• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bathing your rabbit

Is it healthy to bath your rabbit?
I have bought my rabbit's some rabbit shampoo but I'm not sure if it is necessary to wash them or not as they are really clean as it it :)

What's your opinions?
Thanks!

No. Rabbits should never be bathed unless absolutely necessary, and even then it should only be a butt bath to clean the affected area.

Rabbits by nature are very clean animals and are constantly grooming themselves. The only reason a rabbit would need a butt bath is if there is some sort of health problem causing them to soil their bottom. And even then the butt bath should only be done if the soiling is very bad and can't be cleaned up with a cloth. Great care needs to be taken when giving butt baths as rabbits can easily be over stressed by this. And they absolutely have to be thoroughly dried or they could be susceptible to flystrike occurring.

So if your bunny is clean, no reason to ever bathe. If your rabbit is getting a soiled bottom, this should be checked by a rabbit vet and the vet can advise on giving a butt bath.

eta: sorry Jane, cross posted with you.

Last edited:
Is it healthy to bath your rabbit?
I have bought my rabbit's some rabbit shampoo but I'm not sure if it is necessary to wash them or not as they are really clean as it it :)

What's your opinions?
Thanks!

Rabbits should not be bathed unless there is a specific medical reason to do so :) For example a Rabbit who has a disability may be unable to keep him/herself clean and may need to have a bum/undercarriage wash to prevent urine scald,flystrike etc.

Okay thankyou for you help! I've always wondered and now I know, I shall leave them be :-D

I use an inch of luke warm water in a butt bath, but only when the bum gets dirty. Rabbits don't need washing, not even when they are white rabbits that look grubby!

No, as others have said only when absolutely necessary such as to clean their bottoms. I have a tough enough time clipping their nails, I shudder to imagine trying to bath a rabbit! :lol:

Back