all support you 100% in whatever you decide to do from here forward.

Sending loads of hugs and hope you can get enough sleep to get some perspective on things.

Guys is it bad to feel I can't do this anymore mentally and financially?? I am a bad person for thinking this but I am just not coping very well with everything. I love them so much but I am becoming ill myself. I don't know what to do :( :(

If you were a 'bad' person you would not even bother taking your Rabbits to a Vet or seek additional advice and information by asking questions on here. There is always going to be a limit to how much can be done to try to help a sick Rabbit. Those 'limits' being dictated by many factors including financial and emotional. Sometimes a Rabbit may have a problem/problems which simply cannot be fixed, no matter how much money is spent on Vet fees and how much mental anguish the care giver endures. Cody has a lot of problems already, all of which might be contributing to this acute episode of anorexia and apparent signs of intestinal inflammation. Yes, it might be possible to set about a barrage of diagnostics to try to establish a primary cause. But, regardless of the financial issues, would it be 'right' for Cody to go through a lot more stress which may not even provide any answers. So in short, no, you are certainly not a 'bad' person.

As Cody is no longer on Azopt it may be that he has one heck of a headache if his intra-occular pressure has risen significantly again. That would certainly contribute to him not eating. How are his ears doing now ? Is he still on abx treatment for the infection ?

Thanks guys . I am feeling a bit better now. Comes in waves. I will do my very best for my buns and treat them somehow. Aw Jane u could be right . I changed to one drop per day instead of 2 (didn't stop completely) on Friday and Saturday . I just gave him his drops for today an hour ago and will stick to twice a day. Hope I haven't harmed him now. Just wanted to see if it improved his lethargy and i think it did but the payoff is now this . Still no poo but still taking syringe feeds and water well. Thanks again both of u. Ur words so mean alot x x

Yes Jane he is on twice weekly depocillin. The pus was cleaning well in his ear. Vet was very pleased. He is due ear and eye check up on 16th. I owe him a blood test at the very least. He is such a good boy and never any bother and already regret my previous post.My bbunnies r my babies so i must be strong for them

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear Cody is not well and I hope you are doing ok we all know how draining emotionally it can be with a poorly bunny.

It sounds are though there may be a number of factors and possibilities so just in my opinion you could do with vet diagnosis to try and assertain the problem if you feel this is the right way forward for Cody.

Thinking of you and hope for some brighter news about little Cody

Last edited:
Thanks Filly gal. Still no change but he is for the vet first thing in the morning. There r no emergency vets who r rabbit savy so have to wait til morning. I will have him down for first thing. I have also given him vetergesic. Him in pain is my biggest fear. I know medicating like this is not wot I recommend to others but i have no choice.

Thanks Filly gal. Still no change but he is for the vet first thing in the morning. There r no emergency vets who r rabbit savy so have to wait til morning. I will have him down for first thing. I have also given him vetergesic. Him in pain is my biggest fear. I know medicating like this is not wot I recommend to others but i have no choice.

Nicky, I would do exactly the same in your shoes.

We can't always get to a decent vet. We can't all afford good vets, let's face it. You've put yourself out financially, emotionally, time-wise and in every respect I can think of. You've left no stone unturned.

I wouldn't want any bunny of mine potentially in pain, and if I thought they were then I would also give pain relief 'just in case'.

Thinking of you, and hoping you get some rest tonight and answers tomorrow. I pray you'll have peace of mind xx

Thanks Mighty Max. Sometimes it's scary medicating without vets consent but without pain relief that would be a scarier position for the Code. Reassuring to know u would do the same. LLittle positive update. Cody has eaten 4 little dandelion leaves and a couple of pumpkin seeds which is great. He did have some more pink mucus but there were a few very small poo fragments in it so poo must hopefully be moving along. I am just wondering what tests I should expect the vet to carry out tomorrow? ? Bloods obviously and check his heart - is that just by stethoscope? Any more specific tests regarding the pink mucus as i am worried that is blood. Just after a bit of guidance for the morning.

Been to vet. Cody has a blockage with colitis :( no diarrhoea tho . Vet didn't have cisapride but i still have enough for a few days which he said to use and then to use emprid after. Also told to massage 3 times per day and 1 ml pineapple juice 3 times per day. Told to stop metacam because of the blood in the mucus. I am to continue with zantac as well. I hope he can pull through this. Oh also fibreplex 3 times a day. Told to stop the depocillin for now as well. I really need to see some poos soon.

Hi:wave:

Glad he's had a visit - did they xray him re the blockage to see the extent and check his glucose levels, the glucose test can establish just how much discomfort they are in?

It can be a long haul back to getting poos good again, one of my other bunnies was hospitalised last year for just over a week with a suspected blockage following xray - we had ups and downs for several months when he came home but with tons of tlc he has come through and is now producing excellent poos - he is now on a mainly forage diet but it has taken months to get to this stage but worth it.

We did have stages where his tum was very delicate producing very few poos and had occasions when he would go back to producing a few jelly type poos but they got less and less and now none at all and his tum is fine so know its hard but try and stay positive, know its so worrying.

Back